AI Hydra Translation of SPS AB+

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe they’re very similar but not identical, the spectrum regardless will give you good color and growth, I would recommend utilizing a par meter to gauge and set the intensity for your specific coral species.
Thanks! I went ahead an basically copied the numbers over with some very minor adjustments. I wish AquaIlluminations would do a more clear video on the lunar cycle and how it works on YouTube. Their video now is very confusing and uses what looks to be an older version of the app. I just set my moon lights to constant with a tiny bit of red (1%) to simulate dusk, changing into violet, royal blue and blue (all 1%) reaching "peak moon" for 2 hours of highest moon % @75. Looks great. Don't have any corals yet to see how they like it as I'm still currently cycling.

Riotjj21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#AskBrstv #RandyBrs
Can you guys verify this with a spectrometer?

quoting, Stephen Mc Gowen
“Last week the question came up about the equivalent percentages for the BRStv SPS AB+ Spectrum program. BRStv shared their settings for an AI Prime HD and there are lots of variations on this schedule available, as a download from this page. The question that was asked was if there was a translation of this for a 52 HD. Although the 52 HD is 4 LED pucks, to the Prime HDs 1 puck, the power available on each channel isn't just a 4 times what you'd get from a Prime. So I pulled together the data and worked out the equivalent values for the SPS AB+ program for a Prime HD, a 26 HD and a 52HD.

For those who only want the results, here they are. The percentages are given to 2 decimal places, which obviously you can't do in the app but the values can just be rounded to the nearest whole number:

26 HD:
UV - 117.98% (ie. max)
Violet - 101.27%
Royal - 82.34%
Blue - 64.64%
Green - 5.54%
Deep Red - 5.16%
Cool White - 19.03%

Honestly I don't think there's a lot of difference for a 26HD, I'm not convinced it will make a huge difference. Overall it uses almost 3.5 Watts less power, so adjusting to this may meant less PAR getting to your coral.

52 HD:
UV - 156.40% (ie. max)
Violet - 135.11%
Royal - 118.87%
Blue - 77.21%
Green - 10.55%
Deep Red - 8.83%
Cool White - 27.10%

This program is very different. It makes use of the HD range of the Royal colour channel as well. It also uses an additional 12 Watts of power, than the standard AB+ program, so it should meant significantly more PAR getting to your corals.

Now, for those who are interested in how I came up with these numbers. The AI lights have a max amount of milliWatts (mW) they can handle and a max amount of mW per colour channel as well. Using this I worked out the total amount of mW used by the SPS AB+ program and then worked out the percentage of that total that was allocated to each channel. At this point I have to make an assumption, that the color spectrum of each colour channel, will stay the same, no matter how much power is being driven through it...as far as I know, because of how LEDs work, this is a fair assumption (open to critics of this, if I'm wrong). Lastly I calculated the equivalent power distribution between all of the colour channels, for the Hydra 26 HD and Hydra 52 HD, before converting everything back to percentages, to share.

If anyone has any questions about how this all worked, or criticisms let me know. The data behind the numbers above can be seen at this link. David Garcia thanks for the help”
Hey guys I know this is an old thread and I watched Randy’s video, but I can’t find where Randy started with the Prime 16 which he said was pretty spot on for the Radion ab+ settings for the Prime. I have the new prime 16HD and would like to know what Randy is talking about with respect to the Prime settings which are pretty spot on with the Radion AB+. Can you lead me in that direction? Thanks

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I know this is an old thread and I watched Randy’s video, but I can’t find where Randy started with the Prime 16 which he said was pretty spot on for the Radion ab+ settings for the Prime. I have the new prime 16HD and would like to know what Randy is talking about with respect to the Prime settings which are pretty spot on with the Radion AB+. Can you lead me in that direction? Thanks
You can find our new Prime 16 video in the link below. While we didn't necessarily shoot to 100% copy AB+, it was certainly taken into account when we decided on our BRS recommended spectrum settings.

Riotjj21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can find our new Prime 16 video in the link below. While we didn't necessarily shoot to 100% copy AB+, it was certainly taken into account when we decided on our BRS recommended spectrum settings.

Yes I've viewed this video many times. Thanks. Maybe Randy can chime in. I have a 20g 14 x 14 x 23.25. now have two 16 hd reef primes. How should they be placed? 1/3 and 2/3 which is 7.75 and 15.50" or a little closer to each end of tank? Like 6 inches from the end. I rented a par meter. And used the brs values for a 12 gallon cube but I could not get those par values. I have a mixed reef so I have now at 8.5 above water. Thanks BRS
[/QUOTE]

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 19.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 43 51.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.6%
Back