Advice on Feeding a Banded Snake Eel

waverider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Banded Snake EELS are snakes, not Moray Eels.

Moray Eels have much bigger mouths and thus can eat much larger size foods. Snake Eels usually will be hiding during the lights on period.

My Snake Eel only comes out very late at night and likes chopped Krill or any small chopped seafood I can find in the fish section at the store like shrimp, Cod, scallops..etc.

The trick is to wait until after dark when they are out and about, turn off all your pumps and add chopped meaty foods and let it fall to the bottom. Krill seems to be a favorite!

They only eat off the bottom so if any flow is on, the food will be stirred up into the water column.

I chop my frozen krill or shrimp on a chopping block nice and small, dump a tea spoon amount into the tank while pumps are OFF... and let it fall to the bottom.

Walla! He is eating and hunting the bottom. I leave him an hour or so to find easy bottom food. As I am writing I can see him hunting the bottom.

It is a management chore because I have to be up late enough to shut down the pumps, feed, then wait. (as I am now! LOL)

I try and do this twice a week on nights I am up late.

So far this is working very well. -My Snake Eel is eating and healthy.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,you can tong feed also ,after lights out ,dip food in water ,wait for nose to pop out and feed ,may save time on shutting down pumps and excess waste not eaten,they are cool creatures ,had one for years.. :cool:

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 51 85.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back