Ai Hydra 32HD Capabilities

SaltyWaffles

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am very new to reefing and I was wondering about the abilities of the Ai Hydra 32? I have been looking at the C-vue Cobalt 26g, 40g, or 45g and I was wondering if the Hydra would be a good suited light for any of these tanks. The 26g and 40g tanks are shallow rectangular tanks and are each 13" deep (water level). The 26g is 24" wide and the 40g is 36" wide. The 45g is more of a cube tank and is 25" wide and 17" deep. I'm looking to make a mixed reef in the future with mostly LPS and softies, but with some SPS. Would i be able to get away with 1 Hydra 32 for any of these or would I need say 2 Ai Primes on the rectangular tanks?

Additionally are there any other lights that people have been happy with that are similarly priced with the same capabilities that come build in to the Ai lights?

Thanks,
-Caleb

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the previous AI lights the Hydra 24 and 48. Both have decent multiple color channels and are easily programmed for both time and power of each spectrum. They are good solid lights. As far as lights go, the Radion is kind of the gold standard. And has a more even coverage. Of course, raising the lights a bit improves uniformity of coverage. The 32 should be OK for a cube. Also, SPS are more light loving than LPS or softies. So if you stick the SPS in the hot spots, you would do fine. With any LED lights, more fixtures is more better as far as coverage goes.

Bulk Reef Supply has decent videos on AI lights, you might check them out.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

SaltyWaffles

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the previous AI lights the Hydra 24 and 48. Both have decent multiple color channels and are easily programmed for both time and power of each spectrum. They are good solid lights. As far as lights go, the Radion is kind of the gold standard. And has a more even coverage. Of course, raising the lights a bit improves uniformity of coverage. The 32 should be OK for a cube. Also, SPS are more light loving than LPS or softies. So if you stick the SPS in the hot spots, you would do fine. With any LED lights, more fixtures is more better as far as coverage goes.

Bulk Reef Supply has decent videos on AI lights, you might check them out.
Thanks a bunch!

Upvote 0

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A single ai prime would be better than a single hydra for the 26? And In that case would a single Hydra work for the 40 or would 2 primes be better?

I mean, it really depends what you want to do. I had two AI Primes on my Reefer 250 and everything was happy, I never really did SPS though. More because I felt that I wasn't ready to take it on. Now, I have three 32s on my 525XL.

The two AI primes on the 40 in my opinion would be better because you get better, and more even spread.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

SaltyWaffles

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean, it really depends what you want to do. I had two AI Primes on my Reefer 250 and everything was happy, I never really did SPS though. More because I felt that I wasn't ready to take it on. Now, I have three 32s on my 525XL.

The two AI primes on the 40 in my opinion would be better because you get better, and more even spread.
Ok that makes a lot of sense. As I looked now the 250 is the same width as the 40 so thats good to know

Upvote 0

obaptista

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just looked at this for my tank. One Hydra will handle 24x24. To cover the 36 tank you need two primes. If SPS, you want to spread the pucks to get under plating and branching. Some supplement w/t5 when they get to that point. Agree, BRS videos have great guidance.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

SaltyWaffles

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just looked at this for my tank. One Hydra will handle 24x24. To cover the 36 tank you need two primes. If SPS, you want to spread the pucks to get under plating and branching. Some supplement w/t5 when they get to that point. Agree, BRS videos have great guidance.
Ok thank you very much, and yes I have been looking into that. Cheers

Upvote 0

uhgster1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 Primes over my 65 gallon which has the same exact footprint as a 40 gallon breeder.
BE0D50DF-05BE-49F0-BEC3-D8E0345831FC_1_201_a.jpeg

Upvote 0

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have used the AI prime 16HD, Hydra 32HD and currently use Ecotech XR15 G5 Blue. Of course, the XR15 is my favorite of those 3. The spread is much more even and extends further than the 32HD. I had them on a 29g standard tank. You could see the light tapering off towards the sides of the tank with the 32HD mounted at 12” above the water level (that’s the max their mount will go). I do not see any visible light drop off with the XR15 mounted 8.5” off the waterline. If you do not mind getting 2 lights, the AI Prime 16HD will be a better choice.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

SaltyWaffles

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used the AI prime 16HD, Hydra 32HD and currently use Ecotech XR15 G5 Blue. Of course, the XR15 is my favorite of those 3. The spread is much more even and extends further than the 32HD. I had them on a 29g standard tank. You could see the light tapering off towards the sides of the tank with the 32HD mounted at 12” above the water level (that’s the max their mount will go). I do not see any visible light drop off with the XR15 mounted 8.5” off the waterline. If you do not mind getting 2 lights, the AI Prime 16HD will be a better choice.
Thank you for the input.

Upvote 0

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I have three ai hydra HD over my 425xl. I’m mixed reef with about 35 corals. My sps have encrusted and have been growing since DAY 1 from switching from Kessil 360we. Especially the Millies, and acropora , taking off.

Upvote 0

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AI Prime claims to handle a 24x24 area on it's own.

Don't know if I'd put SPS under it though in a 24x24.

Safer to say a prime can do 12x12 but two could probably do 24x36

I have a Hydra on my RF JBJ45 and never had any problems with SPS or anything in terms of light/par.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

SaltyWaffles

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AI Prime claims to handle a 24x24 area on it's own.

Don't know if I'd put SPS under it though in a 24x24.

Safer to say a prime can do 12x12 but two could probably do 24x36

I have a Hydra on my RF JBJ45 and never had any problems with SPS or anything in terms of light/par.
What are the dimensions of the JBJ45? And how deep is it?

Upvote 0

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back