Advice regarding my 4 tangs

Saltandfresh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I would love some advice regarding my 4 tangs. Before the tang police come for me, I know I made a newbie mistake…
I have a Red Sea 350 ( 75 gallon display ) running for 18 months. After the tank cycled I purchased 4 tangs, several weeks apart. A blue, yellow, naso, and sailfin. Of course, they have since tripled in size and I’m looking to re-home at least two of them. I absolutely adore them and love their personalities. But I do want the best for them. So I have four questions.
1. Would the yellow tang and naso be okay long term in the tank? I know the naso will get bigger but he’s my favorite fish ever. He reminds me of my dog. Always playing. He even lets me pet him.
2. How can I find a reliable hobbyist local to me ( Los Ángeles ). I don’t care about making money on these guys. I just want them to go to a healthy tank and live out their days in peace.
3. What is the best way to catch them? The last thing I want to do is stress them out. So netting is out of the question. I would appreciate some advice in catching these guys in the least stressful way possible.
4. This isn’t a question. But I want to show off my babies with these pics.
Thanks for taking a look and I look forward to the comments.
Happy reefing!
DE021685-644A-4073-8C58-9DC600E2A45A.jpeg
8E6B255D-B39B-42FE-A787-6743E97E530F.jpeg B40622DB-471A-4D12-B691-6D8671F0E7CF.jpeg DAFC0F19-9FCC-4FBC-BA77-8D4E88CF8FE8.jpeg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha. They've actually got quite a bit of room to swim around in, so I don't think you're in dire straits yet... They look pretty happy and healthy. I think you can use the trade livestock forum to find a happy home.

tang-police.jpg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

muggle0981

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lean towards put a fish in once-not a fan of rehoming

wont do a sailfin or naso in my 180g

prefer to look out for fish

Nice tank

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks to me like you have a new much larger tank in your future!! Christmas is just around the corner ya know ;-) Hahaha...

ELChingonsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will be fine. I had two large tangs in a 65 gallon tank. I love tangs but they make a mess in your tank.lol. I purchased these tangs 4 years ago. They were small but they do grow fast. I did have to give them back to the fish store eventually because I couldn't keep the nitrates and phosphate down and my corals were not happy. Unfortunately I couldn't keep 2 separate tanks running so I had to make a choice. So my advice to you is if you decide to keep all of them.. or even two of them and you plan on keeping high dollar corals you have to wach your nutrient levels very closely. I had to run bio pellets and cheato a huge oversized skimmer and gfo in combination with phosguard to keep my nitrates at 10ppm and phosphate at 1.5. I did two water changes a week 10 gallons every 2 to 3 days. In that 65 gallon tank. It was alot of work. So that's my advice for people who keep reefs with large tangs in small tanks..lol I don't much care about the opinions of tang police. I've been arrested by real police..lol I don't think tang police Cary glocks and handcuffs.

OP
OP
S

Saltandfresh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lean towards put a fish in once-not a fan of rehoming

wont do a sailfin or naso in my 180g

prefer to look out for fish

Nice tank
You will be fine. I had two large tangs in a 65 gallon tank. I love tangs but they make a mess in your tank.lol. I purchased these tangs 4 years ago. They were small but they do grow fast. I did have to give them back to the fish store eventually because I couldn't keep the nitrates and phosphate down and my corals were not happy. Unfortunately I couldn't keep 2 separate tanks running so I had to make a choice. So my advice to you is if you decide to keep all of them.. or even two of them and you plan on keeping high dollar corals you have to wach your nutrient levels very closely. I had to run bio pellets and cheato a huge oversized skimmer and gfo in combination with phosguard to keep my nitrates at 10ppm and phosphate at 1.5. I did two water changes a week 10 gallons every 2 to 3 days. In that 65 gallon tank. It was alot of work. So that's my advice for people who keep reefs with large tangs in small tanks..lol I don't much care about the opinions of tang police. I've been arrested by real police..lol I don't think tang police Cary glocks and handcuffs.
Haha. Thanks for the comment. God forbid the tang police come for us lol.
Surprisingly the parameters of the tank are spot on. If anything I think the “mess” they make help the corals. All the corals are super happy, as are the fish. The tangs swim together constantly. Plus the blue tang is obsessed with eating poop. When he sees a tank mate groundhogging he swims up and basically bullies them to hand over their poop. Strangest thing ever. Oh and he loves to murder my huge turbo snails. He picks them up, swims to the top of the tank, and drops them on rocks. I’ve lost two just this week. = (

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Naso gets really big. Yellow is arguably okay. I would keep the yellow and sell the others.

2. Sell through the marketplace here, or through a local reef club. Lots and lots of reefers in southern California.

3. Fish traps work surprisingly well for tangs. You can bait them with food or trick them with a mirror in the back.

4. Very nice tank. Those tangs look really healthy. You've done well taking care of them. Good luck.

muggle0981

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really not the tang police

could care less how people run their tanks

My personally opinion because i suck at reefing

1)i dont put fish in that i might need to take out in future

2)only choose easy corals that i know i can handle

3)less is more

thats me

dont care what others do

but super excited my post got quoted

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have many tangs and yellow and naso- no problems.
You also have a group out by you known as SoCal reefs. They have many caring members who will buy fish.
Catching fish is best done at night when theyre out of it or with use of fish trap

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice reef.. :)
@Lost in the Sauce any thoughts.?
Beautiful tank and gang!

The tank looks good at the moment. Unfortunately I would tend to agree with OP's thinking that the 75 won't house all of these comfortably in a little while. The Sailfin and Naso will absolutely outgrow that foot print. Given that it's your favorite fish, you'll need to make the decision eventually to either upgrade to a larger tank, or re-home them. I'm in the valley and am happy to put you into contact with some that could help out if that's your choice.

Acrylic fish traps are an extremely effective way of catching fish. Patience is key. When I need to catch a fish I put the trap in a few days before and only feed into the trap. After a day or two every fish will happily come in and out of it to eat. You selectively trigger the closing mechanism when the fish you need is in there.

OP
OP
S

Saltandfresh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank and gang!

The tank looks good at the moment. Unfortunately I would tend to agree with OP's thinking that the 75 won't house all of these comfortably in a little while. The Sailfin and Naso will absolutely outgrow that foot print. Given that it's your favorite fish, you'll need to make the decision eventually to either upgrade to a larger tank, or re-home them. I'm in the valley and am happy to put you into contact with some that could help out if that's your choice.

Acrylic fish traps are an extremely effective way of catching fish. Patience is key. When I need to catch a fish I put the trap in a few days before and only feed into the trap. After a day or two every fish will happily come in and out of it to eat. You selectively trigger the closing mechanism when the fish you need is in there.
Thanks so much! I would love to be put in touch with your contact. Always good to be in touch with local guys who can help out. I’ve been in the reef hobby for about 4 years and I have yet to make any local reefer friends I can lean on for advice or help.

OP
OP
S

Saltandfresh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have many tangs and yellow and naso- no problems.
You also have a group out by you known as SoCal reefs. They have many caring members who will buy fish.
Catching fish is best done at night when theyre out of it or with use of fish trap
Thank you! I’m aware of SoCal reefs. I’ll look into making an account on the site.

OP
OP
S

Saltandfresh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really not the tang police

could care less how people run their tanks

My personally opinion because i suck at reefing

1)i dont put fish in that i might need to take out in future

2)only choose easy corals that i know i can handle

3)less is more

thats me

dont care what others do

but super excited my post got quoted
I agree with everything you said. It really was a newbie mistake. In the back of my head, when I brought these guys home, I thought I could re-home one or two of the tangs if they got to big. I just didn’t expect to fall in love with them. Letting go of a couple of them is going to be hard lol. I’ve had fresh water tanks since I was a kid and I didn’t understand how different salt water fish are. Their personalities are incredible and they seem much more intelligent than any freshwater fish I’ve ever had.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish. I live in a 2 bedroom apartment and there just isn’t enough space for a larger tank. I guess a home upgrade is in the near future!
Anything is possible .
I live in a small 2 bedroom apartment .
the 90 gal that I thought was as big as I could go at the time .
started leaking . I ended up upgrading to a 230 gal ha ha …

anything is possible .
the question is what you’re willing to compromise to make it work

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 31 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back