Aheinz's Planned build

Aheinz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planning on upgrading amazing members have suggested I start a build thread for it and here I'll post the list of equipment, planned tank dweller's.

Very much will appreciate feed back for inhabitants, and equipment, if someone has a suggestion for equipment to change or info gladly will accept the info =)

This tank will be an upgrade from my current 20g nano, which in the nano section will get old photos, and some current, pretty much the dwellers of the current 20, will make the transfer to the new tank once its up (also dependent and if i move or not but that's a entirely separate story)

Planned Equipment
Waterbox Aquariums Frag 60.3 +Plus edition (possibly changing to frag 80.4)
  • Includes tank, cabinet, sump, and light
  • Display volume 41.1 gallons (36"l x 24"w x 12"h)
  • Sump volume 20 gallons (also has a 2.9 gallon ato section in addition)
  • 2x AI hydra 26 HD's
Reef octopus varios 4 or 6 return pump
2x Nero5 pumps
2x 150w colbalt Neotherm heaters
Reef Octopus eSsence s-130 skimmer
hydrofil ti ato and pump (bringing from 20g build)
LED light system from my 20g for the fuge section I'll be running

(additions/ or changes that would be beneficial always welcome to hear about them)

Planned Dwellers

Fish (all with ? are possible, * indicates want)
Flame Angel(?)
Royal Gramma*
2 clowns* (1 will be a transfer from my 20g, the other will be added as a juvenile)
1-2 blue sapphire damsels* (1 from current tank
1 jawfish (blue dot, or pearly)*
1 shrimp goby*
bicolor blenny, or sailfin blenny
1-2 dragonets (once tank is established)
reef safe wrasse?

any opinions of different fish or differents amount would be awesome

Corals

LPS:
Acans
hammer/frogspawn/torch
favia
Fungia
blastomussa
chalice

Softies:
toadstool
leather (will transfer)

Shroomies:
Ricordea (will transfer)

Anemone:
Bubble tip anemone
rock flower anemone

SPS:
lepto
montipora both crusting and branching
birdsnest

Zoa's

Clam (once tank is established)

as with the fish any recommendations will fantastic

INVERTS:
pistol shrimp (may be a transfer from my 20g)
2 fire shrimp
hermits
various snails
tuxedo urchin?
serpent star (transfer)

I am prepared to culture phyto and copepods for fish who need it

Last edited:
OP
OP
Aheinz

Aheinz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah it'll be greater than 6 months but hopefully less than a year before I can kick it off the ground and get it started

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good to me. Excited for some pictures. Stocking list looks good and great equipment list :). Just keep an eye on the flame, they've been noted as coral nippers :)

OP
OP
Aheinz

Aheinz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good to me. Excited for some pictures. Stocking list looks good and great equipment list :). Just keep an eye on the flame, they've been noted as coral nippers :)
Yep been doing my research, depending on the space I'm planning to put the tank in may upgrade to a larger tank, and also it will be quite a few months before I can get started on it sadly

OP
OP
Aheinz

Aheinz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright so if I have the space to change my tank I'm looking at going with the frag 80.4 allowing me to gain an extra 1ft x 2 ft chunk and about 15 gallons display volume the 2 ai hydra 26 HDs would still cover the space very well. What are your thoughts, and would I need to upgrade the heaters? If I run 2 150w heater in conjunction it should work or should I go with running a single 300w heater? (Either on the frag 60 or frag 80)

OP
OP
Aheinz

Aheinz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excited and cant wait till I can get started I'm looking at if I have the space to move up to the frag 80.4 from water box. And extra 1ft by 2 ft of floor space and tank space

OP
OP
Aheinz

Aheinz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So upon looking Inman go larger and go reef 130.4 or 100.3 for a bit more aquascaping height thoughts?

OP
OP
Aheinz

Aheinz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As of right now the reef 100.3 is where I'm leaning to the most, as itll be a good upgrade for gallons as well as still manageable in the space I'm thinking of. Also a great blank slate for aquascaping design, which I'll probably spend a lot of time on . Still months put before I can start this journey but through research I have most of my equipment picked out and with certain equipment narrowed down to 2 options for said equipment. I'm still debating on which salt I want to start the tank with (current tank use red sea pro). I also need focus of what critters I wanna put in, besides the ones that will be moving from my 20 gallon tank. I'm excited for having a "professional looking" tank system, i love my nano but wishing I took more time to really be able to look it less DIY and have it cleaner looking

OP
OP
Aheinz

Aheinz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So currently waiting for november and to see what goes on sale then itll be the buying of equipment (even though I'm still over seas)

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure. Last year I lucked out. I wanted to buy an apex, and I had read everywhere that they wernt going to go on sale for black Friday. So that friday afternoon i ordered one. Two hours my phone pings with an email from BRS. Neptune Apex 10% off. I'm like "are you kidding me!" But BRS being the amazing company they are honored it and I got the difference of the sale price back.

OP
OP
Aheinz

Aheinz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure. Last year I lucked out. I wanted to buy an apex, and I had read everywhere that they wernt going to go on sale for black Friday. So that friday afternoon i ordered one. Two hours my phone pings with an email from BRS. Neptune Apex 10% off. I'm like "are you kidding me!" But BRS being the amazing company they are honored it and I got the difference of the sale price back.

Yep, looking foward to seeign if waterbox reef 100.3 plus goes on sale, thats the tank im really wanting, some equipment liek return pumps etc, then hoping GHL profilux sets go on sale, if not, I already asked about military discounts, and they said that they offer them so that helps as well

OP
OP
Aheinz

Aheinz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright NEWS Time I will be getting things underway come Nov 1!!!!!

With the blue Friday sales, I'll be snagging up the 100.3 +plus tank with the new Hydra32hd's and watchugn for sales through out the month and grabbing the equipment I need/ want. Yes I'm still over seas but Family at home who support me and my hobbies will be home to bring in any packages =)

OP
OP
Aheinz

Aheinz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also if y'all didn't see my post in the lighting section, I may start with the hydras, and if I feel like it would be better to run the hybrid at that point i will buy the hybrid system. Or maybe down the lien just going with the Hybrid system eventually =P. planning to follow the Saxby/ ab+ and tweaking it to my likes

OP
OP
Aheinz

Aheinz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drum roll ensues. Well this build will eventually be legitimately beyond planning phase woohoo!!!!

Started out thinking of doing a water box frag series, then deciding it was too shallow for what I wanted at the time (12 inches tall) I wanted a bit more, I switched to the reef 100.3 but as of @waterboxblue friday , they released a new line of frag tanks at 16" tall over the previous 12, that makes for the perfect height I wanted.

So today I purchased the frag 85.3
So now I'll be fully planning around a tank. I'm excited for this new journey

Back