Adding fish

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently finished cycling my 90 reef tank, I moved over a pair of clowns, a gramma and a watchman goby, a few days later I added a Sixline wrasse, tail spot and Midas blenny along with 3 pj cardinal fish
When is it ok to add another round of fish ?
  • Tailspot / Midas
  • PJ Cardinal

Foxface

Coral beauty

Yellow Coris

aws2266

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following this as I'm going to be doing the same thing next month. I have 7 fish that are in a 55g and moving to a 120g, was thinking of adding them all over a weekend once the tank has finished cycling.

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's important to note that overloading the aquarium with too many fish initially can exceed what the bacteria can handle. This is why it is best to add new fish slowly over the next few months. The bacterial levels will adapt if you don't overload the system with too many mouths to feed.

OP
OP
Hilltopreef90

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's important to note that overloading the aquarium with too many fish initially can exceed what the bacteria can handle. This is why it is best to add new fish slowly over the next few months. The bacterial levels will adapt if you don't overload the system with too many mouths to feed.
So should I wait several weeks before adding more ? My next addition is a foxface coral beauty and a yellow coris wrasse

Poof No Eyebrows

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would monitor at the end of a one week period and if everything tests fine then add the next round. I don't think it's the fish your adding so much as the increasing amount of food that is what we want to keep an eye on.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Protein skimmer, reactor or media basket for carbon/GFO and a UV sterilizer are equipment I'd recommend planning for going forward. Also a Seachem Ammonia Alert badge and a good nitrate and phosphate test kit (Salifert, Red Sea, Nyos - not API).

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was planning on using divers den which would enable me to add them without quarantine from what I’ve been told
Many people have received sick fish from DD. There is still some risk there, as they do more conditioning than quarantining.

OP
OP
Hilltopreef90

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently finished cycling my 90 reef tank, I moved over a pair of clowns, a gramma and a watchman goby, a few days later I added a Sixline wrasse, tail spot and Midas blenny along with 3 pj cardinal fish
When is it ok to add another round of fish ?
  • Tailspot / Midas
  • PJ Cardinal

Foxface

Coral beauty

Yellow Coris
The list cut off the first set starting with the Royal gramma ending with the pj cardinals I already have except I only have 2 pj cardinalfish and plan to add 2-3 more or 1 so they’re more of a school

• Royal gramma
  • Pair of designer clowns
  • Sixline wrasse
  • Watchman goby/pistol shrimp
  • Tailspot / Midas /lawnmower
  • PJ Cardinal (4-5)

Foxface
Coral beauty
Yellow Coris

Carpenter
Red velvet
Scott’s