Advice for beginner: Best set-up for newbie

jtlmnop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been keeping FW tanks for a few years, and have been researching SW off and on for the last year. I am ready to take the plunge, but can't decide on a set up. Was originally thinking Biocube 32, but I know I'll want something bigger soon after. My question is: Is it insane for a beginner to jump into something like the SCA 50 PNP with sump?? I know all of the advantages of a sump, larger volume, etc, but worried I would be overwhelmed. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kryptonian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The larger system is going to allow more cushion for mistakes. More water volume so less drastic changes in things like pH or alk swings, ammonia spikes, or even temp changes. I don't think you'll be overwhelmed running a 50g especially if you already have some experience.

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been keeping FW tanks for a few years, and have been researching SW off and on for the last year. I am ready to take the plunge, but can't decide on a set up. Was originally thinking Biocube 32, but I know I'll want something bigger soon after. My question is: Is it insane for a beginner to jump into something like the SCA 50 PNP with sump?? I know all of the advantages of a sump, larger volume, etc, but worried I would be overwhelmed. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.
My first real reef tank was a 55gal with a 30gal sump,, but the person who had it before me scratched the front glass pretty bad and with my OCD it drove me nuts,, all I ever saw was the scratches and sad part in general it wasn’t really that bad,, but I saw it.
now I have a 65gal and in process of getting a 120gal setup this weekend. Wife is thrilled

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dark side.jpg

I too went from FW to SW. I still keep FW tanks. I started with a 29 biocube. It did help to get my feet wet so to speak, but within a year I had upgraded to a 125 with sump and within 2 years the biocube was banished to my shop. I was a little nervous initially about sump thing, but it really is simpler than it seems. I say go for it. Welcome to the party!

OP
OP
J

jtlmnop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dark side.jpg

I too went from FW to SW. I still keep FW tanks. I started with a 29 biocube. It did help to get my feet wet so to speak, but within a year I had upgraded to a 125 with sump and within 2 years the biocube was banished to my shop. I was a little nervous initially about sump thing, but it really is simpler than it seems. I say go for it. Welcome to the party!
Thanks! I'll keep my 55g FW running, but I don't want to spend the money on the Biocube if I can get a larger tank with sump for a few hundred more. I'm sure I'm overthinking it...

michael inocencio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you already know you'll get something bigger then save your money and just go for it. 50G is still a manageable tank for beginners.

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started out this year with a 29 gal no sump, Eheim canister system. Now I am upgrading to a 48 (40 breeder) /20 sump system. It is more money but after being on R2R I am convinced it is the way to go.

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I'll keep my 55g FW running, but I don't want to spend the money on the Biocube if I can get a larger tank with sump for a few hundred more. I'm sure I'm overthinking it...
Take your time and think about whole picture if you can see it in your head then you can see it in your tank, it’s a passion thing

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get a larger tank for a few hundred more. I bought a Seapora low iron rimless 48 gal (36x18x15) for $250. Aqueon 20 gal tanks are $20 when Petco has their sale.

lba4590

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first saltwater tank was/is an SCA 120g :)

I had the exact same thought. Had FW tanks for years, still do, wanted to get a Biocube but knew I would want to upgrade. I’m loving the SCA 120 and definitely don’t wish I started with something smaller. My advice is to get the biggest tank you feel comfortable with so you don’t jump into upgrading and waste money on a temporary set up. You can make water changes easy by pumping your water into your DT from any location. SCA makes great tanks too!

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! I had a 26G freshwater and then moved to a 120G saltwater for many of the reasons stated.

My starting point includes a 35G sump, return pump, skimmer, heater, and two lights. After about two months I added an auto top off system, and at three months or so I started to add corals and bought my first powerhead. Around the nine month mark I added a doser to add two part.

My point is that I intentionally took it slow so that I could understand the effects of things as I measured my parameters. I’m also one who tries to keep things simple and would prefer natural ways to manage a tank rather than using a lot of chemicals.

Taking your time so you won’t be overwhelmed is a great approach.

OP
OP
J

jtlmnop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! I had a 26G freshwater and then moved to a 120G saltwater for many of the reasons stated.

My starting point includes a 35G sump, return pump, skimmer, heater, and two lights. After about two months I added an auto top off system, and at three months or so I started to add corals and bought my first powerhead. Around the nine month mark I added a doser to add two part.

My point is that I intentionally took it slow so that I could understand the effects of things as I measured my parameters. I’m also one who tries to keep things simple and would prefer natural ways to manage a tank rather than using a lot of chemicals.

Taking your time so you won’t be overwhelmed is a great approach.
Thanks! Definitely will take it slow. I’ve learned so much in the last year just research, but I’m sure I’ve just scratched the surface!

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Definitely will take it slow. I’ve learned so much in the last year just research, but I’m sure I’ve just scratched the surface!
I think my UV light is best product I got next to protein skimmer,,, and I’m an over board kinda person I like filter media in between baffles leading to return chamber

dtruitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best set up depends what you want to do. Best advice I could give in retrospect is to know what you want to keep, and make choices based on desired stock.

I'd suggest a DIY sump either way. Learn how to use your refractometer the right way. Get a high quality phosphate test kit, and invest in a GFO reactor. These are basic components that are easily overlooked and make a much bigger difference than the lights, powerheads, and skimmers you pick.

WirelessMike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the community! I started a saltwater setup in January and spent months pondering the same question. I researched like crazy and thanks to a few local reefers and this community I ended up skipping the cube and getting a great Craigslist deal on a 65 gallon that came with a sump. I don’t regret going with a larger setup to start and wish I would’ve even gone a touch larger. You won’t regret going a bit bigger as the water volume does have more forgiveness with the SW learning curve. You will also have a bit more flexibility on which livestock you want to keep. The biggest thing I have learned from all of the great folks here is take your time and be patient. You’re gonna battle stuff that tests your patience while your tank matures, but it makes you appreciate the knowledge this community is willing to share. Have fun with it and good luck! Make sure you start a build thread too. Always fun to see new builds.

kruler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with a Biocube 29. I wanted to upgrade almost immediately but held out for a year and a half. The Biocube is a great platform to get your feet wet IMO as long as you ditch the lid and get a decent light. Starting with a 50G is not going to avoid the urge to upgrade quickly. I recommend starting with established live rock the first time around. Instant stability and less likely to have many issues that make new reefers give up in the first year.

jimfish98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I did FW from 10-75g and have a 2000g pond outside. I just got rid of everything in the house and got a Waterbox 130.4 as my starter tank. Initial cost is higher, but not as high as building one set up and deciding later you want bigger. Also I figure if I don’t succeed it would make a great FW tank too.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
An all in one sysytem (AIO) is the best starter tank such as innovative marine nuvo series or a bio cube tank system- Fully contained and easy maintenance.

AMDman13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might as well go large. You know you like fish tanks, so bigger is always better. Larger is more forgiving for parameters. My suggestion is learn how to monitor parameters and to dose when needed. Also, do not go with a single drain. Choose a Herbie or Bean Animal drain.

Back