Adding Refugium to Sump

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased a used 65g tank and it came with the Eshopps AZU-100 sump. Could I make the first chamber a refugium instead of using the filter sock?

1701801294338.png

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you certainly can! If you go that route, I would not add sand, though. It will gather tons of detritus. You'll want bare bottom. Even chaeto, if you place it there, will become a junk trap and you will have to remove it and rinse it out regularly. if I were you, I'd keep some sort of mechanical filtration in place still.

OP
OP
Ian Baxter

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you certainly can! If you go that route, I would not add sand, though. It will gather tons of detritus. You'll want bare bottom. Even chaeto, if you place it there, will become a junk trap and you will have to remove it and rinse it out regularly. if I were you, I'd keep some sort of mechanical filtration in place still.
How do you think I can do that? I will have the skimmer in the second chamber and the return in the third.
I was thinking chaeto, but is there a better option?

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you think I can do that? I will have the skimmer in the second chamber and the return in the third.
I was thinking chaeto, but is there a better option?
Chaeto is your best option if you're just looking for pure nutrient export. In your situation I'd envision making a smaller sub-chamber where the inlets flow into, where there is some mechanical media, and then flows into the larger portion of the first chamber containing your chaeto.

OP
OP
Ian Baxter

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chaeto is your best option if you're just looking for pure nutrient export. In your situation I'd envision making a smaller sub-chamber where the inlets flow into, where there is some mechanical media, and then flows into the larger portion of the first chamber containing your chaeto.
Oh okay. Currently there is some live rock in there.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back