Advice on Feeding a Banded Snake Eel

waverider

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 25, 2020
Messages
211
Reaction score
240
Location
Mooresville
What state or country do you live in
North Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Banded Snake EELS are snakes, not Moray Eels.

Moray Eels have much bigger mouths and thus can eat much larger size foods. Snake Eels usually will be hiding during the lights on period.

My Snake Eel only comes out very late at night and likes chopped Krill or any small chopped seafood I can find in the fish section at the store like shrimp, Cod, scallops..etc.

The trick is to wait until after dark when they are out and about, turn off all your pumps and add chopped meaty foods and let it fall to the bottom. Krill seems to be a favorite!

They only eat off the bottom so if any flow is on, the food will be stirred up into the water column.

I chop my frozen krill or shrimp on a chopping block nice and small, dump a tea spoon amount into the tank while pumps are OFF... and let it fall to the bottom.

Walla! He is eating and hunting the bottom. I leave him an hour or so to find easy bottom food. As I am writing I can see him hunting the bottom.

It is a management chore because I have to be up late enough to shut down the pumps, feed, then wait. (as I am now! LOL)

I try and do this twice a week on nights I am up late.

So far this is working very well. -My Snake Eel is eating and healthy.
 
hi,you can tong feed also ,after lights out ,dip food in water ,wait for nose to pop out and feed ,may save time on shutting down pumps and excess waste not eaten,they are cool creatures ,had one for years.. :cool:
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 10 27.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 10 27.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 5 13.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 7 19.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 2.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new