Advice please

Quarryshark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll try and keep a long story short. 14 days ago I placed 2 small heni’s and and a small watchman goby in my QT. The heni’s were flashing so as suggested I gave them a FW dip to confirm flukes which it did. I did the first round of prazi and all went well. After 5 day, I did a 25-30% water change and started the second round only to find one of the heni’s dead and the other two stressing out. I had a HOB and bubble filter going, but added an air stone and figured it was a low O2 situation by the way they were acting and I was right. I only allowed the second round of prazzi to run for 24 hours (probably my mistake) before running carbon and doing 2-3 25% water changes. Things were going well so three days ago I began to slowly (over a course of 7 days) dose Copper Powder. My current level is current .78 ppm.
When I got home today, I noticed that the remaining Heni was flashing and had popeye in one eye. I gave him another FW dip to check for flukes and the pic is the result. Looks like flukes to me. Now my dilemma. Should I do another round of Prazzi with the copper already in the system and stall the copper ramp up? I don’t want to kill these guys. Or stay the course with the copper and treat with the prazzi.
Suggestions? TIA
6517945B-E548-4893-B256-146A4D7AC123.jpeg

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Puts an awful lot of stress on a fish to run both copper (suppressed immune system) and prazi. Since you have already done the FW dip, it should have removed many of the flukes. The remaining flukes can wait until the copper is done to treat with prazi. But you could do another FW dip during the copper if needed.

OP
OP
Quarryshark

Quarryshark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love this advise. Sounds like a solid plan and that’s what I’ll do. The FW dips are stressful, but only for a short time and don’t appear to harm the fish in any way.
Nothing good happens fast is so true in this hobby. Thank you.

OP
OP
Quarryshark

Quarryshark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A thought. Has there ever been a report of success with doing a FW dip say every 4-5 day while in QT to eradicate flukes without the use of Prazi? I would think that with the TTM it would work, however I don’t have the tanks needed for this method. Has anyone ever reported success with a single QT and multiple dips?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Quarryshark

Quarryshark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DDC3253C-D801-4FAF-8B47-64BFFA385E83.jpeg

Ok, so the CP is getting close to strength at 1.25. It’s been 2 days since the FW dip and the Heni has popeye pretty bad in one eye. I treated last night with epson salt and 24 hours later there is no improvement. I’ve taken all the pvc pieces out and haven’t noticed any flashing, but I’m kind of at an impass with this eye. After the first dip pre-prazi treatment, the swelling went right down. This time not so much. It’s eating fine, but the eye looks horrible. I have erithromycin on standby, but I hate to mix meds. Should I dose epson salt again, wait it out another day, or treat with the antibiotics? I think it’s a bit early for another FW dip.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 31 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 9.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back