Affect of light on bubble tips

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you guys think the difference in light affects the bubbles on bubble tips? these two pictures are from my tank the first one was taken in june under 250W metal halides the second one is taken under led lights yesterday specifically the ocean revive t247bs i just upgraded too or downgraded however you see it lol the appearance looks much fuller and more bubbly under the led lights

IMG_20200623_112228.jpg
IMG_20200921_122835.jpg

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one really knows why they bubble and don’t bubble.

NinjaTiLL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My brother recently gifted me a BTA and he uses a MH/T5 combo light. When I first moved the BTA to my tank under Kessil A360WE LEDs, it was bubbling the tips for a few days but has since stopped. I think the lighting change was quite a shock or perhaps my tank is too young. It went through some bouts of moving around the tank and even detached and free-floated one night. I think it calmed down now. I started to feed it some shrimp slivers once or twice a week and it responded to that very favorably. So now it found a relatively sheltered spot that has full sun exposure for a few hours in the afternoon (tank is under a small window). When the sun hits it, I thought it would bubble up more but it only bubbles just a few tentacles. It looks happy in that sun though; it puffs up and expands like it is trying to absorb as much light as it can get.

BlennyTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those things are just weird, they would bubble and not bubble whenever they felt like it in my tank. Never could find a pattern. Even 2 from the same stock next to each other would be different.

I don’t think research knows why they do it.

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you guys think the difference in light affects the bubbles on bubble tips? these two pictures are from my tank the first one was taken in june under 250W metal halides the second one is taken under led lights yesterday specifically the ocean revive t247bs i just upgraded too or downgraded however you see it lol the appearance looks much fuller and more bubbly under the led lights

IMG_20200623_112228.jpg
IMG_20200921_122835.jpg
I think you are on to something.... I noticed in the am when my lights are lower intensity, I noticed more bubbles...as the lights peak..(More intense) they don't bubble as much

Lights ramping up (Lower intensity)
1600709950899.png

During Peak
1600710018321.png

snowhite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a Ritteri up high in my Anemone 90g tank along with about 10 bubbletips, and 8 rockflowers lower in the tank at varying levels of their choosing. I've been feeding him about 500par of light and he doesn't move away from it.

However, I've noticed that all my bubbletips in the tank are slowly getting darker and more muted.
I received 4 more orange'ish morph bubbletips from someone and over the 3 weeks they've been in this tank they've also gotten darker and more muted.
So I've noticably cutback on the light in the tank to see the effect color wise on the bubbletips, but also watching the Ritteri. I might have to make a choice between the two, but I definitely have notice color effect of light on bubbletips, which is the opposite of color effect on SPS. Lower light on SPS gives brownout and higher gives brighter colors.

vorphex1010

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are on to something.... I noticed in the am when my lights are lower intensity, I noticed more bubbles...as the lights peak..(More intense) they don't bubble as much

Lights ramping up (Lower intensity)
1600709950899.png

During Peak
1600710018321.png
Based on observation, I would like to hypothesize that Bubble tip anemones bubble up more during low light to increase surface area for zooxanthellae and zoochlorellae to photosynthesize I will further study this with my own experiment (Do not try this ; at this moment it is only a hypothesis)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back