Adding toggle switches to Apex

ekandler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After seeing the Adaptive Reef switch box for Apex, and it being $100+, I thought there has to be a way to DIY the same thing. It got me thinking, would it be as simple as connecting a toggle switch like this to my breakout box? If I toggled the switch, it should show the switch on the breakout box as ON/OFF, so I can command feed modes or other things based on that, right? Am I missing something? I would just need to connect each switch to a port on my breakout box rather than it connecting to my Apex via the I/O accessory port.

radfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• FCD2C93B-49D9-437F-A5C6-D5BD95F647E2.png
    FCD2C93B-49D9-437F-A5C6-D5BD95F647E2.png
    32.2 KB · Views: 59
Upvote 0

MiamiAG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, I wish I knew something about electrical connections to understand what you guys are talking about.

Do you mind expanding a little for the electrically ignorant like me?

Trying to avoid forking over $130+ for the Adaptive Marine one.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ekandler

ekandler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, I wish I knew something about electrical connections to understand what you guys are talking about.

Do you mind expanding a little for the electrically ignorant like me?

Trying to avoid forking over $130+ for the Adaptive Marine one.

Thanks!
Ha sure. The 8-pin thing @radfly is talking about is more complicated, so if you want to make it as simple as possible avoid that.

basically, if you have a breakout box for your apex the way it works is by connecting circuits. You plug the breakout box into your apex and it has two sides. The apex recognizes those two sides aren’t touching and shows them as closed. If you add something like a physical switch or float switch, when depressed (physical switch) or submerged (float switch) it connects the two sides and Apex recognizes this.

you can use this disconnect/connect to your advantage, turn off a skimmer with a float switch or in this case I realized you can buy cheap two wire switches off Amazon and connect them to your breakout box and control whatever you want.

for example, I wanted to create a switch for feed mode (turns off your powerheads), so I connected a switch to my 3rd breakout box ports and put this code into my powerhead outlets:

If Sw3 OPEN Then OFF

this will require a breakout box, but you can get that from Avast for cheap. The 8pin thing avoids a breakout box, you can wire the switches directly into a cable that the Apex uses for other things and connect it to the apex directly.

Upvote 1

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done a diy push button setup a few ways on a few different tanks. I've made my own 6 button setup to a diy mini din cable with some soldering, cursing and patience. I now just buy a 25$ breakout box and wire up my buttons and float switches from the bob as needed.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ekandler

ekandler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done a diy push button setup a few ways on a few different tanks. I've made my own 6 button setup to a diy mini din cable with some soldering, cursing and patience. I now just buy a 25$ breakout box and wire up my buttons and float switches from the bob as needed.
Now that I’ve discovered this amazing feature I’ve been trying to think of all the things I could use a button/switch for.

What are you using yours for? I have a water change switch and a feed mode switch but that’s it so far.

Upvote 0

Fishyfish22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Now that I’ve discovered this amazing feature I’ve been trying to think of all the things I could use a button/switch for.

What are you using yours for? I have a water change switch and a feed mode switch but that’s it so far.
I have an outlet on the apex that's specifically controlled by a switch, so if I ever need to do an emergency water change just plug it in and hit the switch when ready, then just flip the switch off when I'm done. No rush to get my phone out or trying to reach the outlet to unplug it

Upvote 0

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently I'm doing a few things with a bob and a fmm:

FLOTSW & HIGHFL are float switches through the 'bob' that run my ATO. HIGHFL is a backup float.

SKMCUP is a fmm optical sw for my remote skimmer storage. It gets full, it will shut off the skimmer.

E-STOP is a 'bob' switch for to shut off the skimmer, return pump, uv and powerhead(s) as long as the button is pushed in.

FOOD10 is a 'bob' button for my 'feed mode', I have to use defer timing since I run a classic apex.

LEAK is a 'bob' leak detector in my stand.

ROLLFL is a 'bob' float sw that controls my filter roller advance.

MAGSW is a 'bob' magnet switch that turns on a led in my stand when the cabinet doors are opened.

Screenshot_20220918-095523.png

Upvote 0

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I use it for monitoring pressure switches on RO system as well as battery backup feedback and to alert in the event of power failure of multiple feeder circuits.

Upvote 0

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 110 76.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back