OP
UWC

UWC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had success with this for other types like red/brown planaria etc?

We have not tested for ourselves against other planaria but have heard back from a few users that have said they drop like flies.

moreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
AEFW’s do not release toxins like red planaria flatworms do. They are totally different :)

I just got my bottle of Purge and have red planaria that Im trying to kill so whats the best procedure people have used for them? My plan is to siphon as many as possible during water change then add purge. I will turn off my uv and take skimmer lid off but when would I want to start carbon reactor? Mine are super small but starting to get a lot even after multiple siphoning’s. Im worried about the toxin potential.

OP
OP
UWC

UWC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the toxins can be a issue for sure. Try and get as many out as possible. Carbon is not used when treating for AEFW, but you may want to try and leave it in with red planaria.

moreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes, the toxins can be a issue for sure. Try and get as many out as possible. Carbon is not used when treating for AEFW, but you may want to try and leave it in with red planaria.
Ok Thanks for reply. I think I will wait an hour or so after treatment to turn carbon on.

GrouperBait

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big update incoming in a few hours. I have to put the little ones to sleep, then I have some fun news to unload. I’m almost done with the first draft Haha! Stay tuned.

GrouperBait

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I have 3 things to say in this post!
-An update about aefws, which I can describe in more detail and answer any questions if anyone wants to know!
-Also, I want to propose a possible secondary benefit.
-And lastly I have question for UWC that I want to address publicly, and I hope that they give a clear and honest answer.

1. For anyone new reading my purge post for the first time, you’ll need to back track a little bit to read through my history of treatment for details, or just ask if it’s something specific.
Long story short, I dosed 1 dose a week for 8 weeks straight.
I started on Feb 22, and my last dose was Apri 12th. I waited one week and turned on UV and skimmer and it took about 3-4 days for my skimmer to function normally again.
Now. What you’re all here for:
I can confidentially say that as of 3 weeks and 3 days after my last dose, I have not seen a flatworm since the BIG flatworm that I posted about on April 1st.

I am just a normal reefer like the rest of you. I have no affiliation with UWC and if I see a flatworm before I add any more corals, I will definitely let everyone know that the product doesn’t work, and I will be loud and clear and mad. AND unfortunately for UWC, I will also never say the product works 100%, even if I don’t see another flatworm ever again for the rest of my life. This is because I know biology is constantly changing and nothing is ever a guarantee. I want to be overly objective to a fault, and only subjective if it’s negative to turn people away (I’m aware it makes me look like a jerk and it’s hard to make UWC look like a hero, but I am a chemistry major and a dentist, so I am looking at it somewhat scientifically, not socially).
Now that we got that out of the way!!!...

It seems to have worked for me!! I would definitely try it if you have aefws and a stable enough system to turn off UV, skimmer, and no water changes for 2 months. This may be the limiting factor for some reefers, but if your system is THAT new or THAT small, you have other options instead of purge that should be considered before committing to the product. At this point, it legit seems like a miracle product for people like me who are in too deep to restart, and a system that is too big to pull out a few frags for QT. Also keep in mind that I used it differently than advertised, and I also have been dosing kz fws for over 8 months. I hope I don’t ever have to update with bad news, and I am only reporting on what has happened in MY tank since using purgev2. No clue if it will work on anyone else systems, and I’m not claiming that it will. I am just stating what happened to me. (Again, I’m not intentionally trying to sound like a jerk...I just want to be 100% objective!)

2. On to even better news and a possible solution to a problem I have had for 3 years...this is completely anecdotal and by no means does UWC claim what I am about to say.

I have been battling euphyllia white bugs foreveerr. I have tried all kinds of dips including iodine, Bayer, Brightwell dip, 2lf revive, and even interceptor. No bueno.
Well as luck would have it, my euphyllia look absolutely stunning after the purge, and upon very close inspection, I cannot find a single white bug anywhere. I am really hoping this is a problem solver for anyone with white bug issues. If the flatworms come back but the white bugs stay away, then the purge would have been worth it. I am so happy that this potentially killed all dang little bugs!! If you have had this issue, maybe look more in to purge and what all it can potentially eliminate....which leads me to my final comment

3. UWC—I have now bought vibrant, two bottles of purgev2, coral color, and the coral cleanse products from you. This is 5 identical bottles that sit on the shelf in my fish room.
The other day, I grabbed the coral colors and dosed it. I immediately realized my error...I accidentally dosed the coral cleanse. I panicked because I figured I just nuked my tank, but what I immediately noticed was the exact same reaction that happened when I dosed the purgev2. The smell and feel is very dinstinct and identical to the purge. My corals behaved exactly the same way (for example: the gsp closed up, followed by the duncans, then the indo torches suck up about half way). My snails all acted the exact same way and started to flip over on the right side of my tank. Everything was the same. Which begs the question, is this the same product? Is one just more concentrated than the other? If so, the prices should reflect it. If it’s a marketing tool or just a way to sell more, I get it. But it feels like basically the exact same product and maybe different concentrations. If this is the case, then it could be revolutionary. A liquid that comes with instructions that the reefer cuts with rodi to make it strong or weak, and use it as a dip or a whole tank treatment. I’m interested to hear what you have to say, because I’m betting it’s the same thing with a different label.

That’s all for tonight. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask or message!

OP
OP
UWC

UWC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, super happy for you and very interesting to hear about the white bugs :)

Unfortunately, the coral cleanse has a different mixture in it that we would not recommend dosing it into your tank. With that said, dosing it once into your tank by accident is not going to cause any issues.

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finished 5 weeks treatment according to the bottle last week. Then today, I found a coral being bitten badly. A blow with maxijet reveal this beast.
PXL_20210518_053349566.jpg
So yeah, it didn't work for wiping out AEFW in my tank. Also I took the description a bit too literally, and didn't do any water change for the first 4 weeks. I usually do weekly water change. The lack of WC also caused lost of couple frags.

Also during the whole treatment period, I can see some brown flatworm on the glass. It's different types, have pointy head and two pointy tail end. I'm not sure if Purge suppose to have affect on them, just an observation.

OP
OP
UWC

UWC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How bad was your infestation? Did you baste during the treatment?

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have had every other pest, and after about 10 months of being in the clear and the tank running and growing smoothly, aefw decided to show up and I have no idea how. But it doesn't really matter, I have them. Took out a acro that was almost white, dipped it into some ME dip and 5 flatworms came off- whiteish clear. I ordered some purge v2 and flat worm stop to use along side kz coral booster I already use.

What's the most recent stats on success with purge? Any other recent wins reefers have discovered to beat these guys?

Btw corals are colonies - 3- 8 inches fully encrusted so removing to dip is not post without cutting everything off.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finished 5 weeks treatment according to the bottle last week. Then today, I found a coral being bitten badly. A blow with maxijet reveal this beast.
PXL_20210518_053349566.jpg
So yeah, it didn't work for wiping out AEFW in my tank. Also I took the description a bit too literally, and didn't do any water change for the first 4 weeks. I usually do weekly water change. The lack of WC also caused lost of couple frags.

Also during the whole treatment period, I can see some brown flatworm on the glass. It's different types, have pointy head and two pointy tail end. I'm not sure if Purge suppose to have affect on them, just an observation.
Look up acoel worms. They aren't bad (to my knowledge)) thankfully, because nothing kills them but warsses.

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@UWC when you say turn off the UV, to confirm the UV stays off for the entire 49 days? Any other recent changes to the directions? Also can I continue to run GFO?

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I have 3 things to say in this post!
-An update about aefws, which I can describe in more detail and answer any questions if anyone wants to know!
-Also, I want to propose a possible secondary benefit.
-And lastly I have question for UWC that I want to address publicly, and I hope that they give a clear and honest answer.

1. For anyone new reading my purge post for the first time, you’ll need to back track a little bit to read through my history of treatment for details, or just ask if it’s something specific.
Long story short, I dosed 1 dose a week for 8 weeks straight.
I started on Feb 22, and my last dose was Apri 12th. I waited one week and turned on UV and skimmer and it took about 3-4 days for my skimmer to function normally again.
Now. What you’re all here for:
I can confidentially say that as of 3 weeks and 3 days after my last dose, I have not seen a flatworm since the BIG flatworm that I posted about on April 1st.

I am just a normal reefer like the rest of you. I have no affiliation with UWC and if I see a flatworm before I add any more corals, I will definitely let everyone know that the product doesn’t work, and I will be loud and clear and mad. AND unfortunately for UWC, I will also never say the product works 100%, even if I don’t see another flatworm ever again for the rest of my life. This is because I know biology is constantly changing and nothing is ever a guarantee. I want to be overly objective to a fault, and only subjective if it’s negative to turn people away (I’m aware it makes me look like a jerk and it’s hard to make UWC look like a hero, but I am a chemistry major and a dentist, so I am looking at it somewhat scientifically, not socially).
Now that we got that out of the way!!!...

It seems to have worked for me!! I would definitely try it if you have aefws and a stable enough system to turn off UV, skimmer, and no water changes for 2 months. This may be the limiting factor for some reefers, but if your system is THAT new or THAT small, you have other options instead of purge that should be considered before committing to the product. At this point, it legit seems like a miracle product for people like me who are in too deep to restart, and a system that is too big to pull out a few frags for QT. Also keep in mind that I used it differently than advertised, and I also have been dosing kz fws for over 8 months. I hope I don’t ever have to update with bad news, and I am only reporting on what has happened in MY tank since using purgev2. No clue if it will work on anyone else systems, and I’m not claiming that it will. I am just stating what happened to me. (Again, I’m not intentionally trying to sound like a jerk...I just want to be 100% objective!)

2. On to even better news and a possible solution to a problem I have had for 3 years...this is completely anecdotal and by no means does UWC claim what I am about to say.

I have been battling euphyllia white bugs foreveerr. I have tried all kinds of dips including iodine, Bayer, Brightwell dip, 2lf revive, and even interceptor. No bueno.
Well as luck would have it, my euphyllia look absolutely stunning after the purge, and upon very close inspection, I cannot find a single white bug anywhere. I am really hoping this is a problem solver for anyone with white bug issues. If the flatworms come back but the white bugs stay away, then the purge would have been worth it. I am so happy that this potentially killed all dang little bugs!! If you have had this issue, maybe look more in to purge and what all it can potentially eliminate....which leads me to my final comment

3. UWC—I have now bought vibrant, two bottles of purgev2, coral color, and the coral cleanse products from you. This is 5 identical bottles that sit on the shelf in my fish room.
The other day, I grabbed the coral colors and dosed it. I immediately realized my error...I accidentally dosed the coral cleanse. I panicked because I figured I just nuked my tank, but what I immediately noticed was the exact same reaction that happened when I dosed the purgev2. The smell and feel is very dinstinct and identical to the purge. My corals behaved exactly the same way (for example: the gsp closed up, followed by the duncans, then the indo torches suck up about half way). My snails all acted the exact same way and started to flip over on the right side of my tank. Everything was the same. Which begs the question, is this the same product? Is one just more concentrated than the other? If so, the prices should reflect it. If it’s a marketing tool or just a way to sell more, I get it. But it feels like basically the exact same product and maybe different concentrations. If this is the case, then it could be revolutionary. A liquid that comes with instructions that the reefer cuts with rodi to make it strong or weak, and use it as a dip or a whole tank treatment. I’m interested to hear what you have to say, because I’m betting it’s the same thing with a different label.

That’s all for tonight. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask or message!

Hey, how is your tank doing? Still worm free?

GrouperBait

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, how is your tank doing? Still worm free?
Incredibly sorry to be responding to late!!! For some reason, all my notifications were being sent to junk mail.

@UWC

update:
From what I can tell by the growth and colors, the worms are still gone and the acros are all happy!!
Keep in mind fwiw, my dosing was different than the advertised instructions. Does this matter? I don’t know. I am just reminding you that I did it differently. I dosed weekly for 8 weeks at the same time on the same day, and I also dosed KZ FWS daily before, during, and after treatment.
I think that basting daily also needs to be in the instructions and probably plays a major role in getting the worms in the water column.

Lastly, the little white euphyllia bugs are also still gone!

Last edited:

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Incredibly sorry to be responding to late!!! For some reason, all my notifications were being sent to junk mail.

@UWC

update:
From what I can tell by the growth and colors, the worms are still gone and the acros are all happy!!
Keep in mind fwiw, my dosing was different than the advertised instructions. Does this matter? I don’t know. I am just reminding you that I did it differently. I dosed weekly for 8 weeks at the same time on the same day, and I also dosed KZ FWS daily before, during, and after treatment.
I think that basting daily also needs to be in the instructions and probably plays a major role in getting the worms in the water column.

Lastly, the little white euphyllia bugs are also still gone!
Thanks for the update! I have been using KZ FWS for 3-4 weeks now. I must have had these worms for 6+ months and never knew it. Every colony looks fine as far as growth, color and PE. I had a frag of RMF Candyland that suddenly stalled out in encrusting. Then it started to pale and then I noticed white marks on it. At that point I took the frag out and it was 90% dead. I dipped it and saw 4 worms come off. Checked at night with a flash light and found some bite marks on 3 colony's which show no issues. I do have a tamarin wrasse, earmuff, and potters along with a CCB. Maybe they have been keeping these guys in check without me knowing. But since I know I feel like I should take action. I'm waiting on LA to get acro Crabs back in to see if that helps. But after hearing about your success I think I'm going to give purge a shot as well. Between wrasses, crabs, KZ and maybe purge I should have a good shot at elimination of what I think isn't a bad case.

Edit - pulled trigger and ordered purge just now.

Last edited:

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my bottle of purge v2 today and will start dosing tomorrow. I'll document my success in this thread to help with the very small amount of success / unsuccessful stories with the product, hoping this story will be successful :)

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Week 1 - Just did my first dose to the system. UV is off, I don't run carbon. Skimmer cup is removed. After the first dose all 3 of my wrasses went into the sand so they aren't helpful to eat any adults that may come off. The rest of the fish became skid ish. I couldn't tell if I saw any worms come off the corals into the water column. At least nothing looked like what I saw when I dipped a almost dead acro. A few acros slimmed up right away, PE extension went away on all sps, and my dendros and elegance closed up quickly. The house has a essential oil smell for sure, one smell the tank gives off that my wife will actually approve of!

I am using KZ FWS and Coral booster for 4-5 weeks now and will continue that for the foreseeable future.

Back story- one day I came home to see a 4-5 month old frag of RMF Candy Land not looking good. Looking closer I saw bite marks. Since the coral was basically dead I removed it and dipped it. 4 worms came off in the dip. I have seen the same bites on one other acro colony. I have 2 others that have some marks on the under side but not like what I saw on the frag. End of the day I'm assuming I have the worms in the system. I do have wrasses, cleaner shrimp and porcelain anemone crabs that hang out under two of the colonies. I am waiting for acro crabs to come back into stock, and will add those then.

Here is a picture of a colony that has developed these marks over the past 3 days.

Attachments

• PXL_20210707_155602446.jpg
    PXL_20210707_155602446.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 46

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update about some side effects... Since the day of dosing a few Lps corals have not opened up, some are now showing skeleton. My 3 year old orange lobo the size of a large grapefruit has been deflated since dosing day and now has skeleton coming through the flesh - never good. Elegance still has not opened fully, and one scoly out of 4 is deflated with skeleton poking through. Acro PE still not as great as it was prior to dosing. Not sure if and how they are related, just posting observations.

Back