agent462's 220 rimless shallow peninsula reef

Well I think the main reason that I went with T5 is so i could control my spectrum in what I feel are better and more interesting ways. That was for both color and growth. Power savings would have been debatable (definitely some saved) depending on how many X Watt MH fixtures I would have needed to hang. I also felt like I didn't have to worry about modifying the HVAC for the room as my current AC to the room could keep it cool enough. That theory is holding up so far although it hasn't hit the 90's yet. I also have a shallow tank so it's not like depth penetration was a concern.

I have a lot of light and bulb options to work with. I also use my PAR meter for proper height and placement of items.

Eventually I'll have all LED over the tank. I want a nice sleek looking fixture though and nothing is really economical at this point in fixture form and DIY wouldn't be "pretty."

In the end, what am I missing, some shimmer? With the right bulb combo I actually get a tiny bit of shimmer from my surface agitation and PowerModules. I still feel I have more flexibility though.
 
Thanks Sara,

Since I always had smaller tanks before this I've never really "gotten into" fish. We'll see how it goes with this tank. I've migrated a few fish from the smaller last standing tank and added a few. I'll be taking it a step at a time as I look into more fish.

Right now I have two clowns (transplant), six line wrasse (transplant), Two spotted cardinals (transplant), 6 fiji chromis (new, started with 10, 1 suicide jumper and three deaths), kole tang (new), sailfin tang (later this week from other local reefer).

From there I'll look at sand cleaners first and then move on to other fish. Always open to suggestions as I'm a "coral" guy.
 
Nice list so far! My rimless plan included a mesh top to help stop the jumpers. My theory is if the fish is shaped like a torpedo, that's exactly what it is going to do right out of the tank!!!

Maybe we need a coral list ;)
 
There will be soon as I'm re-plumbing some stuff to finally add the UV filter. I started to lay it out yesterday but ran out of plumbing parts and made a run to Lowes before they closed. It was a bit late by the time I got back home and ate dinner to continue.
 
I finally got my UV sterilizer in!

The aftermath
IMG_4936.JPG


IMG_4937.JPG


IMG_4939.JPG


IMG_4941.JPG


My mistake. I had a leaky corner so I had to cut it out. That left me with no more unions and no couplers. Extra ball valve to the rescue.
IMG_4942.JPG
 
ha, well they do make bigger...so... :)

Emperor Aquatics UV. Built like a tank. I highly recommend them and you can get them from BRS.
 
Whats the reason for using a uv on a reef tank???? i know there good on fish only but i heard they kill alot of good stuff for reef tanks...."plankton etc"
whats your motive behind it????
 
Whats the reason for using a uv on a reef tank???? i know there good on fish only but i heard they kill alot of good stuff for reef tanks...."plankton etc"
whats your motive behind it????

Two main uses are fish disease and algae. My assumption without googling is that it will also *help* kill spores from aiptasia, ba, etc.
 
I love UV's, they kill anything that goes through them. If you ever have any kind of outbreak...IE ich, algae, bacteria etc... It will help keep it under control. The downside is the bulbs don't last very long and you do kill beneficial things like pods etc.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new