Adding Live Ocean Rock to Established Aquarium

Tom Boyle

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 24, 2018
Messages
84
Reaction score
33
What state or country do you live in
Pennsylvania
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!

I have an established aquarium with 4 small fish (a lionfish, a trigger, a grouper and a banana eel). The eel was a late addition, and I was looking to create more spots for him to hide. I had bought gulf live rock back in March and used that for my initial cycle. My question is if I buy another 20 lbs of ocean live rock (currently have 35 in aquarium), would that re start the cycle? I don’t want to mess with the fish as they are all doing great. Thank you!!
 
If you do the water shipped Rock from Tampa Bay, then no cycle, death or issues other than possible adding pests.
 
Depends on how much die off and how quickly the rock gets to you.

I ordered 35 lbs from them and it got to me in 2 days. I gave it a quick smell test, brushed loose stuff off and put it in my tank. This is a 270 gal system though…but I never had an ammonia spike and everything was fine.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 44.0%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new