Adding juvenile clownfish to existing pair

SJR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 black/white clownfish - established pair. I have a candy apple anemone which they inhabit. No other fish in tank. Has anyone had experience in adding 3rd or 4th juvenile clownfish?

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on what Ive seen from my clown pairs not if they are bonded. Ive seen people have a trio of bonded ones, female two male. But all were put in at the same time. Im not sure if they would kill the new clown or not.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following! I have to common clowns in my big tank and a bonded pair of black storm clowns in another tank. Would love for all of them to live together in the big tank

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't say how large your tank is. Probably a nano if you only have a pair of clowns in it.

Do not do it. Clowns are not nice fish. You will end up having to catch a clown and return it or start a new tank to house a bullied fish.

Or worse flush it.

I have a black and white clown in her own 14g reef. I have personally been bit at least 500 times. I've seen her kill another clown, fire fish, and goby. The clown she beat. The other two she chased until they jumped. One I found crispy stuck to a wire and rug behind the tank. The goby though, he was lucky enough to be immediately gobbled up by my giant schnauzer. He loves how helfrichi tases. Says it's too expensive for daily meals. But for an occasional snack it's fantastic. Better than the rillettes I share with him.

Jokes aside. All of that is true except for the talking dog. Clowns are terrible nano fish if you want a community. Get a goby.

Last edited:

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a 20 cube tank I would not put more than 1 pair of Black Ocellaris in it.
If you have host anemones you can likely keep more than 2 but the spare wheels always have torn fine and missing scales. They always get abuse and cannot run to get away in a 20 cube tank.
In larger tanks it is OK but not in a 20 Gal CUBE tank.

OP
OP
S

SJR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a 20 cube tank I would not put more than 1 pair of Black Ocellaris in it.
If you have host anemones you can likely keep more than 2 but the spare wheels always have torn fine and missing scales. They always get abuse and cannot run to get away in a 20 cube tank.
In larger tanks it is OK but not in a 20 Gal CUBE tank.
Thank you. Will stick with the pair I have.

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a hypothesis.

Maybe the reason we fail adding additional clownfish to an already established pair is that the new comers are too large. On wild reefs, any additional clownfish entering an anemone with an already established pair are usually tiny, post-settlement juveniles just several weeks old. If you could find a clownfish breeder local to you, you may be able to purchase some young juveniles and test this.

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a hypothesis.

Maybe the reason we fail adding additional clownfish to an already established pair is that the new comers are too large. On wild reefs, any additional clownfish entering an anemone with an already established pair are usually tiny, post-settlement juveniles just several weeks old. If you could find a clownfish breeder local to you, you may be able to purchase some young juveniles and test this.
Clownfish eat their own fry this would be a mistake

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clownfish eat their own fry this would be a mistake
Clownfish parents may eat their own Larvae*, not “fry”. Clownfish juveniles settle back onto the reefs just several weeks after metamorphosis, going from pelagic larvae to juveniles looking for a host anemone.

Look at the picture below. The two adults in this picture could easily fit the smaller individual in their mouths if they wanted to.
IMG_2166.png

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 136 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 10 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.9%
Back