AI Hydra Translation of SPS AB+

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

dave57

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#AskBrstv #RandyBrs
Can you guys verify this with a spectrometer?

quoting, Stephen Mc Gowen
“Last week the question came up about the equivalent percentages for the BRStv SPS AB+ Spectrum program. BRStv shared their settings for an AI Prime HD and there are lots of variations on this schedule available, as a download from this page. The question that was asked was if there was a translation of this for a 52 HD. Although the 52 HD is 4 LED pucks, to the Prime HDs 1 puck, the power available on each channel isn't just a 4 times what you'd get from a Prime. So I pulled together the data and worked out the equivalent values for the SPS AB+ program for a Prime HD, a 26 HD and a 52HD.

For those who only want the results, here they are. The percentages are given to 2 decimal places, which obviously you can't do in the app but the values can just be rounded to the nearest whole number:

26 HD:
UV - 117.98% (ie. max)
Violet - 101.27%
Royal - 82.34%
Blue - 64.64%
Green - 5.54%
Deep Red - 5.16%
Cool White - 19.03%

Honestly I don't think there's a lot of difference for a 26HD, I'm not convinced it will make a huge difference. Overall it uses almost 3.5 Watts less power, so adjusting to this may meant less PAR getting to your coral.

52 HD:
UV - 156.40% (ie. max)
Violet - 135.11%
Royal - 118.87%
Blue - 77.21%
Green - 10.55%
Deep Red - 8.83%
Cool White - 27.10%

This program is very different. It makes use of the HD range of the Royal colour channel as well. It also uses an additional 12 Watts of power, than the standard AB+ program, so it should meant significantly more PAR getting to your corals.

Now, for those who are interested in how I came up with these numbers. The AI lights have a max amount of milliWatts (mW) they can handle and a max amount of mW per colour channel as well. Using this I worked out the total amount of mW used by the SPS AB+ program and then worked out the percentage of that total that was allocated to each channel. At this point I have to make an assumption, that the color spectrum of each colour channel, will stay the same, no matter how much power is being driven through it...as far as I know, because of how LEDs work, this is a fair assumption (open to critics of this, if I'm wrong). Lastly I calculated the equivalent power distribution between all of the colour channels, for the Hydra 26 HD and Hydra 52 HD, before converting everything back to percentages, to share.

If anyone has any questions about how this all worked, or criticisms let me know. The data behind the numbers above can be seen at this link. David Garcia thanks for the help”

Last edited:

Kevinkmk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. Following the thread. Any reason why the blue is lowever than royal blue? I think brs prime ab+ has them at the same with +/- 1%

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#AskBrstv #RandyBrs
Can you guys verify this with a spectrometer?
Last week the question came up about the equivalent percentages for the BRStv SPS AB+ Spectrum program. BRStv shared their settings for an AI Prime HD and there are lots of variations on this schedule available, as a download from this page. The question that was asked was if there was a translation of this for a 52 HD. Although the 52 HD is 4 LED pucks, to the Prime HDs 1 puck, the power available on each channel isn't just a 4 times what you'd get from a Prime. So I pulled together the data and worked out the equivalent values for the SPS AB+ program for a Prime HD, a 26 HD and a 52HD.

If anyone has any questions about how this all worked, or criticisms let me know. The data behind the numbers above can be seen at this link. David Garcia thanks for the help”

Let’s find out!
09771227-71B4-4CDD-AE51-ED004B6CADA4.jpeg

Stephen Mc Gowan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. Following the thread. Any reason why the blue is lowever than royal blue? I think brs prime ab+ has them at the same with +/- 1%

The reason is that the royal channels in the 26HD and 52HD are a lot less powerful, relative to the blue channel, compared to on a Prime HD.

• Prime HD
    • Blue - 9.67 mW
    • Royal - 16.7 mW
    • Blue -> Royal - + 72.7%
  • 26 HD
    • Blue - 23.137 mW
    • Royal - 33.35 mW
    • Blue -> Royal - + 44.1%
  • 52 HD
    • Blue - 42.583 mW
    • Royal - 61.380 mW
Here is the calculations behind these values: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Kxr1PQHys3vshuqzCKYLCypKzaoHc8oNM-0eWNkXxcQ/edit?usp=sharing

Kevinkmk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason is that the royal channels in the 26HD and 52HD are a lot less powerful, relative to the blue channel, compared to on a Prime HD.

• Prime HD
    • Blue - 9.67 mW
    • Royal - 16.7 mW
    • Blue -> Royal - + 72.7%
  • 26 HD
    • Blue - 23.137 mW
    • Royal - 33.35 mW
  • 52 HD
    • Blue - 42.583 mW
    • Royal - 61.380 mW
Here is the calculations behind these values: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Kxr1PQHys3vshuqzCKYLCypKzaoHc8oNM-0eWNkXxcQ/edit?usp=sharing
Thanks for the explanation! Looking forward with the result from Randy as well

OREGONIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cant wait to see results for the 26 hd! Hopefully BRS will make a video out of this. I had always figured that the 26 was just 2 primes and the 52 was 4!

Stephen Mc Gowan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prime is 54 watts per puck
26 is 45 watts per puck
52 is basically 30 watts per puck.

Close, although the specs you seem to be quoting are the "from the wall"(FTW) wattages, the actual units differ slightly from that.

Prime HD:
FTW - 55 watts
Reported use (from the API / the UI) - 48 watts
Per puck - 48 watts

26 HD:
FTW - 90 watts
Reported Use - 90 watts
Per puck - 45 watts

52 HD:
FTW - 135 watts
Reported Use - 120 watts
Per puck - 30 watts

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Close, although the specs you seem to be quoting are the "from the wall"(FTW) wattages, the actual units differ slightly from that.

Prime HD:
FTW - 55 watts
Reported use (from the API / the UI) - 48 watts
Per puck - 48 watts

26 HD:
FTW - 90 watts
Reported Use - 90 watts
Per puck - 45 watts

52 HD:
FTW - 135 watts
Reported Use - 120 watts
Per puck - 30 watts
I was just trying to say in a simple way that 4 primes are not the same as a 52 or 1-52 isn’t the same as 2-26’s etc.

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys at BRS and Stephen for translating this for the community. I couldn’t do it without you guys. Fortunate for people like you guys that make this hobby go to the next levels

@dave57
@randyBRS
What is your thoughts on lunar lighting? It would be nice since I have a schedule that varies times when I view the reef

Gotareeftokeep

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@randyBRS any chance of posting the resulting percentages that you came up with for the closest AB spectrum match with the different AI lighting units so the rest of us to be able to reference/try out.

Thanks

Matt

Back