Advice on my Blue Urchin

CanadianReeferGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a Blue Urchin and he’s amazing he did amazing job on getting rid of my GHA. The problem is I got him to early my tank is only a few months old and he’s eating my coralline algae before it’s getting a chance to grow. I’ve got some Coralline on my back wall he hasn’t gotten yet. My question is do I take him out for a few weeks? I don’t want get rid of him completely he’s really cool. Will my coralline out pace him eventually? Thanks.

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a sump with algae in it? Can put him there. I have a pincushion that does outpace need and always stripping rocks to white.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will the coralline out pace him eventually? He’s stripping my rock right to the white.
Yes because eventually the coralline will grow on every surface at once. I think the minimum tank size for a urchin is 20g so any bigger then that you should be fine

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a Blue Urchin and he’s amazing he did amazing job on getting rid of my GHA. The problem is I got him to early my tank is only a few months old and he’s eating my coralline algae before it’s getting a chance to grow. I’ve got some Coralline on my back wall he hasn’t gotten yet. My question is do I take him out for a few weeks? I don’t want get rid of him completely he’s really cool. Will my coralline out pace him eventually? Thanks.

I would leave him... coralline eventually grows so fast he won't keep up. Besides, him eating it spreads it.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pink urchin (looks like a pincushion urchin) that ate my live rock "bald" also and still always keeps going back to the rocks.

Mine would never touch nori for awhile either but, eventually, started taking too it and now will go after it when I hang it off the glass (in a clip) near wherever he's cruising around. Also, mine eats algae wafers now too as long as I drop half of one on the sand in his path when he's moving around.

...so, I'd say keep trying on the nori and maybe even try algae wafers but, in the end, mine still out-eats the coralline growth on my rock. Never seems to eat the coralline noticeably off the glass though, even when he "seems" to be munching on it for awhile.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back