Adding more damsels to reduce aggression

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So first, I’m going to preface this as research only question and that overstocking a tank is not reccomended and can lead to poor health of your fish.

With that said, I noticed with freshwater cichlids, if you overstock them in a tank (provided sufficient filtration), agression is decreased as they are not able to set up territories. Does anyone know if the same holds true for damsels? Like say you put 20 in a 40 gallon tank with adequate filtration (I know too small for full grown but just for example purposes), due to the shear quantity would aggression be reduced because they couldn’t set up territories?

Kind of like the fish in “Tanked” aquariums or even Public Aquariums (always seem overstocked)

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As damsels grow they get far more aggressive. Remember, reefs cannot be stocked as heavily as fresh water or that is my experience. You might get by with damsels of greatly different appearances. Or you could be right (say 6 or 8 fish). Get inexpensive damsels and try it. If they murder each other, you are not out much. But I would not try it.

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Goes against being a responsible fish keeper. You should be setting up a habitat suitable for the fish in my opinion.

OP
OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree it goes against being responsible. I was just curious if it’s been found aggression is less when a territory can’t be set up. Seems like it would likely be the opposite. A dominant one will just harass the others til they die and it gets its own Territory

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 164 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back