After 5 months and 22 days..... the tank is here (but not as ordered).

zukihara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I take it that you are still twisting in the wind on yours?

I'm trying to be patient. I did message him back, following the advice of @DaneGer21 ... told him that I don't want it rushed, I want it right. Not that I want to wait 5 more months but I will really be defeated if another tank sits in my garage with seams that look like this one.
I believe he said he started your tank today, so 5 months would be him lying (Again?).

Mine got wet today regardless of the issues, which were irritating, but not like yours. I was offered a replacement/refund plus cash on stand, but I told him I couldn't wait any longer. I'll make due. I posted a new pic on build thread if you wanna see how us little tankers live :)

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I take it that you are still twisting in the wind on yours?

I'm trying to be patient. I did message him back, following the advice of @DaneGer21 ... told him that I don't want it rushed, I want it right. Not that I want to wait 5 more months but I will really be defeated if another tank sits in my garage with seams that look like this one.

How come you used this builder? Did you get them recommended?

Everyone makes mistakes but this is more than a mistake, anyone can have an off day but to work on a tank for 5 months, and to totally disregard all of the customers measurements and to add to that to do a shoddy job also, add in the poor communication, I’m sorry to say but I feel all you can expect from the replacement tank from this builder is an “acceptable job”, I can’t see it being any more than that, hope I’m wrong but I’m totally amazed this guy is in business.

OP
OP
CMMorgan

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How come you used this builder? Did you get them recommended?

Everyone makes mistakes but this is more than a mistake, anyone can have an off day but to work on a tank for 5 months, and to totally disregard all of the customers measurements and to add to that to do a shoddy job also, add in the poor communication, I’m sorry to say but I feel all you can expect from the replacement tank from this builder is an “acceptable job”, Imcant see it being any more than that, hope I’m wrong but I’m totally amazed this guy is in business.
I could not find anything negative about the builder at the time. He had built another very similar tank for @HighChiefKC. He also had a sump built. His build thread showed it exceptionally well packed and no issues. HCKC was kind enough to answer a lot of questions for me also.

When I was considering the purchase at the beginning of Covid, the builders communication was great. His pricing was good and he was very accommodating. Sadly, the expectation has not met the reality. I do have to give credit though... the crate was built very, very well. The only thing that struck me as odd was that the tank was sitting directly on the OSB plywood. I was expecting it on some sort of pad or foam. Otherwise, well protected, good quality screws.

I can see from some of the seams that he is capable of doing good work. I made a trip to a LFS in Sarasota on Sunday. They have a whole bunch of custom tanks that had been removed from high end homes over the years. Most are monsters that they will never sell. I took a good look at those to give myself a realistic expectation of what it should look like. Then I came home and looked a bit harder at this one. I could not find one tank at the LFS that had that shadowing, bubbling or crazing that I demonstrated in the pictures above. By sending him those pictures, he will know that I am going to be holding them accountable for sending a better product. If he doesn't, we'll be back to square one and I'll be contesting the purchase with my bank. Let's hope it does not come to that.

OP
OP
CMMorgan

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1615416335735.png

1615416368644.png

So above is my response to his last message that he was starting the rebuild. This was sent with the pictures in a previous thread showing the poor workmanship.
Two days later.... I get this response:
1615416474759.png

Whoa... that was so inciteful that it took two days to write it. ;Facepalm

kev.2013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Props to you for your patience. I would have filed an issue with my credit card, and get the charge reverted while looking for a new supplier. Hopefully it all works out well for you!

OP
OP
CMMorgan

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Props to you for your patience. I would have filed an issue with my credit card, and get the charge reverted while looking for a new supplier. Hopefully it all works out well for you!
I really do want to give them a chance to remedy their mistake. I just hope that he appreciates that I am not being a jerk and repays the consideration by really taking pride in the tank that arrives next.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really do want to give them a chance to remedy their mistake. I just hope that he appreciates that I am not being a jerk and repays the consideration by really taking pride in the tank that arrives next.
You are stronger than I, I applaud you for being so nice and patient. I feel like I’m too jaded and I woulda done a chargeback lol

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may want to inquire with your credit card to see if there are any time limits for disputing the charges....just in case....

His responses don't instill a lot of confidence IMO. Absolutely no explanation as to why you recieved a tank with bizarre acrylic thicknesses is puzzling

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may want to inquire with your credit card to see if there are any time limits for disputing the charges....just in case....

His responses don't instill a lot of confidence IMO. Absolutely no explanation as to why you recieved a tank with bizarre acrylic thicknesses is puzzling

to be fair there was an explanation given, apparently it was another customers tank delivered by mistake to the OP ;) This customer really wanted a tank with weird dimensions but seems very happy with the OP’s tank now, so much so they have not contacted the builder to ask where their tank is or replied to the builders attempts to contact them!

OP
OP
CMMorgan

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to be fair there was an explanation given, apparently it was another customers tank delivered by mistake to the OP ;) This customer really wanted a tank with weird dimensions but seems very happy with the OP’s tank now, so much so they have not contacted the builder to ask where their tank is or replied to the builders attempts to contact them!
...to be fair... the explanation given was that it could be one of two other peoples tanks with weird dimensions, neither of which would confirm or deny that they had or had not received the correct tank. See... my OG tank must have been so awesome that somebody wanted to keep it and used my $184 credit as hush money to keep the other guy quiet.
;)

OutLawX77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frist get in touch with the builder. Let Them know it's not what you ordered. And you would like them to replace this with the correct one and dimensions, color, thickness.... As long as you have the original order cecite your good. RECORD the conversation with the vender. Let them know before speaking with them that this conversation is being recorded. AND RECORD IT!!!
If they say no, just record it anyway, Just cant use it in a court of law. BUT you can use it with the credit company to show them you tried to resolve the problem to no avail. I hope you used an American Express Card. Good Luck to ya.
or rebuild th
e stand to match the tank

Do a stictic water test to insure the tank is not leaking

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fingers crossed. I have read other People have had great luck with this builder. The pictures on other threads look great so.... I’m Looking forward to you getting this build wet!

HighChiefKC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@CMMorgan wow I just now had time to read this whole thread. That super sucks. I really haven’t had any issues with my tank. I do have one bulkhead hole that has a tiny leak no matter what I’ve done. I’ve tried multiple different bulkheads and sealants and whatever. I finally just made that drain hole the emergency one instead of the one with max flow. No big deal

I saved every bit of wood left from the crate and have used it to build other fish related stuff out of!! My 200 gallons of mixing tanks are sitting on crate scraps of a stand!
I will agree that the tank was sitting on wood when delivered. There was even some screws
touching the bottom of the tank but no damage.

I will say this after almost a year of having the tank. I’ll never have another acrylic tank. The scratches are driving me crazy. I was cleaning yesterday and took the magnet across and it put some huge gashes on the inside. I dont even know how. I had just replaced the material on the inside of the magnet. I almost cried.

Hope you get this all sorted out soon!

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@CMMorgan

I will say this after almost a year of having the tank. I’ll never have another acrylic tank. The scratches are driving me crazy. I was cleaning yesterday and took the magnet across and it put some huge gashes on the inside. I dont even know how. I had just replaced the material on the inside of the magnet. I almost cried.
You need to order an acrylic magnet sleeve from Champion Lighting... keeps sand and most other things from scratching your tank... been using them for many years without problems.

OP
OP
CMMorgan

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to order an acrylic magnet sleeve from Champion Lighting... keeps sand and most other things from scratching your tank... been using them for many years without problems.
Thanks for the reminder @albano ... I still need to order a magnet that can handle 3/4" acrylic. I will absolutely get the sleeves. @HighChiefKC ... so sorry to hear about the scratch. I will make a point to be extra diligent. I've read that there are scratch removal kits.... but I imagine that would be a huge PITA with yours built into the wall.

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read that there are scratch removal kits.... but I imagine that would be a huge PITA with yours built into the wall.
If you can reach it with your cleaner magnet, you can reach it for sanding the scratch.
I have ~30yr old acrylic tanks that still look fine!

OP
OP
CMMorgan

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can reach it with your cleaner magnet, you can reach it for sanding the scratch.
I have ~30yr old acrylic tanks that still look fine!
Excellent point.
I design kitchens for a living. The big trend nowadays is quartz or granite counters. Both have visible seams. Both can chip. Both can scratch - albeit it isn't "soft"... it happens. Neither are warranted to place hot pots upon. It is easy to stain a granite counter. After doing this for 27 years... I like Corian. Solid surface tops are made of acrylic. They have no visible seams. If you scratch it, you can sand it with wet sand paper. If you stain it - gel bleach does wonders.
Acrylic isn't perfect - nothing is. All I can do is the maintenance. If I'm lucky-- my tank will be as old as yours and still looking good.
What do you use for a magnet?

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent point.
I design kitchens for a living. The big trend nowadays is quartz or granite counters. Both have visible seams. Both can chip. Both can scratch - albeit it isn't "soft"... it happens. Neither are warranted to place hot pots upon. It is easy to stain a granite counter. After doing this for 27 years... I like Corian. Solid surface tops are made of acrylic. They have no visible seams. If you scratch it, you can sand it with wet sand paper. If you stain it - gel bleach does wonders.
Acrylic isn't perfect - nothing is. All I can do is the maintenance. If I'm lucky-- my tank will be as old as yours and still looking good.
What do you use for a magnet?
The biggest thing I've done to help with scratches is to replace all my fine sand with caribsea special grade. The fine stuff gets in the water column and actually sticks to the acrylic and you won't notice until the mag starts scratching!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 19.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 39 50.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.4%
Back