Adding live rock and inverts to aquarium?

  • Thread starter Thread starter chris124
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

chris124

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
402
Reaction score
75
Location
nc
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I have a 30 gallon aquarium with 1 bangii cardinal and 2 clowns and every thing is great ammonia is 0 -nitrite 0 -nitrate 20 ppm- ph8.0-temp 78F -sg is 1.022-. Is a sg of 1.022 to low for live rock. I would like to add some snails or a shrimp or two to the aquarium but I think a nitrate of 20 ppm is to high for inverts what do you think and if it is to high how can I lower it? I do a 20% water change every two weeks. Thanks.
 
20ppm nitrates is fine in a FO aquarium but lower is better, easiest way to get it lower is just by doing large water changes.

You'll be fine adding inverts, do your research in what you want in terms of hermits, snails and shrimp. As for adding live rock you have to make sure it's fully cured otherwise you could cause a mini cycle. If you want to add rock to a cycled aquarium easiest and best way to go IMO is base rock!
 
Oh and your salinity is good too! If you want to add corals I would suggest raising it slowly to 1.025/6
 
Thanks for your help I think I hold off on corals for now. Thanks.
 
I;am thinking about getting two of the skunk cleaner shrimp for my tank would they be ok with the bangii cardinal and two clowns? I feed my fish mysis shrimp can the cleaner shrimp eat that to or do they need something else? Thanks.
 
I;am thinking about getting two of the skunk cleaner shrimp for my tank would they be ok with the bangii cardinal and two clowns? I feed my fish mysis shrimp can the cleaner shrimp eat that to or do they need something else? Thanks.

Nope you should be good, can't see you having any problems with those!
 
You should try some easy corals like zoas and leather give it a shot if you think you are ready.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 24 19.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 30.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 17 14.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new