Adult Lightfoot crab

InvertEnjoyer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if any of you guys have experience with adult sally lightfoots as I only see the juvenile crabs in the hobby. I always see the adults live primarily on rock right outside of the coast so I wonder if you need to change their setup as they get larger.

F0BD8A2C-D677-4064-906A-E17C6BF126E7.jpeg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I have never seen a sally much larger than the palm of your hand. How big are the sallys you are speaking of? The smaller ones have not posed any problem that I am aware of, with exception that my buddy who doesn't like spiders gets creeped out from these crabs as well.

EDIT: so I went and looked around, I think there may be two different "Sally Lightfoot" crabs, but maybe not? The color I have seen was always a dull green/gray but the pics on line look like your photo, much nicer to look at. Also found that they are a potential invasive species with a history of this. So much to know, and not enough brain cells working atm to finish a

Happy GIF

Last edited:

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if any of you guys have experience with adult sally lightfoots as I only see the juvenile crabs in the hobby. I always see the adults live primarily on rock right outside of the coast so I wonder if you need to change their setup as they get larger.
F0BD8A2C-D677-4064-906A-E17C6BF126E7.jpeg
The Sally Lightfoot crab you are referring to is Grapsus grapsus (8 cm carapace), which does not enter the trade. The Sally Lightfoot crab that does enter the trade is a separate species, Percnon gibbesi (3 cm carapace):
1661294042883.jpeg

OP
OP
InvertEnjoyer

InvertEnjoyer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Sally Lightfoot crab you are referring to is Grapsus grapsus (8 cm carapace), which does not enter the trade. The Sally Lightfoot crab that does enter the trade is a separate species, Percnon gibbesi (3 cm carapace):
1661294042883.jpeg
Huh. I always see both species where I’m at so I just assumed the smaller ones were the juveniles.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back