Adding trident to AIO

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to add a trident to my 65 gallon Tideline AIO. Tank is quickly becoming acro dominant. My question being, can I add the trident to the stand under the tank? Will this effect how the trident draws the sample? Can it siphon water from the tank into the trident?
Can’t seem to find any conclusive answers as I see it being implemented above the water line as well as below.
Thanks!!

AstroCoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I guess the question is now, how do you prevent a siphon?
There isn’t really much information by Neptune on how to prevent a siphon other than to keep it at waterline level. The only thing I could say is the tubing has a very small radius so there should be some amount of resistance against flow as stated by the Hagen–Poiseuille equation (radius being r^4, having the largest influence on flow). The Trident tubing has a much smaller internal radius than standard airline tubing. This is still risky in my opinion though, I personally wouldn’t mount the Trident below the tank.

Even with all of the above being said, my Trident stays at the same level as my waterline per Neptune’s instructions. I have seen other Trident users mount a shelf behind their tank so the Trident stays at their waterline.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea how the trident would do with a large difference in height from the sample line and the unit, but the tube that comes into the trident goes through a pinch valve and then into a peristaltic pump. Both of those thing would prevent a siphon.
The thing that would concern me would be what happens if the thing fails and a line we’re to come disconnected or break, because then nothing would prevent a siphon.

nothing_fancy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's best practice to have the trident at level with where the sample is being drawn from. I also tried to put it under the cabinet of my AIO and it wasn't working out for me. Mine sits next to the tank, pretty much level with the aquarium stand and I haven't had issues since.

Luis's Nano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have a AIO tank. I've been running my trident in my stand with no issues for 2+years. It'll work just fine.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 27 36.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 9 12.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 32.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 17.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.7%
Back