Adding sand to existing reef aquarium…

thedon986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks for the info. My tank is a little over a year old and is a 4.1 gallon pico.
I would add maybe half of what you plan to add total at a time, rinsed or not and let that settle in for a few weeks then see how it looks and add more. I added my extra sand about a month ago and the diatoms are just starting to fade and I have another half to add soon.

Stealthreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IF you put it in a container and then put the container under the water you're not going to have the silt.

I run "miracle mud" and have since the 90s. It's as silty as it gets and I can add it to a tank and it will be clear the next day.

Rinsing live sand will kill the reason to have live sand. If you're going to rinse don't rinse live sand.
It's crazy to me how much people are terrified of sand these days.

Stealthreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fill a cup with sand. Put the cup under the water.
Let the sand fully saturate. Then pour the sand where you want it.
These posts are making me laugh.
I just put 20 pounds of miracle mud in my sump and it was clear before my wife got home from work.

Watch come videos of the guys who do fresh water planted tanks on youtube. Watch how they do sand and try to do it that way. It was a professional planted tank guy and Leng himself that taught me how to manage sand/mud.

nothing_fancy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once a year or so I like to add a little fresh sand to clean up the sand bed when it starts to look a little lived in. For that I have always just used a 5 gal bucket of water that was pulled out during a water change. I put the sand in there and let it circulate with a strong pump. Usually just forget about it for a week and when its time to do maintenance the folllowing week I have some nice clean sand. Then I just cup it out and bring it to the sand bed carefully. I've done this many times and never had an issue. If I was replacing all the sand of course the approach would be much different and would involve a lot of rinsing.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's missing from this thread: any semblance of work regarding sand in other people's tanks so that differences in outcomes can be noted

When we make all advice off what our tanks did, one tank at home, we omit any details that are involved when other people take actions in their own home

It's a good thing we have sixty pages of pre rinsing caribsea live sand in other people's tanks, about four hundred jobs:

How strong are our results for other people's tanks regarding sandbed science? Any dinos? Any cyano?

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ive added sand twice as i added fish who required more. I simply rinsed under bath tub water pressure and poured it into a 24" funnel (used for automotive) to the bottom which reduced any amount of cloudiness and suspension in the tank and targeted the sand where i wanted it.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
work threads make it handy to see what steps align all reefs for the same outcome. I'm not seeing very many of them here, any, but I did see a lot of first person testimony on what happens with sandbed handling which causes confusion.

any reef tank that wants to deal with sand and get a known perfect outcome can do what we've been doing there for nine years running and they will for sure get that outcome.

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mix in the new sand with the existing or just pour over the existing?

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
depends on the degree of waste in the bottom layers. I would never cap off a pent up sandbed, I'd do a total clean of it all like we did in the thread, add the new to the old both rinsed as we do, then that will give the longest lifespan to the system before eutrophication (problem invasions from storing up too much waste in reef systems) sets in

if the current bed is new, or has been cared for and isn't sinked up, or has busy turning animals like diamond gobies, adding rinsed sand on top won't hurt.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Rinse.
Get a funnel. Cut it to the size of 2 foot section of PVC pipe.
Place pipe on bottom.
Slowly add sand to pipe using funnel.
You can now slowly move the pioe off of the bottom and put the sand wherever you want.
That's how I've done it many many times.
Makes hardly any mess.
Make sure flow is off.
That's how I've done it multiple times.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IF you put it in a container and then put the container under the water you're not going to have the silt.

I run "miracle mud" and have since the 90s. It's as silty as it gets and I can add it to a tank and it will be clear the next day.

Rinsing live sand will kill the reason to have live sand. If you're going to rinse don't rinse live sand.
It's crazy to me how much people are terrified of sand these days.
THE SAND!!!!!!
sand GIF

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
live only
no rinse
put it in a shallow tub and put the whole tub in the water and then slowly pour it out of tub under the water and close to bottom.
Live or dry, absolutely rinse it to avoid a sand storm and use a pvc pipe to get it where you want it. Dump it in the top with a funnel.

And what's this about starting a cycle of you add sand???
That's a new one on me. Why would it??? It will not, no sir!

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.2%
Back