Kole tang aggression

elisa h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve had a kole tang since December 1st. I quickly became attached and he didn’t cause any problems with the other fish. But a couple hours ago I added a flame angel to the display and he wasn’t happy at all. A couple seconds after the angel went in my kole started nipping at her and backing into her like he was using his scalpel. I immediately turned the lights off in the tank and it got a little better. After turning the lights off in the room the kole tang went in his cave and hasn’t gone out of his way to bother the flame since. The flame has been swimming around but when she goes near the kole’s cave he chases her away then goes back in his cave. The room the tank is in has a glass sliding door so when the sun comes up I’m worried there’s gonna be more drama. I feel bad for getting the flame angel, I didn’t realize kole tangs could be so aggressive to fish other than tangs. Should I be really worried or do you guys think he’ll calm down?

Here’s the little a hole in question
4a61a4b2c3ad70fffa2dd85f3753ebcd.jpg

By the way, I can’t see any physical damage on the flame angel. I looked at her a few times with my phones flashlight, trying not to wake up my tang.

I had plans tonight but now I’m scared to leave. I may though cause it sucks just sitting here worrying lol

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
elisa h

elisa h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What tankmates? What size tank?

Here’s an article I wrote on tang aggression that is pretty relevant here. Angels compete for food with tangs, and lone tangs (the only tang in a tank) can be immensely aggressive.

https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/tang-aggression-understanding-and-combating.76/

90 gallon tank with the kole tang, two clowns, a bangaii cardinal, a Midas blenny, and now the flame angel. The flame angel is my last fish. I’ve read your article, stumbled across it when I was looking up tang aggression after seeing the kole’s reaction to the flame angel. Do you think it’s a good sign that he left her alone after turning the lights out? It was way before his bedtime and I figure if he really wanted to bully her the lights off wouldn’t stop him. The thing is, the flame barely even seems scared of him. She’ll swim right by his cave and it makes me so nervous. Sometimes he’ll give a warning chase when she swims by but he doesn’t leave his cave. When tangs back into fish like they’re trying to stab them, is it a guarantee that they did stab? I was freaking out when it was happening but the flame angel doesn’t seem to have any damage and she’s swimming fine. Sorry for all the questions. I’m feeling so guilty for adding the flame now, it didn’t even cross my mind at the time that my kole would harass her. He’s been so peaceful with everybody else

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
90 gallon tank with the kole tang, two clowns, a bangaii cardinal, a Midas blenny, and now the flame angel. The flame angel is my last fish. I’ve read your article, stumbled across it when I was looking up tang aggression after seeing the kole’s reaction to the flame angel. Do you think it’s a good sign that he left her alone after turning the lights out? It was way before his bedtime and I figure if he really wanted to bully her the lights off wouldn’t stop him. The thing is, the flame barely even seems scared of him. She’ll swim right by his cave and it makes me so nervous. Sometimes he’ll give a warning chase when she swims by but he doesn’t leave his cave. When tangs back into fish like they’re trying to stab them, is it a guarantee that they did stab? I was freaking out when it was happening but the flame angel doesn’t seem to have any damage and she’s swimming fine. Sorry for all the questions. I’m feeling so guilty for adding the flame now, it didn’t even cross my mind at the time that my kole would harass her. He’s been so peaceful with everybody else
Most of that behevaior you describe is just a bluff, it rarely ends in a wound. The Kole may well forget and not be too concerned with the angel after a few days. Some Kole seem excessively aggressive but most aren’t too bad. Unlike some in the acanthurus genus, Kole and other bristlooth aren’t typically “grudge holders” and so long as food is plentiful harmony can be had.

I wouldn’t worry too much unless you see damage or excessive badgering (fast chasing, biting excessively and often, and frequently, etc)

OP
OP
elisa h

elisa h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of that behevaior you describe is just a bluff, it rarely ends in a wound. The Kole may well forget and not be too concerned with the angel after a few days. Some Kole seem excessively aggressive but most aren’t too bad. Unlike some in the acanthurus genus, Kole and other bristlooth aren’t typically “grudge holders” and so long as food is plentiful harmony can be had.

I wouldn’t worry too much unless you see damage or excessive badgering (fast chasing, biting excessively and often, and frequently, etc)

thank you for the insight. i'm gonna try and not worry about it tonight. we'll see how they act in the morning. I'm planning on feeding very excessively tomorrow and in the future to hopefully curb his aggression.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you for the insight. i'm gonna try and not worry about it tonight. we'll see how they act in the morning. I'm planning on feeding very excessively tomorrow and in the future to hopefully curb his aggression.
Make sure only to feed what they consume. Nori is a good way to keep the tang busy :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back