Aggressive coralline algae or some type sps?

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
c4f9ad7671fd5b83a4a6bc42eb058e05.jpg

It just coralline it comes in a variety of colors some only found in the ocean.
It'll plate over itself and is a huge help in preventing hair algae and other nuisance algaes.
Did you read this who!e thread? Its not JUST anything lol

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At first thought it was in balance or issue with pest etc. With anything in this hobby u do some change and have to wait to see if it takes effect. So yeah it has taken time to try and figure out what was causing this issue. Then time to see whu this stuff growing so fast to out compete corals.

I have thought about not taking down but starving it out. I am sure have to remove most other inhabinets. Not sure if just removing food for it would do in removing spores. Right now sure looks sick compared to what it was during peak of it growning.

I could always cut only chunks of living tissue from some of my coral like chalice etc that won't have any dead material to spread living CL. But like with chalice could skin or chalice itself have any chance of bring it into qt any spores or cl or annome? I want to save for my old mated set clowns? Also what about things like lps that normally need part dead to start again.
Below is a lot of conjecture inferred by reading up on coralline algae. Hopefully someone will eventually chime in that has had an experience like yours :).

A freshwater dip will kill coralline(not sure if i would recommend with already stressed corals, but if the other option is starting over)

Reduced flow from power heads but increased skimming and perhaps an overrated hob filter for the first few weeks(aquaclear). Rhodophyta reproduction is quiet complex and occurs over several generations and its sperm requires current to reach an egg. Also the crustose forming species all grow in intertidal zones of intense wave action. Perhaps if presented with an environment foreign to its native habitat would inhibit growth.

Increased water changes, or even using a drip automatic water change system. Simple Peristaltic pump to new water, overflow hooked to container(sized to speed) to take out old?

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wouldn't gut the whole tank. I'd remove what I could and watch. Survival of the fittest. Very pretty in it's own way .

Sycoticrealm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you read this who!e thread? Its not JUST anything lol
I don't always have time to read wall after wall post some of us have families and would rather spend time with them then a bunch of strangers on forums.

I scanned over a few and from what i seen it growing over half dead coral which is normal and you're obviously supplying more to the coralline than your corals.
So there an imbalance in chemicals going on.

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't always have time to read wall after wall post some of us have families and would rather spend time with them then a bunch of strangers on forums.

I scanned over a few and from what i seen it growing over half dead coral which is normal and you're obviously supplying more to the coralline than your corals.
So there an imbalance in chemicals going on.
Then don't comment if you cant fully grasp the situation.

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
be nice to each other. its the holidays:D
My initial comment was in jest, but homie came a stompin.

I just thought "it's JUST coralline" was a hilariously downplayed response to what is, in my opinion, one of the craziest, baffling examples of an invasive organism in our reef tanks. Never seen anything dominate a tank like that, especially one established for so long.

We're all good.

Nathan Belz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am assuming you never solved this issue? I have the same stuff in a newish tank and my frag tank. It actually started growing on the coral tissue first and is spreading out from there. I have hundreds of frags and can't just start over. if you have any suggestions of what to or not to do i would be so appreciative! I am not ready for this fight, i would rather have dynos any day compared to this!

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting. In some of the pics the thickness makes it look like something else, but in others it definitely looks like coraline. Targeting hydrogen peroxide helps initially kill coraline, but does not prevent it from growing back. If it was me I would look for a chemical cure rather than tearing down.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it slippery to the touch? Could it perhaps be Lobophora?

Nathan Belz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it slippery to the touch? Could it perhaps be Lobophora?
no, not really. It takes a lot to scrape it off with a knife. It is some type of calcium build up, but not slippery like a coral IMO. I am going to try and put it under my microscope here in a bit, but I don't have a great way to reference that to anything so it probably won't help me.

javisaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to bump such an old thread, but I just found it. This is very fascinating to me. Was it ever resolved? Any identification of the type of coralline it was? What about the water parameters?

AmaleeC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to bump such an old thread, but I just found it. This is very fascinating to me. Was it ever resolved? Any identification of the type of coralline it was? What about the water parameters?
I’m interested too, thanks for the bump! Sadly, the user was last seen June 7, 2019 so don’t get your hopes up too high

DooDeeReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to bump this thread and know if anything came of it.. I could possibly be dealing with the same issue in a newer tank. It’s not spread all over the tank yet but would definitely like to stop it before my corals suffer!!!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back