AEFW's Worst Nightmare - Purge V2

gallego2503

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi
i have 6 of older version..... I have been struggling with the aefw for more than 6 months but I have not gotten much improvement, I have only taken baths to the acros and I have set up a small aquarium to move some ... is it advisable to use v1 in the main aquarium?

GrouperBait

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5th dose update:

I have dosed every Monday at 12pm for 5 weeks in a row now. On today’s dose, unfortunately a big 7mmflatworm came off. This was the biggest one, but dang I’m concerned. 3 more doses left for this bottle. I’m crossing my fingers!

Attachments

• 357A66C6-5EB2-4869-8CCE-AD0EF3BC95C6.jpeg
    357A66C6-5EB2-4869-8CCE-AD0EF3BC95C6.jpeg
    137.2 KB · Views: 99
  • BD2A10F6-B950-4397-A874-E7CD666F6A4A.jpeg
    BD2A10F6-B950-4397-A874-E7CD666F6A4A.jpeg
    105.1 KB · Views: 95
  • DFBAB50E-0D67-4BAE-ABD9-786FF97E5433.jpeg
    DFBAB50E-0D67-4BAE-ABD9-786FF97E5433.jpeg
    138.6 KB · Views: 83
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 96
OP
OP
UWC

UWC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you seeing any eggs? How about young worm population?

Last edited:

JPergamo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5th dose update:

I have dosed every Monday at 12pm for 5 weeks in a row now. On today’s dose, unfortunately a big 7mmflatworm came off. This was the biggest one, but dang I’m concerned. 3 more doses left for this bottle. I’m crossing my fingers!
Any update this week?

GrouperBait

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any update this week?
I dosed my 6th dose on Monday of this week. I have dosed every Monday at 12 pm for the last 6 mondays. I have used 1.5 bottles and I have 2 doses left. (About 80$)
Today, I was in there blowing off corals and found an AEFW that is ~11mm long. I will attach a photo. At this point and I not confident whatsoever that this product works. I am going to finish the next 2 treatments, but this massive flatworm has clearly survived and hatched while I have dosed. All I have done is waste time and money. Extremely frustrating. I have used the product EXACTLY as described. I haven’t done a single water change, no UV, no skimmer, and my tank definitely has suffered from that.
At this point, I would say this product is likely a great way to get rid of half the aefw’s on a single dose, and likely a good product for whole sellers who already have flatworms in their system who also don’t dip any corals (like aqua sd which is where I got the aefw’s originally). However UWC advertises it as a way to get rid of all the flatworms. Well there are 2 more doses left to make this happen, and I don’t see it happening and I will definitely be posting about it in this thread.
Also, this product has an EXTREMELY distinctive smell. While I was ordering the purge, I also bought coral dip and a coral colors type product. Purgev2 smells exactly like the dip, and I am inclined to think that maybe the purge is just a diluted form of the dip, but that’s obviously just a guess due to the smell.

Hope this helps. 2 more treatments to go‍♂️

Attachments

• 9AAC685E-F565-41BD-A68C-F42D997FED59.jpeg
    9AAC685E-F565-41BD-A68C-F42D997FED59.jpeg
    114.7 KB · Views: 90
OP
OP
UWC

UWC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely make sure to finish the treatment. Are you seeing any new eggs? smaller worms, Etc? Even with that bigger worm present, it's nervous system should be so shot that it should not be able to lay any eggs, so basically, even with a big worm, its just a matter of time before it dies off. Just looking for a bit more info on your system and worm population..

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed my 6th dose on Monday of this week. I have dosed every Monday at 12 pm for the last 6 mondays. I have used 1.5 bottles and I have 2 doses left. (About 80$)
Today, I was in there blowing off corals and found an AEFW that is ~11mm long. I will attach a photo. At this point and I not confident whatsoever that this product works. I am going to finish the next 2 treatments, but this massive flatworm has clearly survived and hatched while I have dosed. All I have done is waste time and money. Extremely frustrating. I have used the product EXACTLY as described. I haven’t done a single water change, no UV, no skimmer, and my tank definitely has suffered from that.
At this point, I would say this product is likely a great way to get rid of half the aefw’s on a single dose, and likely a good product for whole sellers who already have flatworms in their system who also don’t dip any corals (like aqua sd which is where I got the aefw’s originally). However UWC advertises it as a way to get rid of all the flatworms. Well there are 2 more doses left to make this happen, and I don’t see it happening and I will definitely be posting about it in this thread.
Also, this product has an EXTREMELY distinctive smell. While I was ordering the purge, I also bought coral dip and a coral colors type product. Purgev2 smells exactly like the dip, and I am inclined to think that maybe the purge is just a diluted form of the dip, but that’s obviously just a guess due to the smell.

Hope this helps. 2 more treatments to go‍♂️
I am not going to dispute your skepticism in the slightest. I don't know what he has been through prior to this photo, but in appearance, that is one weak looking worm. At 6 weeks, mine were still coming off like this 11m X 5ml:

IMG-4558 - Copy.jpg

OP
OP
UWC

UWC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would wait a week after the last dose :)

GrouperBait

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed my 7th dose today and I have one dose left next Monday. I have dosed every Monday around 12pm since February 22. On todays dose, I saw the regular reaction to my corals and inverts (a few softies close up for a few hours, and the sensitive LPS close up a little bit). I don’t have any nems or clams in this tank. However I have noticed a few trochus snails always seem to be upside down after treatment but I have no idea why. Maybe a fish being silly? I have no clue. But I have noticed this weird phenomenon the past 3 weeks. I will post a picture if anyone is interested.

Following the dose today, I turkey basted everything, and I did not see any AEFW’s.
that said, I am still a little on the fence about whether or not it will work.

UWC reached out to me after my post last Thursday to let me know that the AEFW looked like it was in terrible shape and perhaps wasn’t able to reproduce. This is good news, and I hope that this truly is the situation. They are optimistic that I will see the results that I am looking for, and this makes me more optimistic too.

Unfortunately I have been out of town for Easter since last Thursday and today was the first day that I have turkey basted since then. And like I said, no flatworms to be seen. The only flatworm I have seen the past 10 days has been the big one last Thursday. I also don’t see any eggs but this information isn’t incredibly useful because I have never really seen any eggs.

I will baste multiple times this week and my last dose is next Monday. Then it’s all up to Poseidon.
I will follow up if I see any flatworms. Otherwise, I’ll post next week for the Monday update. (I’m aware that perhaps nobody’s cares, but I’m just sharing my experience with the product and maybe in the future it will help someone like me who searches the old threads!)

5A2A93CD-31E0-4C5F-B441-78F2913060C5.jpeg 426AC381-600E-4D91-9C3D-1248A2AD2E07.jpeg

Miles Laughton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well done GrouperBait, it is important for any real test of any product be carried out by someone totally impartial.
You obviously haven’t had any other motive to using this product (as many of us do) to want to rid yourself of Flatworm.
Not that I’m calling the people who trialed it liars may I add!
Your views/ findings will carry more clout in some people’s eyes!
I used the first version of Purge to the letter and then more the second time.
It didn’t do anything in my my tank bar affect my nutrients etc.
I hope this product works for the good of the industry and cross my fingers for you ALL!
good luck!

GrouperBait

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small update!
I dosed my last (8th) dose on Monday around noon (3 days ago).
I have blown all the acros off every day this week checking for AEFWs and I am super happy but super cautious to announce that
I have not seen a flatworm in my tank for ~2 weeks now. (15 days ago is the day I found that big flatworm that I posted about with a lot of frustration).
I still have yet to turn on the skimmer, UV, and carbon, and I have also not done a water change for 7.5 weeks. I will turn everything back on this coming Monday and I will update at that time. I plan on continuing to update every few weeks until I feel confident that they are 100% eradicated. I am still dosing flatworm stop daily, and I think I will continue to dose this for the foreseeable future. (It is my opinion that kzfws is beneficial for acros with or without flatworms.)
Wish me luck!

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small update!
I have blown all the acros off every day this week checking for AEFWs and I am super happy but super cautious to announce that
I have not seen a flatworm in my tank for ~2 weeks now. (15 days ago is the day I found that big flatworm that I posted about with a lot of frustration).
I still have yet to turn on the skimmer, UV, and carbon, and I have also not done a water change for 7.5 weeks. I will turn everything back on this coming Monday and I will update at that time. I plan on continuing to update every few weeks until I feel confident that they are 100% eradicated. I am still dosing flatworm stop daily, and I think I will continue to dose this for the foreseeable future. (It is my opinion that kzfws is beneficial for acros with or without flatworms.)
Wish me luck!
That is quite a good update. Just to confirm, besides Purge, KZ FWS and basting, you did nothing else, correct?

OP
OP
UWC

UWC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small update!
Wish me luck!

Great to hear. Please keep us updated :)

OP
OP
UWC

UWC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heard back from another user yesterday who is not on the forums that started the treatment around the same time as you.

DBE86AA2-E1D1-4820-91C9-258D4D6E64EC.jpeg

GrouperBait

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is quite a good update. Just to confirm, besides Purge, KZ FWS and basting, you did nothing else, correct?
I have a melanarus wrasse in my display tank and a 6 line in my frag tank. I put them in after I realized I had the infestation but before I started purgev2. Fwiw, I also put phyto on a doser instead of manual, I’ve been tinkering with trace elements some, and I have changed up my lights a little bit. I imagine none of that is useful but I figured I would include everything I have done.

The biggest issue I can see for now is that a newer or smaller tank may have an issue with leaving the skimmer and UV off for a long period of time, and also a small tank may have an issue with no water changes. Obviously this is a case by case situation.

RUNVS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will share my experience for everyone, I have a 180 gallon display with 150 gallon sump that's never full. Several weeks ago I noticed a few of my acros with little to no PE and all in all not looking the greatest, pulled a couple out and sure enough classic bite marks and patches of eggs on the underside, dipped in bayer and pulled out a few good size FW. I started dosing Purge V2 and followed the directions to a "T" I noticed improvement throughout the dosing of some of my corals but I also noticed on 3 different SPS that I have patchy TN its strange but they started losing tissue throughout the coral but not bleaching and dying and even now several weeks later they still look the same alive and colorful mixed in with patchy whites spots.

Any way, I finished my last dose April 29th and last night I still noticed a few corals not looking good so I went in and found several patches of eggs on the underside of the plugs and the classic bite marks again. So here I go again, I pulled out the corals I could that looked like the might be infested and dipped in bayer most of my corals colonies I cant remove because of how encrusted they are. I also scrubbed any egg patches I could find and started second Dose #1 again last night but I upped the ML. Originally I I dosed 100ML for my tank last night I did 150ML.

Here's to hoping the second round of dosing eradicates these beasts. If this doesn't work all SPS are getting chopped out and put into another tank with several weeks of Bayer dosing and scrubbing, I really don't want to get to that point but I will if I have too.

OP
OP
UWC

UWC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will share my experience for everyone, I have a 180 gallon display with 150 gallon sump that's never full. Several weeks ago I noticed a few of my acros with little to no PE and all in all not looking the greatest, pulled a couple out and sure enough classic bite marks and patches of eggs on the underside, dipped in bayer and pulled out a few good size FW. I started dosing Purge V2 and followed the directions to a "T" I noticed improvement throughout the dosing of some of my corals but I also noticed on 3 different SPS that I have patchy TN its strange but they started losing tissue throughout the coral but not bleaching and dying and even now several weeks later they still look the same alive and colorful mixed in with patchy whites spots.

Any way, I finished my last dose April 29th and last night I still noticed a few corals not looking good so I went in and found several patches of eggs on the underside of the plugs and the classic bite marks again. So here I go again, I pulled out the corals I could that looked like the might be infested and dipped in bayer most of my corals colonies I cant remove because of how encrusted they are. I also scrubbed any egg patches I could find and started second Dose #1 again last night but I upped the ML. Originally I I dosed 100ML for my tank last night I did 150ML.

Here's to hoping the second round of dosing eradicates these beasts. If this doesn't work all SPS are getting chopped out and put into another tank with several weeks of Bayer dosing and scrubbing, I really don't want to get to that point but I will if I have too.

I'm sure you've read through this whole thread, but think we might need to make a point about how important the basting is. Its very important to get the worms out of their "happy" place. This does two things, #1 lets you keep track of the population of worms ( p.s They always go back to the same corals they favor ) and #2 We have seen in testing that the worms can actually somewhat protect themselves by covering themselves with coral slime. The #2 is more accidental then actual strategy, but it can get some worms though doses. It is best to blow off the corals right after dosing and maybe one or two more times throughout the week.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back