why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do this test

take a clear glass of water

and a handful of your live sand, unrinsed, out of the bag

start a video of the cup, add the unrinsed sand, post that video for us to see if non rinsed sand looks awesome

imagine that cup being your entire reef tank

posted by pdxmonkey, unrinsed caribsea live sand (live in what way?):

pdxm.jpeg

in the sand rinse thread, we like when people listen to the common rule regarding sand rinsing. it gets us more cleanup jobs. all the entrants would have been better off not following the common rule, there'd be nothing to clean up. the only sand you don't pre rinse to cloudlessness is TBS oceanic live sand, which nobody here is using that I've seen in four years.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would never put un rinsed sand in any tank much less an up and running system. I made that mistake years ago in a 180. Even once it settled and the tank looked great every time my dragon wrasse would enter or exit the sand it was a mess.

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rinse.
Get a funnel. Cut it to the size of 2 foot section of PVC pipe.
Place pipe on bottom.
Slowly add sand to pipe using funnel.
You can now slowly move the pioe off of the bottom and put the sand wherever you want.
That's how I've done it many many times.
Makes hardly any mess.
Make sure flow is off.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agreed you just pre rinse it until it acts like snowglobe grains, position them anywhere. we would use tap water, because there's not enough ro in ten make sessions to pre rinse multiple bags of that stuff, it's nearly opaque.

tap water first, final rinse in RO water, then use it for the complete win. this is all sand, new and used, excluding TBS oceanic live sand which nobody is using on the entire board / or at least anyone posting in here.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Daniel92481

Daniel92481

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like I will be rinsing the new live sand with RO or maybe some old seawater. I’m looking to change my minimal amount of Hawaii black sand to a more traditional color and granule size. Thanks reefers for your input here.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why not use tap water

ro is costly, limited, and doesn't do anything special for you

seawater has to be lugged or pumped. only tap is smart for the pre rinse, because you can run it as long as it takes to be truly clean.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like I will be rinsing the new live sand with RO or maybe some old seawater. I’m looking to change my minimal amount of Hawaii black sand to a more traditional color and granule size. Thanks reefers for your input here.
I always use special grade and rinse with tap water only if it’s old sand… new sand fresh out of a bag I just dump in and throw some floss in the sump baffles over night and it’s good the next day..

Mr. Roboto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not add anything that said "live" on it unless I pulled it out of an existing tank myself.

Buy a new bag of sand, rinse it well, rinse again, and then rinse it again. Get you a funnel and a stick of PVC and then feed the sand to the bottom of the tank through this PVC tube and the funnel. I would not add it all at once. little at a time over a few days.

bsagea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've added sand, aragonite & dolomite. I rinse numerous times until the water is almost clear. I then add salt water to whichever I'm adding and pour it into the tank using a glass measuring cup. I also turn off all the pumps & powerheads so nothing gets blown around. Can't honestly say that I've had any type of cycle as a result.
bsa

Kscope

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please rinse the sand. Add it slowly maybe a couple of cups every other day. If you add too much too quickly you will start a partial cycle and some of the ugly stage. Cyano comes to mind.

mdanchqst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get what people are saying about not wanting to add unrinsed sand to an up and running system, but if you rinse live sand, you take all the good out of it.
And if you add sand from an existing tank to another tank, be ready for a crash. That.is.bad.advice.

Mr. Roboto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get what people are saying about not wanting to add unrinsed sand to an up and running system, but if you rinse live sand, you take all the good out of it.
And if you add sand from an existing tank to another tank, be ready for a crash. That.is.bad.advice.
Nothing in the "live" bags are live. Not unless you get them a couple days after bagging. Live sand is a great way to start a cycle though because it's going to have all the nitrites and ammonia you will need.

Rinsed sand is a much better alternative than anything with "live" on the bag. People replace their sand beds regularly by pulling out the old, putting in rinsed then rinsing out the stuff they pull, rinsing and letting it dry all the time with almost no side effects.

thedon986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I added fully rinsed standard aragonite sand to my very live Tampa bay saltwater sand and all I got was a diatom bloom. Was worried about dinos rushing in to populate the new sand but I think if your sand bed is very established (1-2+ years) you’ll be fine. No one seems to be asking for details about your system before giving advice which I think matters a fair bit here.

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rinse.
Get a funnel. Cut it to the size of 2 foot section of PVC pipe.
Place pipe on bottom.
Slowly add sand to pipe using funnel.
You can now slowly move the pioe off of the bottom and put the sand wherever you want.
That's how I've done it many many times.
Makes hardly any mess.
Make sure flow is off.
Freaking BRILLIANT!!!

OP
OP
Daniel92481

Daniel92481

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added fully rinsed standard aragonite sand to my very live Tampa bay saltwater sand and all I got was a diatom bloom. Was worried about dinos rushing in to populate the new sand but I think if your sand bed is very established (1-2+ years) you’ll be fine. No one seems to be asking for details about your system before giving advice which I think matters a fair bit here.
Thanks for the info. My tank is a little over a year old and is a 4.1 gallon pico.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 136 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back