Advice on removing snail from return pipe

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Hello reefers

I have a snail in my return pipe inside my flow box. I need to remove it due to blockage of the drain, causing the emergency drain to activate. What is the safest method to go about removing the snail?

I am thinking of removing the bulkhead nut from the bottom of the tank and pull the pipe. Is this the best route to go?

What about the water from the over flow box?

Should I have emergency back ups in case worse case scenario?

thank you
Joe

Reefer Matt

Officially Official Account
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Siphon out the water from the box, and remove return pipe as required. Or get something thin and flexible to try and rod out the snail. I suggest making a way to access this again in the future, as it will probably happen again.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try turning the return pump off first and then see if you can get the snail removed that way. Suction from water going down (even a small amount of water) will make it seem like the snail is stuck.

If this does not work, then leave return off, empty that chamber, remove pipe from below (under the stand) and use something to push the snail up.

Once done, order a "fish guard" for the size pipe you have, install and not worry about a snail getting stuck again.

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try turning the return pump off first and then see if you can get the snail removed that way. Suction from water going down (even a small amount of water) will make it seem like the snail is stuck.

If this does not work, then leave return off, empty that chamber, remove pipe from below (under the stand) and use something to push the snail up.

Once done, order a "fish guard" for the size pipe you have, install and not worry about a snail getting stuck again.

The guards are a life saver... I use what's pictured from Lifeguard Aquatics
PXL_20220812_190316321.jpg

OP
OP
jmichaelh7

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0

Ima need to make a custom stick big enough to push the snail through. I believe it’s a margarita snail , a big one that covers the entire diameter of pipe

ptrusk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not try to push it through. Use a shop vac and suck it out the way it went in.

Obdoc63

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I did this last weekend. I turned off my return pump, took out the stand pipe and let all the water drain from the overflow. I then used a wet/dry vac to suck the snails out of the drain. Put back in the pipe, turned on the pump and all was good.

OP
OP
jmichaelh7

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Alright round 2! … my drain got plugged again.

Would the only way to remove this drain pipe is unscrewing bulk heads from bottom ?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Would the only way to remove this drain pipe is unscrewing bulk heads from bottom ?
That depends entirely on how your drains are plumbed. If it's glued in to the bulkhead flange, then, yes, you'll need to remove the nut under the tank to remove the bulkhead and pipe.
If it's a threaded bulkhead, you should be able to unscrew the pipe. If it's a slip and the pipe was just pushed into the bulkhead, you can pull it out.

And look at post #5 and order one for your primary drain!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're kidding, right? See posts #4, #5, #13... Quite honestly, if you're back here for round 3 in a month's time the lack of a drain cover will probably be the least of your concerns...

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any alternative to these?

I’ve read that these constrict flow immensely. A lot of bad reviews
I don't know where you found bad reviews but the Lifegard brand ones are great. You should have a valve on your main drain already and may need to open it a bit, but if you check your overflow weekly during maintenance and clean the strainer when needed, there shouldn't be an issue. I actually have 2 so I can swap them out when I remove one for cleaning.

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

you-dont-say-frowning.gif

P.S. use slip bulkheads on the tank (water) side, it will save you misery.

Last edited:

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know where you found bad reviews but the Lifegard brand ones are great. You should have a valve on your main drain already and may need to open it a bit, but if you check your overflow weekly during maintenance and clean the strainer when needed, there shouldn't be an issue. I actually have 2 so I can swap them out when I remove one for cleaning.
This. It only takes a second to clean. Most of those reviews are from lazy folks that don't keep an eye on the drain anyway.

ChuckTownReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Has this person thought of how bad his "flow rate" is when a snail is in his drain every day? Like come on what's better having drains working 24/7 with a slightly reduced flow or not working and because your knee deep in the drains to get a snails out.

Last edited:
Back