Aggressive Royal Gramma

Chris444

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Royal Gramma that is in my tank for over 2 weeks now. Today I have added a Regal Tang and gramma is very aggressive towards it. It opens it's mouth really wide and tries to scare it off, it also have nipped it few times. I dont think its territorial based as the RG just swims with Chromis and the gramma swims close to it to scare it off and tries to nip it. I have always heard Royal Grammas are peacufull fish. Should I worry about it?

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no I wouldn't. They will sort it. My gramma has done the same thing.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they will and like @Cell pointed out the tang will put the gramma in its place. May take a couple of days. I just put my maroon in on the 11th. Everybody was picking on it. By Thursday it was in charge of the tank

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
That's a gramma and generally its territorial. They eventually stop once they are assured of no privacy invasion. Mine is well behaved but has lots of hiding

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My gramma and my present Black Cap basslet (closely related) always defended their hidey hole but never were aggressive beyond that small area. Like the guys said above. This will get sorted out in short order and shouldn't be a problem.

OP
OP
Chris444

Chris444

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a gramma and generally its territorial. They eventually stop once they are assured of no privacy invasion. Mine is well behaved but has lots of hiding
There is plenty of hiding spaces in my tank so I guess that shouldn't be a problem. It got me worrying as it didnt look like territorial as the Tang was nowwhere near RG usuall hiding spot.
But from what I read its quite normal and should be sorted. I'll just keep an eye on it ;) thanks everyone for help!

suta4242

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry Chris to go off topic :oops:

My gramma and my present Black Cap basslet (closely related) always defended their hidey hole but never were aggressive beyond that small area.

Curious how long you’ve kept these two together and whether they’re adults? No aggressive behaviour between them?

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious how long you’ve kept these two together and whether they’re adults? No aggressive behaviour between them?

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I have not tried to keep a Royal Gramma and Black Cap in the same tank. Even though I see them in the same general area when diving I've never seen them tolerate each other in close proximity. I rehomed my gramma when I moved a few years ago and replaced it with the black cap when I rebuilt.

WMR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Royal grammas are most bluff, they open their mouths & try to be threatening, nothing to worry about with the tang.

FishyDP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen grammas do this. They can be territorial ime, but I have never seen them do any serious damage to other fish, especially a tang. As others have stated, their bark is worse than their bite.

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's actually that behavior that makes RG so desirable (well after the stunning colors)
As stated above its just a bluff and mine never hurt any other fish. I still have to get lucky with a pick of it with open mouth.

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine always does this for a day or two to any new fish, then seems to get over it and get along fine.

Sasquatchv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Royal grammas are most bluff, they open their mouths & try to be threatening, nothing to worry about with the tang.
Tell that to my blue yellowtail damsel, little guy lost all scales on his head and one lip is hanging off. Probably won't make it even in safety cage...

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Tell that to my blue yellowtail damsel, little guy lost all scales on his head and one lip is hanging off. Probably won't make it even in safety cage...
Mine is a model citizen but you can also as in your case acquire one that is the son of satan himself

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry Chris to go off topic :oops:

have a gramma and blackcap (both from KP aquatics) in a 180 for over a year

Blackcap tends to be more open water and gramma is more secluded - but no overt aggression and both feed side by side

I have a gramma in each of 3 tanks and they are confident in their place in the tank and not a behavioral concern

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 67 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back