Advices for A.Sohal's addition

ciliaris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

this is my first post there.

I'm writing to you because i'd like to add in my tank (220cm*80cm*70cm, Full SPS) an A. Sohal: i know that it's really hard to breed a Sohal for his aggressive temperament and i know that probably it would me a lost bet, but because of it's my dream since i was child i would like just to try at least one time.

Problems are not finished: in the tank there is already an old (2 years) A. Achilles (about 14 cm) REALLY aggressive.

I'm asking to you, especially to people that have had a direct experience, which size should have the sohal that i'm going to add with the objective a) not be killed from the achilles b) not going to kill the achilles after.

ty for your support

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many other tangs in the tank?

These two can be tough to mix. Upon addition you’d want the sohal to be larger to survive a very aggressive Achilles but in this scenario, the sohal aggression particularly of a large sohal would likely eclipse it in short order if it survives.

If you have few tangs, this could be a recipe for disaster. A giant acclimation box would be my suggestion, although an angry acanthurus tang can and do permanently hold grudges that are not forgotten. This is a bad situation to be in.

A better option would be to have more tangs, and add more than one tang simultaneously. Adding more acanthurus tangs simultaneously would be even better.

I have a goldrim, sohal, clown, powder blue, large Achilles, small dussumeiri, and a small clown tang going in my 10 foot tank (500 gal). There are four other tangs as well. The hope is of course the distraction.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
C

ciliaris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many other tangs in the tank?

These two can be tough to mix. Upon addition you’d want the sohal to be larger to survive a very aggressive Achilles but in this scenario, the sohal aggression particularly of a large sohal would likely eclipse it in short order if it survives.

If you have few tangs, this could be a recipe for disaster. A giant acclimation box would be my suggestion, although an angry acanthurus tang can and do permanently hold grudges that are not forgotten. This is a bad situation to be in.

A better option would be to have more tangs, and add more than one tang simultaneously. Adding more acanthurus tangs simultaneously would be even better.

I have a goldrim, sohal, clown, powder blue, large Achilles, small dussumeiri, and a small clown tang going in my 10 foot tank (500 gal). There are four other tangs as well. The hope is of course the distraction.

I'm totally agree with you.
Infact i was thinking to built a large box, about (cm) 80*20*20, to put the sohal inside for a few weeks and let the achilles to acclimate to his presence: i was also thinking to add in the same moment a little triostegus that will be, even it's bad to say, the predicted victim of the achilles and that could help the sohal to join the tank without too many problems.
But that strategy can not prevent the possibility that in a short time will be the sohal to kill the achilles: i don't know in USA, but in my country is really hard to breed for a long time an A. Achilles and will be a disaster for me to lost him, non only for the cost of it.
For that way i think that the size of the Sohal will be really important to choose:
1) smaller then the Achilles it's really risky, because if the Achilles do not attack the triostegus and decides to attack the Sohal he will die sure.
2) bigger than the achilles it's also risky, because Sohal generally is more aggressive then achilles and a big sohal could easysily kill the achilles
3) same size or just maybe some cm more then the Schilles should be the best choice, but i'm not sure about this.

I know that when sohal will be really big, more then 25 cm ex., my tank will be not enouph but even a couple of year of breeding will be enouph for my dream.

OP
OP
C

ciliaris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to answer to your first question.
In my 1300L tank i actually have:
- 1 Naso Elegans XXL
- 1 naso Vlamingi M
- 1 Achilles L (named Attila)
- 1 Hepatus M/L
- 1 Flavescens M/L

About the trackrecords of my achilles i can say that a A. Leucosternon that i addes 1 week after him was killed in a few weeks and the Vlamingi is daily attacked from the Achilles: the fist months worst, now just sometimes but not with too many damages.

I've a 15 years experience wit saltwater tanks and thi Acanthurus is sure the most aggressive that i've never had.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to answer to your first question.
In my 1300L tank i actually have:
- 1 Naso Elegans XXL
- 1 naso Vlamingi M
- 1 Achilles L (named Attila)
- 1 Hepatus M/L
- 1 Flavescens M/L

About the trackrecords of my achilles i can say that a A. Leucosternon that i addes 1 week after him was killed in a few weeks and the Vlamingi is daily attacked from the Achilles: the fist months worst, now just sometimes but not with too many damages.

I've a 15 years experience wit saltwater tanks and thi Acanthurus is sure the most aggressive that i've never had.
A tank boss Achilles is definitely not a good situation to be in, particularly if that nasty. I would get the sohal smaller, personally. It will grow fast and maybe the Achilles won’t see it as much of a threat. Not too much smaller. Maybe an inch. It’s a tough decision I agree with your risk assessment.

It may be better to remove the Achilles for a few weeks while the sohal sets in before adding it back. It’s possible that this works. The sohal can grow 1-3 inches per year so I still err on the side of smaller.

OP
OP
C

ciliaris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A tank boss Achilles is definitely not a good situation to be in, particularly if that nasty. I would get the sohal smaller, personally. It will grow fast and maybe the Achilles won’t see it as much of a threat. Not too much smaller. Maybe an inch. It’s a tough decision I agree with your risk assessment.

It may be better to remove the Achilles for a few weeks while the sohal sets in before adding it back. It’s possible that this works. The sohal can grow 1-3 inches per year so I still err on the side of smaller.

I'm not sure about this.
The vlamingi, that is a Naso and not a pure acanthurus, is a M size sure not a threat but he's daily attacked without a particolar reason: u have to know that the vlamingi for about 3 or more months was not able to escape from the end of the right part of the tank in a 15cm2 of space.
With the leuco, that could be a concrete threat for the achilles, the same continuing run along the tank untill the leuco was dying ahd i was forced to save him before hi's death in my tank.

Maybe u are right about the opportunity to catch the achilles and put him maybe in the sump or in the big box but i'm afraid for his health. I'm very lucky with him because despite his bad caracter he never shows helath problem with "little white point" (dont know the english word) and i im' afraid that could be sick if iput him in the sump or in the big box

OP
OP
C

ciliaris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In your opinion considering 2 or 3 new tangs entry (A.Sohal, A.Triostegus, maybe A.Olivaceus), which strategy would be better to prevent or reduce (if is possible) attacks just between A. Achilles vs. A. Sohal:
  • Join new 3 tangs in the same moment
  • Join First the triostegus and let th Achilles attack him and after a couple of days join A.Sohal and A.Olivaceus
ty

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back