OP
Lyss

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been trying to find it. BRS says that it is discontinued and a couple other online stores. Is it still available?
I get the feeling it is discontinued, or at least not sold in the US any longer right now. If you Google you should be able to find some online store that still has a few in stock -- that's how I found mine. The bag should last a long time, and I feel fine with not being able to get it again once the bag is used up -- I think it will have served it's purpose without needing to continue supplementing it forever.

Forty-Two

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get the feeling it is discontinued, or at least not sold in the US any longer right now. If you Google you should be able to find some online store that still has a few in stock -- that's how I found mine. The bag should last a long time, and I feel fine with not being able to get it again once the bag is used up -- I think it will have served it's purpose without needing to continue supplementing it forever.
they still seem to have it in the European stores (at least for now). I hope they have not discontinued it.

acabgd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they still seem to have it in the European stores (at least for now). I hope they have not discontinued it.
Not that I know, I just bought some more in Europe, no issues with availability.

OP
OP
Lyss

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just meant it might have been discontinued in the US market. Maybe poor sales?

Or there could just be import issues right now and it’s a temporary thing.

Forty-Two

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the product personally- so if they disco it - I’m not sure what I’ll use to add additional flora and fauna.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's a good way to add trace minerals naturally and possibly help mature a new tank faster but who knows, it could just be my imagination and AF is laughing their ***** off at me for spending so much money on a bag of mud

Suesea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is discontinued we should be able to find out why. My guess is, how they obtain the product is being banned or bad for the eco-system .

jx.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to like this product but the mud completely gunks up my skimmer. It’s hard to wipe off too and ends up taking more effort than it’s worth to dose. I picked it up from Amazon off a random 3rd party seller.

Suesea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to like this product but the mud completely gunks up my skimmer. It’s hard to wipe off too and ends up taking more effort than it’s worth to dose. I picked it up from Amazon off a random 3rd party seller.
That's good to know. So I guess I missed that train because I couldn't find it

Forty-Two

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's good to know. So I guess I missed that train because I couldn't find it

@Linjx how did you add it? because this isnt happening to me. In order to add it properly - you need to mix it with water first - stir it up really well and add it slowly. In the bottom I usually find some particulate (sand etc) - which I will dump in once all of the mud has been added.

I did notice on the one occasion that I added too much (purposefully) - I got particulate in the bottom of my skimmer in very small amounts (its like brown/black dusting in the bottom of the skimmer) but it certainly didnt clog it up.

OP
OP
Lyss

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you read the first page of this thread I asked about some issues I was having, and it was recommended to me to dose it in the sump, below the recommended dose. I wrote about my experience after having lowered the amount and dosed it in the return chamber and how it turned out great. I’ve had no issues since and really like the product.

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reached out to an AF rep a few months ago. I was told it's one of their best sellers and it's absolutely not discontinued. An online retailer told me it's been tough to maintain stock, especially after they did drop the smaller size. It only comes in the 1000ml bag now afaik.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reached out to an AF rep a few months ago. I was told it's one of their best sellers and it's absolutely not discontinued. An online retailer told me it's been tough to maintain stock, especially after they did drop the smaller size. It only comes in the 1000ml bag now afaik.
Yeah that's what I got...1000 grams

jx.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you read the first page of this thread I asked about some issues I was having, and it was recommended to me to dose it in the sump, below the recommended dose. I wrote about my experience after having lowered the amount and dosed it in the return chamber and how it turned out great. I’ve had no issues since and really like the product.
Yes I did read your first page but the issue I experienced is not the same as yours. I’m not sure if you run a skimmer or not but with each dose, the mud builds up and forms a thick layer on the inside cone of the skimmer. Eventually it becomes so thick the skimmer ceases to work unless you clean out all the mud. And this happens following their directions of diluting the mud with tank water before dosing. I have no issues with mud in my sand - it all ends up in my skimmer. Anyways, the product may work for you but definitely did not for me.

OP
OP
Lyss

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I did read your first page but the issue I experienced is not the same as yours. I’m not sure if you run a skimmer or not but with each dose, the mud builds up and forms a thick layer on the inside cone of the skimmer. Eventually it becomes so thick the skimmer ceases to work unless you clean out all the mud. And this happens following their directions of diluting the mud with tank water before dosing. I have no issues with mud in my sand - it all ends up in my skimmer. Anyways, the product may work for you but definitely did not for me.
Well, it did cake on everything in my sump and in the display, and muck up the filtration, fish flashing and bothered by particles, everything. I ended up using much less than the recommended dose -- like much less. And dosing it into the return chamber rather than into the DT made a big difference.

I literally wrote this on the first page: "...my filter sock and skimmer were pulling so much sludge."

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back