Adding multiple tangs

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a yellow eye like tang. Been in the tank for several years. I'm adding a powder blue tang and a sliding tang a 125 gallon tank. Since I'm adding multiple Tang's what should u go from here. I have added 6 strips of nori and have the two new Tang's in acclimation boxes. Any suggestions?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Do not over feed, acclimate well and distract yellow eye upon introduction

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got the same question as nereefpat, I would be careful with a PBT in a 5’ tank, to me they need Atleast 7’ of room to swim without being aggressive.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's. 125 gallon tank. It's 72 inches long.
60 inches is about 5’, to me that fish will be a pain in that size tank, however in a 6-7’ tank these fish aren’t aggressive or as aggressive.
Also, what is the third tang you mentioned? A photo of each one will be helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 225 gal tank, so not quite the same, BUT, I originally put in my Tomini tang, that I owned for a few years, then added an Achilles tang a few months after. Then I added 4 more tangs a few months after the Achilles tang. It can be done, but, you have to understand that they are only after areas of grazing for food. Below is a great write up by @4FordFamily that I will always go by. ;)

I did have the same Tomini tang, along with a LT tang and a Gold Rim tang with no issues in my previous 120 gal tank. The Gold Rim tang was added after I removed my Purple tang to make room for the Gold Rim tang.

Last edited:
OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The powder blue tang escaped the acclimation box. How I have no clue. So I found it swimming in the tank when I got home from work. The yellow eye kole tang is doing what I expected. But nothing to bad. The clown fish are also trying to get dominance over the powder blue tang and salufert tang. But it's not as bad as I thought it would be.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The powder blue tang escaped the acclimation box. How I have no clue. So I found it swimming in the tank when I got home from work. The yellow eye kole tang is doing what I expected. But nothing to bad. The clown fish are also trying to get dominance over the powder blue tang and salufert tang. But it's not as bad as I thought it would be.
I would leave it, also how is it a 125g but 6’ long? Is it just a very shallow tank? Depth and width would also be useful - Again, what is this third tang you talk about? I have never heard of the name you have been mentioning. Now I know it’s 72” long it’s doable but I still think it’s small for these fish but that’s me being picky by 12-24” of room. I find the PBT will become an absolute mennace in any tank less than 6’, one of my old LFS’s had a 4-5” PBT in a standard 6’x2’x2’ tank, there was only about 4 fish in total in that tank and when they tried to reintroduce a Chelmon marginalis the PBT went mental. I wouldn’t want to know how a 8-9” PBT would act in that size tank, this aggression was worse than the juvenile sohals you see for sale.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A standard 125 gallon is 6 feet long by 18" wide by 22" tall.

Salufert= sailfin?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A standard 125 gallon is 6 feet long by 18" wide by 22" tall.

Salufert= sailfin?
I kept trying to look it up but it came up with the Blue hippo and a Yellow tang, I don’t think 3 tangs would even try to get along in that size. If it is a sailfin then I can assure that the PBT will be highly unhappy. I mean koles get 4”, PBTs get 8-9”, Both sailfins get 14-16”… I don’t see how a 14” fish would thrive in a 6’x18”x22”. To me that’s just looking for ich, maybe it would thrive if there was only 4 fish in the tank and only 1 or 2 of those was a Tang but I don’t see 2 fish that reach close to a foot and bigger as thriving in a 6’ tank. Add to the fact body shapes in sailfin tangs and PBTs are very similar, that’s asking for aggression unless it’s Atleast 8’ tank (Minimum IMHO).

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think 3 tangs would even try to get along in that size. If it is a sailfin then I can assure that the PBT will be highly unhappy. I mean koles get 4”, PBTs get 8-9”, Both sailfins get 14-16”… I don’t see how a 14” fish would thrive in a 6’x18”x22”. To me that’s just looking for ich,
The right 3 could work. I agree powder blue and sailfin aren't good long term choices. Ich, you just have to QT.

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't take a chance on a PBT if it was free. I have 3 tangs in a RS 625xxl. Blue eye kole, Tomini and a chocolate mimic. All 3 stay small as far as tangs go. No issues once they realized there's plenty of food to go around. Also have 4 lyretail anthias and that's it.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The right 3 could work. I agree powder blue and sailfin aren't good long term choices. Ich, you just have to QT.
I agree on how the right 3 could work but trying to find the right 3 would be hard, I think maybe a convict tang, the smaller bristletooth tangs and maybe a Caribbean blue or Goldrim at a push but I would be cautious of the two Acanthurus tangs. I think the Goldrim because they aren’t as active as the other four in the Powder tang complex.

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was steered away from a Gold Rim by a local shop as I was told they can be maniacs just like blues. I had 2 bristle tooths already and was told they would not make good buddies. So I ended up going with the chocolate mimic who's in transition from juvenile to adult and no problems.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was steered away from a Gold Rim by a local shop as I was told they can be maniacs just like blues. I had 2 bristle tooths already and was told they would not make good buddies. So I ended up going with the chocolate mimic who's in transition from juvenile to adult and no problems.
I got told a bristletooth and Goldrim would go badly too (This was in theory I got a 5-6’ tank and then went the Goldrim route). I find that the Goldrim body shape and bristletooth body shape is different so I don’t think it would always go wrong, but it could go wrong. I don’t know about aggression in goldrims because they get overshadowed by the tangs that are brighter colours so collectors don’t tend to get them since they don’t make as much money as PBTs and Achilles. I often sit in my LFS and watch the fish for Atleast 30 minutes to see how they behave every week and it has always been the “true” Powder tangs that have been swimming nonstop but the Goldrims and Mimics seem to be less pacing/stressed and more chilled out. I also find that the 3-4” sized tangs tend to be calmer because they aren’t established to the wild enough to have the strict herbivorous diet but aren’t too large to be almost impossible to keep.

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got told a bristletooth and Goldrim would go badly too (This was in theory I got a 5-6’ tank and then went the Goldrim route). I find that the Goldrim body shape and bristletooth body shape is different so I don’t think it would always go wrong, but it could go wrong. I don’t know about aggression in goldrims because they get overshadowed by the tangs that are brighter colours so collectors don’t tend to get them since they don’t make as much money as PBTs and Achilles. I often sit in my LFS and watch the fish for Atleast 30 minutes to see how they behave every week and it has always been the “true” Powder tangs that have been swimming nonstop but the Goldrims and Mimics seem to be less pacing/stressed and more chilled out. I also find that the 3-4” sized tangs tend to be calmer because they aren’t established to the wild enough to have the strict herbivorous diet but aren’t too large to be almost impossible to keep.
That was the 1st juvenile gold rim I've ever seen. It was a dull gray with the gold outline on the fins. I know they are not very common. I think mimics are very underrated. They have a very unique look overall with the flowing wide fins. When they flare out they look really impressive. All of mine are the same shape and I was surprised they didn't have any issues when added. I'm happy because they graze my rock work and frags non stop eating algae.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Gold Rim tang and a Tomini tang in a 120 gal 4ft tank. I had no issues between the 2.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 21 34.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 21 34.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 18.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back