AI Hydra Translation of SPS AB+

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy, I have 2 hydra 52 HD’s over my 50 gallon cube. Your hydra 52 setting produce 650-700 par with my 2 fixtures. Will the spectrum shift if I reduce the sliders proportionally?

If there were any shift I wouldn't expect them to shift dramatically, since we're really talking about changes in intensity rather than changes to spectrum. I'd personally be comfortable running a proportionate intensity to these settings over my tank. :)

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there were any shift I wouldn't expect them to shift dramatically, since we're really talking about changes in intensity rather than changes to spectrum. I'd personally be comfortable running a proportionate intensity to these settings over my tank. :)
Awesome
Thanks

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We show them in the first set of sliders in this video, but in case you missed it here they are again.

UV - 119%,
violet - 116%,
royal blue - 79%,
Blues - 80%,
green - 4%,
deep red - 4%
cool whites - 19%.

@randyBRS

he's asking the original prime (non hd) AB+ settings. the original prime, non HD can't go over 100%.

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@randyBRS
he's asking the original prime (non hd) AB+ settings. the original prime, non HD can't go over 100%.

Nice catch @pdiehm thanks.

@Diddle I wish I had the resources to test out historical models of these lights, but since they are no longer manufactured we just don't have any available in house. :(

michaum

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys i got a question and not sure you can answer but here goes:

I have 2 Maxspect Ethereals on my tank and i do not know if i'm doing this the right way i am following along with your video and to achieve close to the Radions AB+ i play with my channel sliders until i get close to the same spectrum is this correct?

The Radions AB+ settings are as followed:
Radion AB+.jpg

Mine are:

file.png

but my question here is, is this the we do it to match spectrum? and to achieve this spectrum my UV are down to 30% is that normal or OK do i need to have more UV for the corals?

If anyone of you had setup Maxspect Ethereals it would be awesome if you could share your settings.

Thanks.

GuntertCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to follow. I did watch the video.. I have 2 Hydra 52HD on my 80 gallon. Its a mix reef but I dont think I have getting the best out of what I have. i have also thought of adding another 52 being I have a extra one. I like more blue cause it makes the colors pop but I dont mind it if its at its last couple of hours before bed. I also have the apex par meter. My system is run by apex too but went back to MyAi to use lights cause I didnt really like how apex had theirs set up. I have been reading and ill be completely honest I dont understand much of what I read. I am new to setting lights, par and even what setting for my two MP10 VorTech setting should be.
Any ideas or anyone have time to work with me on them? I want my corals to be happy, look good and grow. I have spent thousands in coral. My last light you just programmed times and it did the rest.. I can send data or pictures or anything someone needs to help me. I followed the video but it gave me little to no blues at least it didnt look like it. How this is not a dumb request and my me look silly but I have to try.. Thanks in advance.

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice catch @pdiehm thanks.

@Diddle I wish I had the resources to test out historical models of these lights, but since they are no longer manufactured we just don't have any available in house. :(

@randyBRS just throwing it out there...I could send you my AI Prime and you can do your tests.... I would just need a light to use, thinking an XR15Pro. Thanks !

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys i got a question and not sure you can answer but here goes:
I have 2 Maxspect Ethereals on my tank and i do not know if i'm doing this the right way i am following along with your video and to achieve close to the Radions AB+ i play with my channel sliders until i get close to the same spectrum is this correct?
but my question here is, is this the we do it to match spectrum? and to achieve this spectrum my UV are down to 30% is that normal or OK do i need to have more UV for the corals?
If anyone of you had setup Maxspect Ethereals it would be awesome if you could share your settings.
Thanks.

That's a pretty neat feature with those Maxspect lights. I haven't personally played around with one yet, so interesting to see. It looks like your on the right track to matching the spectrum provided by the AB+ schedule. My only concern is related to the accuracy of the Maxspect spectrum graphic. It's a really cool feature that is probably as accurate as they can make it.

I don't think many, if anyone, can speak to the "right" amount of UV for corals and how exactly it is going to effect growth, health and coloration. To my knowledge there's just very little to perhaps no lab research out there as to how each spectrum wavelength relates to coral metabolic function. Right now I'd say the best we have is ranges of spectrum that have been proven to have results so far in this hobby.

All-in-all there are a ton of ways to skin this cat and if your desire is to try and mimic the AB+ spectrum as best you can, it looks like you're on the right path and should try it out for a few months or so to see if you like how your corals react. I've got a list running of LED fixtures we carry to attempt to recreate the same AB+ spectrum with our spectrometer and the Maxspect Ethereal is on that list. Hopefully I can get to them in the near future and share in a video. :)

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to follow. I did watch the video.. I have 2 Hydra 52HD on my 80 gallon. Its a mix reef but I dont think I have getting the best out of what I have. i have also thought of adding another 52 being I have a extra one. I like more blue cause it makes the colors pop but I dont mind it if its at its last couple of hours before bed. I also have the apex par meter. My system is run by apex too but went back to MyAi to use lights cause I didnt really like how apex had theirs set up. I have been reading and ill be completely honest I dont understand much of what I read. I am new to setting lights, par and even what setting for my two MP10 VorTech setting should be.
Any ideas or anyone have time to work with me on them? I want my corals to be happy, look good and grow. I have spent thousands in coral. My last light you just programmed times and it did the rest.. I can send data or pictures or anything someone needs to help me. I followed the video but it gave me little to no blues at least it didnt look like it. How this is not a dumb request and my me look silly but I have to try.. Thanks in advance.

I think you'll get some solid points about PAR for a mixed tank from our most recent BRStv interview of the WWC 293gal tank in their lobby. Towards the end of the video I give a thorough breakdown of PAR ranges in that mixed reef tank. It's definitely something I would aim for in any future mixed reef I set up. With that in mind (and since you have a PAR meter handy), I'd set my spectrum and measure the PAR throughout the tank to see if the intensity needs adjusting. Without spoiling the WWC interview, you'll likely find that you're two Hydra 52s provide more than enough PAR for a mixed reef tank and you might even need to turn them down.

One thing I would caution is to be mindful of the total photo period length you choose for your tank. Granted, WWC uses a total 12.5hr photo period throughout the single day, but I'd say that a majority of reefers (including myself) would find this to be pretty long. That said, I'd recommend starting with a total photo period of around 8-ish hours or so and over several months increasing it if you really wanted to. There are many successful reefs out there that don't exceed 8-10hrs of total light in a single day.

Last thoughts on flow, as you'll also see in the WWC 293gal interview they use MP40s in that large system with a ReefCrest type of flow pattern. Since your 80gal isn't the same as their 293gal, the intensity requirements of your powerheads are likely going to be far away from each other, in which case I would recommend aiming for an intensity that keeps the water moving pretty well without blowing the sand all over the place. That should be a good starting point for you to make any necessary adjustments from down the road.

GuntertCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has that interview been done if so where would I find it?
I think you'll get some solid points about PAR for a mixed tank from our most recent BRStv interview of the WWC 293gal tank in their lobby. Towards the end of the video I give a thorough breakdown of PAR ranges in that mixed reef tank. It's definitely something I would aim for in any future mixed reef I set up. With that in mind (and since you have a PAR meter handy), I'd set my spectrum and measure the PAR throughout the tank to see if the intensity needs adjusting. Without spoiling the WWC interview, you'll likely find that you're two Hydra 52s provide more than enough PAR for a mixed reef tank and you might even need to turn them down.

One thing I would caution is to be mindful of the total photo period length you choose for your tank. Granted, WWC uses a total 12.5hr photo period throughout the single day, but I'd say that a majority of reefers (including myself) would find this to be pretty long. That said, I'd recommend starting with a total photo period of around 8-ish hours or so and over several months increasing it if you really wanted to. There are many successful reefs out there that don't exceed 8-10hrs of total light in a single day.

Last thoughts on flow, as you'll also see in the WWC 293gal interview they use MP40s in that large system with a ReefCrest type of flow pattern. Since your 80gal isn't the same as their 293gal, the intensity requirements of your powerheads are likely going to be far away from each other, in which case I would recommend aiming for an intensity that keeps the water moving pretty well without blowing the sand all over the place. That should be a good starting point for you to make any necessary adjustments from down the road.

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, that was the last of three interviews. :)

Here's the thread to the 293gal. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/t...reef-tank-the-brs-wwc-system-ep4-brstv.467931

Here's the playlist we're building around the BRS/WWC System that we'll start diving into everything about setting up a system with the same success as WWC, building upon some of their same approaches and our own collective BRS knowledge. We're just starting to scratch the surface on this one so definitely worth staying tuned for! https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBaMLrfToJywe2mMKDKWoLi1Is-Ro3_xk

michaum

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a pretty neat feature with those Maxspect lights. I haven't personally played around with one yet, so interesting to see. It looks like your on the right track to matching the spectrum provided by the AB+ schedule. My only concern is related to the accuracy of the Maxspect spectrum graphic. It's a really cool feature that is probably as accurate as they can make it.

I don't think many, if anyone, can speak to the "right" amount of UV for corals and how exactly it is going to effect growth, health and coloration. To my knowledge there's just very little to perhaps no lab research out there as to how each spectrum wavelength relates to coral metabolic function. Right now I'd say the best we have is ranges of spectrum that have been proven to have results so far in this hobby.

All-in-all there are a ton of ways to skin this cat and if your desire is to try and mimic the AB+ spectrum as best you can, it looks like you're on the right path and should try it out for a few months or so to see if you like how your corals react. I've got a list running of LED fixtures we carry to attempt to recreate the same AB+ spectrum with our spectrometer and the Maxspect Ethereal is on that list. Hopefully I can get to them in the near future and share in a video. :)
Thanks Randy for your reply! Awesome glad to hear i'm on the right track I am so pleased that you are testing those Maxspect Ethereals I would be so thrilled to see a video soon from you guys :) I always watch all your videos they are very well detailed and easy to understand keep up the good work as always you and Ryan rock!

pieceofreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to the hobby and about to put together my first tank (IM Lagoon 25). I've been puzzled over choosing the right lighting option and the BRS videos have helped me a lot in understanding some of the key factors.

I'm wrestling with myself regarding the Radion XR15 G4 Pro vs AI Hydra 26. The Hydra is significantly cheaper, especially if you count a ReefLink or Apex module to match the wifi controllability of the Hydra. Clearly, Radions are getting lots of love by tons of reefers, BRS, and WWC. So I'm wondering why one would choose the Radion over the Hydra (especially when you don't own Reeflink, Apex module, and other ecotech equipment already)?

1) Spectrum: Most people run the AB+ program. The recent BRS video showed you can get very similar spectrum on AI vs Radion templates. I've never been able to see them side by side but I assume that this means that they can look the same and would give my coral the same pop, right? So the color and pop it produces can't be a reason for the Radion, right?

2) Power: According to this awesome website it's about 20% more avg par with a XR15 G4 Pro compared to the hydra 26 but peak par and power consumption are almost the same. Most reefers do not use either at 100% and certainly I wouldn't on a shallow lagoon with a mixed reef. Given that I would never run either close to 100% my guess is that this extra power is not really put to use?

3) To get wireless control it's another $100 for a reeflink. I might get an Apex down the road and then would need another module. The diffusers also are extra yet again.

Please change my mind :) I love to learn. Why wouldn't new reefers simply go for the AI options? Thanks everyone!

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to the hobby and about to put together my first tank (IM Lagoon 25). I've been puzzled over choosing the right lighting option and the BRS videos have helped me a lot in understanding some of the key factors.

I'm wrestling with myself regarding the Radion XR15 G4 Pro vs AI Hydra 26. The Hydra is significantly cheaper, especially if you count a ReefLink or Apex module to match the wifi controllability of the Hydra. Clearly, Radions are getting lots of love by tons of reefers, BRS, and WWC. So I'm wondering why one would choose the Radion over the Hydra (especially when you don't own Reeflink, Apex module, and other ecotech equipment already)?

1) Spectrum: Most people run the AB+ program. The recent BRS video showed you can get very similar spectrum on AI vs Radion templates. I've never been able to see them side by side but I assume that this means that they can look the same and would give my coral the same pop, right? So the color and pop it produces can't be a reason for the Radion, right?

2) Power: According to this awesome website it's about 20% more avg par with a XR15 G4 Pro compared to the hydra 26 but peak par and power consumption are almost the same. Most reefers do not use either at 100% and certainly I wouldn't on a shallow lagoon with a mixed reef. Given that I would never run either close to 100% my guess is that this extra power is not really put to use?

3) To get wireless control it's another $100 for a reeflink. I might get an Apex down the road and then would need another module. The diffusers also are extra yet again.

Please change my mind :) I love to learn. Why wouldn't new reefers simply go for the AI options? Thanks everyone!

This really could be more of a personal choice between the two, but here are some points I would also consider.
1) Since your tank is so shallow, regardless of total wattage output and PAR capabilities of each fixture you're not nearly going to use 100% of what they can do. If it were me, I just wouldn't complicate my decision process over a detail that won't pertain to my specific tank.
2) Yes, aesthetically the spectrum I used to attempt the Radion AB+ is going to be fairly close to the same color/look that the Radion produces. However, the Radion does have a wider range of LED numbers and spectrum offering, so it won't be exactly the same (but wouldn't deter me from using on my tank).
3) If out-of-the-box controlability is a priority to you (which it sounds like it may be) the AI seems like an obvious choice for that alone.
4) Getting back to your tank specifically, I don't doubt that both fixtures will meet the needs of that tank so honestly either option is likely a good one. (The AI being the more cost effective option.) :)

Zohar78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would also add that you have to get a module for the ai for apex too.
I was in a similar boat, i really like the price of the ai lights, and almost went with it but decided to me it was worth the extra bit to get the ecotech. its a little tougher sell with one light, but i knew that i was going to need atleast 3 for my next tank, so i took the reef link cost and spread it out across the three lights. Plus dont forget the ecotech powerheads, and pumps can use the device too. I dont know what your going to use as powerheads/pumps in the tank, but if you plan on getting ecotech other stuff, it may make the reef link cost easier to digest.

pieceofreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your reply! It makes sense that the more Ecotech/Radion products one links together the differences become smaller. And I'm thinking of getting an MP10 as well.My understanding is that you do NOT need an extra module, as described here: https://forum.neptunesystems.com/showthread.php?23872-AI-Control-of-AI-Prime-amp-amp-Hydra-HD-lights

Actually, a great topic for an #AskBRStv episode! ;) But yes, it does look like you can now control AI HD lights via the latest Neptune Apex using their latest IOTA programming.

lactose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, a great topic for an #AskBRStv episode! ;) But yes, it does look like you can now control AI HD lights via the latest Neptune Apex using their latest IOTA programming.
I am doing this very thing with my Apex and very happy so far. Also works with Prime and PrimeHD. I have my Apex controlling my AI, EcoTech and Kessil lights across systems.

yoteru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would be the proper way to reduce intensity, but keep the same spectrum?

Reduce each value by the same percentage?

Or to reduce each value by the same amount?

For example, take UV 118% and reduce by 18% to 100%?

Violet 116% minus 18% to make 98%

Or take 118% and multiple it by .85 to get 100.3%?

116* .85 = 98.6%

And so on for each value?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 20.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 39 52.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.3%
Back