After 6 years, still having problems. Desperately Need Help!

Frostblitz20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I vaguely remember a BRS video saying that too much CUC can cause the CUC to die from starvation further leading you into having more PO4 and nitrate problems, causing you to think you need more CUC, and the cycle goes on. Don't hold me to it, but that's at least what I remember.

Tank is (after the home move) a red sea 625 xl - so 135 gallons. Used to be a 90 for the other 5 1/2 years. Fish are:

• Mag foxface
  • Chromis
  • Two clownfish
  • Scopas tang
with your current spot trust me i think a decent size CUC can live off whats in those photos.

What CUC do you have and what species?

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I vaguely remember a BRS video saying that too much CUC can cause the CUC to die from starvation further leading you into having more PO4 and nitrate problems, causing you to think you need more CUC, and the cycle goes on. Don't hold me to it, but that's at least what I remember.

Tank is (after the home move) a red sea 625 xl - so 135 gallons. Used to be a 90 for the other 5 1/2 years. Fish are:

• Mag foxface
  • Chromis
  • Two clownfish
  • Scopas tang
Nice fish! What is your CUC in this 135? I have a 90, always have and its always been massive,and varied, battled low nitrates, back and forth, got rid of some equipment ( thats another discussion) , but the corals nor fish, inverts never died. Give us your CUC list.

Reef - Tripp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question is why I also spent many years trying to keep SPS, fish and soft without problem until I discovered two things, first man made rock does not provide the biome or diversity of bacteria and second at a low ph like that I was 7.5 average, it released or dissolved some ingredient of that stone, for me even now it looks easy it was hard for me to discover, I solved it by changing to real stone, it does not matter if live or dry, but real stone, and monitoring the pH by increasing by reducing the co2 , ventilating, connecting the skimmer to an overhead line outside the house and with a co2 scrubber

OP
OP
Jmunk

Jmunk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
with your current spot trust me i think a decent size CUC can live off whats in those photos.

What CUC do you have and what species?
Nice fish! What is your CUC in this 135? I have a 90, always have and its always been massive,and varied, battled low nitrates, back and forth, got rid of some equipment ( thats another discussion) , but the corals nor fish, inverts never died. Give us your CUC list.

So here's the most recent order from reefcleaners, this was August of 2020. Thing is, I don't see a LOT of these guys in the tank anymore. Could have lost some in the tank transfer a few months ago. I know I have around 2 nassarius snails roamin around the sand.

159cabcebe872117389787c56d704eb4.png

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything you're describing fits the searchable description of old tank syndrome. We collect examples of wiping the floor with old tank syndrome

Every example here is your before pics and every example is the after pics you want.

Key tuneup for your particulars: drain off and catch most of your water, no need for all new in a tank that size. Input about 20% new water into the new setup

See how we handle sand, that's why it shines on all after pics

See how the rocks are detail scraped clean, surgically, outside the tank without having to dose the water and wait for months? When you disassemble and reassemble the tank without all the waste, you no longer have to withhold feed out of concern over fueling the invasion. In fact the opposite applies-- we are triple feeding into the clean spaces and corals get a boost

Doing the opposite of the last few years buildup would be ideal we show. It's a lot of work but not for nano reefers. Don't think all those jobs are nanos. A good fifty are huge ones.

Last edited:

Frostblitz20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my suggestion for CUC to look into.

Crabs - Dwarf zebra/orange hermits - these can eat cyano mine did when i had a small outbreak got rid of it within just a few days. Other suggestions for crabs is the blue or red hermits.

Snails- get Trochus snails as they are the best algae eaters for snails i ever seen. Fighting Conch - i like to belieive that every tank should have at least 1 of these guys great for sand shifting and they will eat all of the detritus in your sand on both top and under. for your tank i would get like 2 and see how they work out. if they run out of food in the sand they will clime the side walls and eat it off the glass.

Shrimp- cant go wrong with a pair of Cleaner shrimp. dont get Fire shrimp they are just for looks.

Urchin- Get a blue or red Tuxedo urchin pretty good eaters will also add character to your tank as you can put 3d printed hats on them to wear around. - Side note my Blue urchin is carrying around a small colony of Clove Polpys as a headpeice as it travels. its been wearing them around the tank for 2 months now and the colony still is alive and even grew out some lol.

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here's the most recent order from reefcleaners, this was August of 2020. Thing is, I don't see a LOT of these guys in the tank anymore. Could have lost some in the tank transfer a few months ago. I know I have around 2 nassarius snails roamin around the sand.

159cabcebe872117389787c56d704eb4.png
Ah....its all snails....they work but you seriously need to vary IMO....stressing IMO... here is my 90, Astrea, Bumblebee, Trochus for snails. Coral Banded Shrimp, Tiger Tail Sea Cucumber, Black Brittle Star, Strawbwrry Conch, numerous blue and red leg hermits, pincushion urchin, short spine black urchin, ..... you don't need all of these, and some will argue with me on low nitrate numbers but my phos has ALWAYS been negligible. My fish bioload is similar to yours. I will also caveat I don't run a skimmer, fuge, or sump. Take it as you will....

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my suggestion for CUC to look into.

Crabs - Dwarf zebra/orange hermits - these can eat cyano mine did when i had a small outbreak got rid of it within just a few days. Other suggestions for crabs is the blue or red hermits.

Snails- get Trochus snails as they are the best algae eaters for snails i ever seen. Fighting Conch - i like to belieive that every tank should have at least 1 of these guys great for sand shifting and they will eat all of the detritus in your sand on both top and under. for your tank i would get like 2 and see how they work out. if they run out of food in the sand they will clime the side walls and eat it off the glass.

Shrimp- cant go wrong with a pair of Cleaner shrimp. dont get Fire shrimp they are just for looks.

Urchin- Get a blue or red Tuxedo urchin pretty good eaters will also add character to your tank as you can put 3d printed hats on them to wear around. - Side note my Blue urchin is carrying around a small colony of Clove Polpys as a headpeice as it travels. its been wearing them around the tank for 2 months now and the colony still is alive and even grew out some lol.
^^^Frost gets it....

Frostblitz20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is just my 15g alone for CUC.

6 zebra hermit crabs.
1 fighter conch.
3 Nassarius snails
5 Trochus snails
2 sexy shrimp *these are mainly for looks*
1 cleaner shrimp

Have very little deaths at all. my main deaths come from my Pistol shrimp getting the crabs for entering his den.

OP
OP
Jmunk

Jmunk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
his sandbed doesnt seem to get the shifting/cleaning it needs.

if i had to stress at least 2 of those CUC's i would stress the crabs and the Fighter conch the most. assuming he has zero crabs.
Where do you get your CUC from? LFS? I've heard only great things about reefcleaners, but selecting their 125 package just suggests a ton of ceriths, nassarius, and nerites.

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
his sandbed doesnt seem to get the shifting/cleaning it needs.

if i had to stress at least 2 of those CUC's i would stress the crabs and the Fighter conch the most. assuming he has zero crabs.
Yep, agreed, something ( maybe several in a 135) to stir it up. Any Conch ( Strawberry has worked for me huge), and the crabs. Slow and steady. Dump 5 or 6 small hermits in with any Conch, and wait a month.

Frostblitz20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, agreed, something ( maybe several in a 135) to stir it up. Any Conch ( Strawberry has worked for me huge), and the crabs. Slow and steady. Dump 5 or 6 small hermits in with any Conch, and wait a month.
have yet to try a strawberry yet might be getting one when i build my New tank when i move as i keep on hearing those getting brought up.

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do you get your CUC from? LFS? I've heard only great things about reefcleaners, but selecting their 125 package just suggests a ton of ceriths, nassarius, and nerites.
Do you have an LFS? If so, they've gotta have a Conch or two, every so often, brittle star, and hermits. If not I suggest finding a trusted online retailer and steer clear of their 'packages ' ....

Frostblitz20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have an LFS? If so, they've gotta have a Conch or two, every so often, brittle star, and hermits. If not I suggest finding a trusted online retailer and steer clear of their 'packages ' ....
^ yeah dont do packages its how you over stock most of the time just buy what you need. crabs/snails do come in packs of 5 though which isnt bad. the conchs are not pricey i know my Conches was only 12$ each from Liveaquira

OP
OP
Jmunk

Jmunk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in Jersey, but funny enough, closest good one is about 40 minutes away. I can definitely take the trip up there to grab some hermits, snails, and a FC. If you shop online for them, what site do you use?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back