after 8 years, I found I knew nothing

MalteseOne

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About130 days ago i bought a 200 gallon used acrylic tank to replace the 100 gallon reef tank that I had for the last 8 years.

it turns out that as I tried to get the tank set up with utilizing the used equipment and so on, i found i knew nothing and solved mysteries.

I have no friends in Palmdale that own reef tanks, and i assumed that i was doing ok.

these forums have helped me so much, that i finally decided to stop being a lurker and join in the conversations.

things I learned from the forums:
fish don't disappear, you are doing something wrong
get a phosphate meter
learned what a bioreactor is
learned that i did my sand wrong in the start
learned that i killed all my other coral
fish have recommended minimum tank size
GFO is a thing
learn to feed the fish better
and so on

(the tank's phosphates are still going down, so soon, i will have a clear tank)
20201115_133844.jpg

Last edited:

ImGoingCoastal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DITTO! I got into the hobby 10 years ago in Louisville Ky. I had one friend who was also along for the ride. I was in my twenties and felt like I had a grip on things. I kept changing tanks because I thought "surely it wasn't me". Fast forward 10 years and I'm back in the hobby after 4 years over seas. I bought a new starfire rimless tank because I have the means now, and in researching the new setup.... I found out how big of an idiot I was! It's amazing that 2 of my tanks actually looked decent.

I had no idea what phosphates were. My interpretation of Flow was wayyyyyyyy too low. Literally never vacuumed my sand and my sump.... Please don't look. Many many Many other things exist that I neglected or just wasn't privy too.

It's eye opening, but I'm excited to see what I can learn going forward. I just have to constantly remind myself that thinking I know what's going on and actually knowing what's going on are two different things.

OP
OP
MalteseOne

MalteseOne

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep, I figured if the few things tested reasonable in my crappy hard to read color match water test kits, then i must be ok. obviously i found out the hard way that phosphate test is really a big deal.
it has been exactly 30 days since i did my first phosphate test and found over 1ppm. almost to 0.25ppm now. still trending down.
corals are starting to show polyps! i never knew they did that.

vacuum sump? sigh.. another thing i dont do..

OP
OP
MalteseOne

MalteseOne

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. Palmdale? In Ca? I am down in the Santa Clarita area and there are quite a few reefers in the area.

Don't feel too bad on the mistakes. We all been there (even those who don't admit it) but glad you are here now.
yep.. Palmdale California. any good stores in your area?

kichimark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep.. Palmdale California. any good stores in your area?
Awesome.

Not that many stores here in the SCV area but in the SFV we have unique corals (Van Nuys), Vivid Aquariums (Canoga Park) and probably the best hole in the wall store, Deep Blue Aquarium (North Hollywood). I frequently visit the latter and recommend there for some nice frags. Hong is the owner and his sister works there too. Very awesome folks.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 79 44.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 81 46.0%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.1%
Back