Agressive Kole Yellow Eye Tang

Brian S

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your time!

I have an agressive Kole Tang. He's slowly knocked off his tank mates - royal grama, yellow watchman gobie and a Melanurus Wrasse. I have two clowns left, they do a good job keeping to themselves - basically hiding 24/7. The Tang has had the run of the tank for maybe 9 months.

Once a jerk always a jerk - can he be rehabilitated?

I've seen posts about moving rock - i can't. I've seen posts about a mirror.

I'm looking for recommendations.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your time!

I have an agressive Kole Tang. He's slowly knocked off his tank mates - royal grama, yellow watchman gobie and a Melanurus Wrasse. I have two clowns left, they do a good job keeping to themselves - basically hiding 24/7. The Tang has had the run of the tank for maybe 9 months.

Once a jerk always a jerk - can he be rehabilitated?

I've seen posts about moving rock - i can't. I've seen posts about a mirror.

I'm looking for recommendations.

Are you looking to stage an intervention? Think troublemakers need to want rehabilitation for it to stick. Sounds like you might have an overly aggressive one... sorry for your losses

What size is your tank? Can you rearrange your aquascape? Do you have a sump or QT he can 'vacation' within to breakup his territorial nature? (may have to be repeated)

These two posts may help:

If it helps, my different type of tangs are nicknamed Death Dealers. Mirrors and acclimation boxes are to ease the meet and greet. My sailfin gets so worked up over mirror that I'd never leave one long term - he truly is out to K.I.L.L. his reflection

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also curious as to what size tank you have...

My Kole Tang is hard on new arrivals, but then seems to get used to them over the course of a few days. It also fiercely defends a small cave overhang and about 12" out from the opening in any direction. The other fish know to avoid that area in my tank.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME, tangs all have a mind of their own. Depends on tank mates, size of tang, size of tank, time of introduction to tank, etc. My tangs each have their own fish they bully. While one tang goes after a blenny, the next will a fox face. Not easy, but ideally, is to remove the tang for awhile to a QT and try to “reset” it by adding it back in.

Back