AI Hydra Translation of SPS AB+

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would be the proper way to reduce intensity, but keep the same spectrum?

Reduce each value by the same percentage?

Or to reduce each value by the same amount?

For example, take UV 118% and reduce by 18% to 100%?

Violet 116% minus 18% to make 98%

Or take 118% and multiple it by .85 to get 100.3%?

116* .85 = 98.6%

And so on for each value?
All you have to do is put one 1 finger on top and one finger on the bottom of your schedule. Move your finger toward each other to reduce the intensity or move them apart to increase the intensity.

yoteru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All you have to do is put one 1 finger on top and one finger on the bottom of your schedule. Move your finger toward each other to reduce the intensity or move them apart to increase the intensity.
Is there way to do that on a desktop computer? Non-touch screen device?

kdino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

116* .85 = 98.6%

IMO those .3 and .6's wont make a difference

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
116* .85 = 98.6%

Since you are only able to adjust the sliders by whole numbers, you could apply universal percentage decrease to each spectrum, round to the nearest whole number and expect to roughly achieve the same spectrum. I highly doubt there will be a significant change in spectrum from one channel being +/- 1%; and I would also doubt that those ever-so-slight changes will have drastic effects to your corals.

I think the biggest takeaway from everything we've seen throughout the years about lighting reefs, is that there is a pretty wide band of spectrum that is capable of producing great results. With that in mind, as long as you are somewhere in that spectrum band and not in the extremes you should be easily able to grow coral, a prime example of this are the folks at WWC. They have modified the AB+ spectrum and are producing undeniable results. However, maybe more importantly than spectrum, their focus is more so on the even distribution/spread/diffusion and average PAR throughout the tank for the coral types they are trying to keep.

Swav8tor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is a AI Hydra thread but I have Primes and was able to translate the AB+, readings are below (par).

Was able to borrow a par meter from my lfs and mapped out my tank. I would like to try my hand at sps, but I love my lps and softies. How much light is too much for lps and softies and zoas?

IM 20 Fusion
MIGHTYJET MIDSIZE AIO DC RETURN PUMP (538 GPH)
2 AI Prime HD
Intank media basket
Intank fuge basket
Ghost skimmer
Tunze ATO
Vivid Creative Aquariums RFG

Lights are 10 inches above the water and are 9 inches apart.

I got readings for both saxby’s and BRS AB+

bc37af6c998924fd91f1e7ce4dd0f0af.jpg
f7c5d86fbf176b5f22c3664948dd053d.jpg
c1f7f458bb74c59f64a153d08ee7d750.jpg
319e5c73be22771f9072802656c53253.jpg
0f1fdc762519facb0e66e02e3d357c3b.jpg

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a little confused and hope someone can explain.. what is the difference between AB+ and the AI Signature settings like Saxby above? Looks like you getting more par with the saxby settings so why go with AB+ ? Also with any setting you go with, when introducing a new coral do I need to put on the AI acclimation mode? New to LED, was T5 guy

Justintegra99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a little confused and hope someone can explain.. what is the difference between AB+ and the AI Signature settings like Saxby above? Looks like you getting more par with the saxby settings so why go with AB+ ? Also with any setting you go with, when introducing a new coral do I need to put on the AI acclimation mode? New to LED, was T5 guy

Long answer short? Spectrum. There are two factors, how bright is the light, and what color spectrums is it preventing. These two have different color spectrums

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So ab + is higher setting? Would you use one setting over the over and why? So if you had 2 tanks, one sps and the other lps.. what setup would you use for lps?

Justintegra99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, what is your priority? Maximizing coral growth, or just finding something the corals seem to like and you love the look of? Corals would be just fine with saxby, assuming you have the intensity appropriately set. If you like the look of it, go for it!

If your priority is maximizing growth, Ecotech has done some legitimate testing that goes beyond anecdotal evidence that shows their AB+ typically performs really well. A look of people love the look as well, so it's a double whammy.

I haven't seen saxby, but if I personally liked the look of it better than AB+, I would go with it.

No one should specifically tell you which to use because ultimately as long as it is something that the corals are happy with, you are the only one who knows what you want.

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Really there are a wide variety of spectrum and PAR that have been proven successful at growing coral, so there's likely no wrong answer as to which path you choose (within ranges that have been known to work, from T5, MH to LED).

That said, as I understand it the EcoTech Marine AB+ spectrum is a close representation of the spectrum created from using the Blue Plus and Aquablue Special ATI T5 bulbs, which many reefers have used over the years with great results. EcoTech then implemented this with their EcoTech CoralLab experiments, which also found success (see the Spectrum and PAR section of the link provided).

This seems to have led to several other reefers using the same spectrum setting for their tanks, including WWC using a modified AB+ for pretty much all of their display tanks. With that said, when we started the BRStv Investigates episodes that tested a variety of LED fixtures for things like PAR, spread, diffusion, etc. we used the AB+ spectrum as a standard to compare the lights to; which is what stemmed the recreation of the AB+ on the AI Prime in THIS VIDEO. Fast forward to over a year later, we've had several calls for us to recreate the AB+ spectrum on other LED lights like the Hydras and with the new #AskBRStv series we found an opportunity to finally do just that.

So in the end, find a setting that works/looks best for you and your tank and stick with it. As WWC lives by, once it's set don't touch it because stability is a key component to their success, which is something I firmly believe also. :)

EdoVan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I was talking with Luc Vogels, the guy behind Philips' CoralCare. I asked him if it was possible to get close to the AB+ spectrum with their led fixture. He agreed to try to find the good configuration but he need some data's about this specific spectrum of AB+ configuration? Do you have the spectral or colorpoint data? Would be great so that he could calculate the settings (and determine possible differences).

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I was talking with Luc Vogels, the guy behind Philips' CoralCare. I asked him if it was possible to get close to the AB+ spectrum with their led fixture. He agreed to try to find the good configuration but he need some data's about this specific spectrum of AB+ configuration? Do you have the spectral or colorpoint data? Would be great so that he could calculate the settings (and determine possible differences).

The spectrum we measured (on the Radion XR30 Pro) is shown at the timestamp in the video below, which we've used it and the XR15 AB+spectrum to mimic with other LED fixtures. :)

emvanburen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be great to see a comparison of the AB+ spectrum to the Red Sea Reef Spec on the Hydra 26 HD. Looks like the major difference is the red and green additions in AB+.

Marksreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does WWC have a AB+ schedule they use that would work with a Hydra52 Or Has
BRS put a schedual together with their Hydra52 AB+ settings ?

Mindless

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats the hight ower watersuface that the 26HD should be mounted to get ther right par?

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats the hight ower watersuface that the 26HD should be mounted to get ther right par?

That's a tricky question. LED's are very directional, especially without a diffuser. The higher you mount them, the better the light spread and the better the light mixes. You will lose PAR the higher you go. If you are looking for high PAR, the best option would be to mount multiple lights 12" or higher above the tank.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back