Advice for introducing new fish in a predator tank

aws2266

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a Humu Trigger and Dragon Wrasse in a 125g right now. I picked up a porcupine puffer yesterday that's about 6-7inches(my trigger and wrasse are about half that). When we first introduced the puffer he followed the trigger all the way to his den, then lost interest. The Trigger came out and swam up to the puffer and nipped at him. After that, the puffer tried steering clear but the trigger nipped at him a couple more times. I turned the lights out(which I should have done to begin with) and Trigger went into his den to sleep and has been there ever since. The wrasse hasn't been out yet, but I don't anticipate any issues from him. He's still young and doesn't cause any problems. The trigger is an...well, I can't say that word on here, but he's an aggressive one. Any tips for me when the lights come on or the trigger wakes up?

0MNSH1ZLLC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a Humu Trigger and Dragon Wrasse in a 125g right now. I picked up a porcupine puffer yesterday that's about 6-7inches(my trigger and wrasse are about half that). When we first introduced the puffer he followed the trigger all the way to his den, then lost interest. The Trigger came out and swam up to the puffer and nipped at him. After that, the puffer tried steering clear but the trigger nipped at him a couple more times. I turned the lights out(which I should have done to begin with) and Trigger went into his den to sleep and has been there ever since. The wrasse hasn't been out yet, but I don't anticipate any issues from him. He's still young and doesn't cause any problems. The trigger is an...well, I can't say that word on here, but he's an aggressive one. Any tips for me when the lights come on or the trigger wakes up?

I have all 3 of these in my 230.

Keep the lights off for as long as you can, worst case isolate the one that is being picked on in a breeder box.

Humus are always mean and they nip fins.

Good luck!

OP
OP
aws2266

aws2266

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you tell any predator fish a new addition is a friend and not food ?
If it fights back it isn't food, maybe? The trigger and puffer seem to have an understanding as no one is nipping anymore. The wrasse came out for a bit but was chased around by the puffer. I know he's supposed to turn into the devil but right now he's cool as a cucumber, the dragon wrasse that is. After being chased around for a few minutes he went into hiding again. Leaving the lights off for the time being.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure that they are fed like crazy and have actual places to get away and hide - no caves and arches or other dumb things that humans like but fish cannot use to feel secure.

The fish should be fed enough to be growing.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acclimation box. Large enough for the animal to move around comfortably without banging on the sides. Clear of course goes without saying. Idea is to slowly introduce the fish to the display. This lets everyone see it while it sees them. You also get to see it eat.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 113 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back