Adding fish to quell aggression

ImaFlippinDolphin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I have a gold rim powder brown who absolutely terrorizes my hippo...I will say with confidence this hippo did bring this on herself when the other tang was introduced she abused him...heres where im at, I tried to catch the brown, was unsuccessful. I was going to sump him until he got act right in his system, I will be adding more fish to my system as my bioload is low I have 6 fish i guess, 2 clowns, 1 hippo, 1 brown, 1 wrasse and a black capped basslet...I need to add bioload for sure. Size of tank 192 display, I know that would be a question, I am thinking some lyretails maybe and definitely an emporer, my melanarus wrasse nips montipora polyps i noticed...but extension is still good. My list originally consisted of sohal, Chevron....I think adding multiple fish will slow the animosity maybe I'm wrong I dunno, advice?

lavoisier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your 192g DT 4' or 6'? Aggression is usually a combination of available space (competition), species, and individual fish personality. Instead of adding additional competitors you may want to look at different niches. More anthias, a dwarf angel or two, chromis (blue/green or blue reef), cardinals, and gobies would add diversity and interest without threatening your tangs.

jayoman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much live rock do you have? Scaping with lots of hiding places helps with aggression. If You are planning on adding several fish I would suggest doing them all at once. When you add one or two fish, the established ones tend to beat the hell out of new arrivals but if you add several ( 6 +] at a time They can’t fixate on one. From the size you described you have plenty of real estate to work with. Changing the rock work after introduction also works. Powder browns are notorious bullies but I have found in the past that any single fish that I added after it was a target. But when I added several fish it was so distracted It chilled. Seems counter intuitive but worked for me.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 140 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back