Adult Lightfoot crab

InvertEnjoyer

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
May 31, 2022
Messages
40
Reaction score
23
Location
Addison
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if any of you guys have experience with adult sally lightfoots as I only see the juvenile crabs in the hobby. I always see the adults live primarily on rock right outside of the coast so I wonder if you need to change their setup as they get larger.

F0BD8A2C-D677-4064-906A-E17C6BF126E7.jpeg
 
Interesting. I have never seen a sally much larger than the palm of your hand. How big are the sallys you are speaking of? The smaller ones have not posed any problem that I am aware of, with exception that my buddy who doesn't like spiders gets creeped out from these crabs as well.


EDIT: so I went and looked around, I think there may be two different "Sally Lightfoot" crabs, but maybe not? The color I have seen was always a dull green/gray but the pics on line look like your photo, much nicer to look at. Also found that they are a potential invasive species with a history of this. So much to know, and not enough brain cells working atm to finish a

Happy GIF
 
Last edited:
I was wondering if any of you guys have experience with adult sally lightfoots as I only see the juvenile crabs in the hobby. I always see the adults live primarily on rock right outside of the coast so I wonder if you need to change their setup as they get larger.
F0BD8A2C-D677-4064-906A-E17C6BF126E7.jpeg
The Sally Lightfoot crab you are referring to is Grapsus grapsus (8 cm carapace), which does not enter the trade. The Sally Lightfoot crab that does enter the trade is a separate species, Percnon gibbesi (3 cm carapace):
1661294042883.jpeg
 
The Sally Lightfoot crab you are referring to is Grapsus grapsus (8 cm carapace), which does not enter the trade. The Sally Lightfoot crab that does enter the trade is a separate species, Percnon gibbesi (3 cm carapace):
1661294042883.jpeg
Huh. I always see both species where I’m at so I just assumed the smaller ones were the juveniles.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 16 28.6%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 18 32.1%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 10.7%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.4%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new