AI Aqua blade size, suggestions.

navada718

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suggestions on if I should get the 21 inch Aqua blade grow & glow lights or the 30 inch grow & glow?
IM 50 gal lagoon (29.92" L x 23.62" W x 16.14" H) Light mount 7inch from water surface

20230727_164422.jpg

LightingBug

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will most likely have to go with the 21" as the 30" is actually longer than 30" by a little.

FWIW, AI recommends to have (2) grow for each glow.

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't get them if I were you.
But 21 inch. You're going to want a 2 grow and a glow.
Glow makes it look good and grow adds the whites and other stuff.
Glow is just blues no whites or anything else.
But they're overly expensive and get in the way too much compared to something like primes or kessels.

OP
OP
navada718

navada718

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't get them if I were you.
But 21 inch. You're going to want a 2 grow and a glow.
Glow makes it look good and grow adds the whites and other stuff.
Glow is just blues no whites or anything else.
But they're overly expensive and get in the way too much compared to something like primes or kessels.
I'm currently down to my last kessil 360we out of 3 I purchased a while back. Was interested in the 360x but wanted feedback. Why wouldn't get the Ai blades?

LightingBug

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it matters, I had 2 grows and 1 glow, all 21" on my IM 20 Penn. tank at 12" above the sand (used the standard mounting feet) and the PAR levels from my PMK showed about 160 PAR at the sand.

I did replace them for Prime 16's. 2 of them show 133 PAR on the sand. I like the Prime's better even though a little less par for me. The Primes are about 22" from the sand.

paragrouper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the leds have a 95 degree spread so the 21” would be appropriate at 7” above the tank. I cannot comment on whether/how many grows versus glows. I looked at these when I planned to upgrade my lights, but decided to go another direction.

OP
OP
navada718

navada718

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it matters, I had 2 grows and 1 glow, all 21" on my IM 20 Penn. tank at 12" above the sand (used the standard mounting feet) and the PAR levels from my PMK showed about 160 PAR at the sand.

I did replace them for Prime 16's. 2 of them show 133 PAR on the sand. I like the Prime's better even though a little less par for me. The Primes are about 22" from the sand.
I Will look into the prime 16. I came in the hobby as a kessil Stan lol

OP
OP
navada718

navada718

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the leds have a 95 degree spread so the 21” would be appropriate at 7” above the tank. I cannot comment on whether/how many grows versus glows. I looked at these when I planned to upgrade my lights, but decided to go another direction.
What other direction, if you don't mind me asking?

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 blades (1 glow 2 grows) over my 75 gal. They produce alot of light but one of them just turns off randomly.

But I have 2 prime 16 over my 80gal shallow and I like it so much better. They also don't get in the way.
Edit- they get very hot and make the tank hot. I have no heater on that tank and it sits at 77 degrees at day.

LightingBug

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really nothing wrong with the blades, it was just that having them on the top of the tank edge was a problem, 3 of them took the whole width so I had to move one for feeding/etc. I tried the above tank mount but it just didn't do it for me aesthetic-wise.

The prime's do have more color options vs. the glow+grow combo's

LightingBug

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 blades (1 glow 2 grows) over my 75 gal. They produce alot of light but one of them just turns off randomly.

But I have 2 prime 16 over my 80gal shallow and I like it so much better. They also don't get in the way.
this for me + I have lost 2 blades due to my dropping them in the tank when I was moving them for maintenence.

They do NOT like to get wet.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Been running Blades since February. Video in my tank build.

I’ve used or tested almost every major LED on the market and the Blades impressed me the most by a mile.

I had some of the early batch issues but AI handled all those and I’ve been running smoothly ever since. Dropped one end in the water a few weeks ago and not an issue. They are IP rated.

You will need 4 Primes to cover that tank properly and will still have shadowing and issues. They need to be mounted much higher than 7” off the tank. BRS has great videos on all of these lights to show what works best for your setup. 7” off the water is the sweet spot for the Blades and they won’t be in the way. Mine are hanging 8” off the water and never in the way.

LightingBug

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dropped one end in the water a few weeks ago and not an issue.
They are IP66 rated, not waterproof for sure:

AI warranty would not replace mine after dropping the end in water.

Edit to add:
It's important to note that although an IP66 enclosure is waterproof against hose-directed water and falling drops of rain or snow, it's not intended to be submerged in water.

My power ends were below the surface albeit only for a second or three.

OP
OP
navada718

navada718

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’ve used or tested almost every major LED on the market and the Blades impressed me the most by a mile.

I had some of the early batch issues but AI handled all those and I’ve been running smoothly ever since. Dropped one end in the water a few weeks ago and not an issue. They are IP rated.

You will need 4 Primes to cover that tank properly and will still have shadowing and issues. They need to be mounted much higher than 7” off the tank. BRS has great videos on all of these lights to show what works best for your setup. 7” off the water is the sweet spot for the Blades and they won’t be in the way. Mine are hanging 8” off the water and never in the way.
Thanks for the informative info.
I'm contemplating on starting with 1, 21inch grow & glow, based from the responses from thisthread. But the kessil 360x is calling me...the reviews are guiding me into other options. Would you happen to know why the ai 21 inch glow is more significantly more expensive than the grow?

OP
OP
navada718

navada718

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are IP66 rated, not waterproof for sure:

AI warranty would not replace mine after dropping the end in water.

Edit to add:
It's important to note that although an IP66 enclosure is waterproof against hose-directed water and falling drops of rain or snow, it's not intended to be submerged in water.

My power ends were below the surface albeit only for a second or three.
dang, that sucks. One would assume it'll be water proof or least resistance.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the informative info.
I'm contemplating on starting with 1, 21inch grow & glow, based from the responses from thisthread. But the kessil 360x is calling me...the reviews are guiding me into other options. Would you happen to know why the ai 21 inch glow is more significantly more expensive than the grow?
All the Glow models are more expensive. It’s the violet LEDs. They are far more expensive than royal blue LEDs.

dang, that sucks. One would assume it'll be water proof or least resistance.

No light for our tanks is water proof. Drop a Kessil, Radion, Prime, or any other light in a tank and see if it still works. It may or may not depending on how lucky one gets.

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I also got the early batch ones.
They do seem more "easy-er" to drip in the water like most lights.
The issue for me is they get covered in salt creep and they also get in the way. Along with one of the grows turns off randomly for whatever reason.

But I have only 2 prime 16 running over my 80 gal and I keep several sps (and nem) just fine.
Par is low in some places but I am planning on getting a 3rd.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 162 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back