Adding LED Lighting

unclesalty663

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an ATI 6 bulb T-5 fixture on my 180. Want to add LED lighting for additional light and shimmer. Strip type would work the best I believe. Any suggestions?

JMM744

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an ATI 6 bulb T-5 fixture on my 180. Want to add LED lighting for additional light and shimmer. Strip type would work the best I believe. Any suggestions?
I just had a discussion with someone at BRS today about this very thing. He is running a reef brite strip on his T-5 light on one tank and I believe a Kessel on the other. I decided to try the reef brite. Hope it works out.

JMM744

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick follow up. I got the reef brite strip the other day and decided to try it out over my 70. Not enough light really. I had to place it right on top of the tank frame and to the front to see real pop out of it. Seeing as the intended use is a 40 breeder it should be fine with the shallower tank. I did read someone else's comments on the same light and it was stated that the light just wasn't strong enough to get the job done.

LostInTheDark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just wasn't strong enough to get the job done.
I've heard this said over and over.
The T5s really give off a lot of diffused light and it takes a good amount of punch to over power it for some "pop". I made my own light strip with 55 blue leds for some pop and it was barely noticeable when all 8 T5s were on. I still use it in conjunction with the ATI for sunrise/sunset. It makes the tank glow when they are on by themselves.

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 5 watt Cree XT-E in Royal Blue offers excellent brightness...Binning is important as the better bins can be 30% brighter and Bins for spectrum also matter...There is a huge difference in the color pop between the 450-455nm Bin and the 460-465nm

Back