Aggressive Fish....

If you have an aggressive fish - what would you do:

• Get rid of it....

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • Try to modify the behavior...

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • Something else - suggest in comments (please)

Votes: 3 13.0%

• Total voters

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I bought a 4 or so inch harlequin tusk - who is friendly - healthy and beautiful. He doesnt do any of the 'bad things' that they are supposed to do - he doesnt kill shrimp, snails, crabs, etc. However - he and his beautiful blue teeth when he expects to get fed - literally attack he will jump out of the water to try to grab food from my hand - often hitting my finger...... Advice??
IMG_2982.jpg

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This fish - literally eats pieces of food that are quarter sized. lol. its actually pretty amazing. It was more of a funny poll - but - when you see a fish jump out 3 inches out of the tank to get food - its 'aggressive'. I am going to use some tongs:)

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought a 4 or so inch harlequin tusk - who is friendly - healthy and beautiful. He doesnt do any of the 'bad things' that they are supposed to do - he doesnt kill shrimp, snails, crabs, etc. However - he and his beautiful blue teeth when he expects to get fed - literally attack he will jump out of the water to try to grab food from my hand - often hitting my finger...... Advice??
IMG_2982.jpg
s-l1000.jpg

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Come on Man afraid of a lil fish with blue, razor sharp fangs ? Ok,Ok heck no I wouldn't him it take a chunk out of my finger either ! LOL Really can't hide the food, the tusk already see's you coming. I'd add food asap & take care it doesn't jump out in it's excitement . Very gorgeous fish by the way . I wonder if it would eat an urchin.

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Come on Man afraid of a lil fish with blue, razor sharp fangs ? Ok,Ok heck no I wouldn't him it take a chunk out of my finger either ! LOL Really can't hide the food, the tusk already see's you coming. I'd add food asap & take care it doesn't jump out in it's excitement . Very gorgeous fish by the way . I wonder if it would eat an urchin.

Well - I only have 4 fingers on my left hand - so....

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too Funny Gentlemen ! On a serious note, Maybe throw a token amount of food at one end of the tank & while the razor fanged fiend is distracted, add the rest at the other ?

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the jumping and biting is part of their behavior. I worked at a public aquarium after college, and everytime I would be doing maintence on the harlequin tusk tank I would constantly be getting bit, and pretty big bites, very painful. I had much more of an issue with these fish than any of the piranha or sharks in the entire aquarium. So beautiful but super crazy and mean. Only fish that is crazier is an arowana ime.

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a cover so that his excitement doesn't result in you playing hot potuskfish (I promise its only slightly more fun than morays and ladders and if you disagree you haven't been bit by enough morays...). Get some smaller diameter pvc pipe, make a hole in the cover to put the length of tube through, secure it in place and voila! The food can go in and the fish can't come out!

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I target feed my Tusk. I have a small chopping block that I cut up the fish in. I took the whole tray to the tank and open the tank top. Then I throw one piece at a time to my Tusk. As soon as he finish one he would come back and I would feed him another one. You can see from my picture, he has this beer belly that is a lot bigger when he have his fill and does not come back to me. He really grow fast and looks beautiful with this feeding regiment daily. When I am on vacation, I always afraid of comeback and see that the tank miss a small fish or two, or my cleaner shrimp pair. So far this does not happen YET.

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I believe the jumping and biting is part of their behavior. I worked at a public aquarium after college, and everytime I would be doing maintence on the harlequin tusk tank I would constantly be getting bit, and pretty big bites, very painful. I had much more of an issue with these fish than any of the piranha or sharks in the entire aquarium. So beautiful but super crazy and mean. Only fish that is crazier is an arowana ime.
He is actually very friendly - part of it is the 'fear' of the bite rather than the bite itself.

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clown in my pic bites me every time my hand goes in the tank, which has been frequently recently as I've gotten a lot of new corals. Interestingly enough, it looks like it turned out to be the male even though it was the only clown for a year. The tiny one I got after it very quickly outgrew it, but they get along quite well. If I need to do a lot of work, I catch Whitey in a tupperware and cover it outside the tank to avoid the constant biting.

As for your fanged beast, I definitely wouldn't encourage the jumping for food. I highly doubt you could modify it's behavior, but definitely don't encourage it. Add the food quickly and broadcast it, or use forceps and get them into the water with food for it to take.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 18 21.7%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 30 36.1%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 14 16.9%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 20 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%

Back