AI hydra26 hd fell in tank!

Jonathan lee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well guys, i just received my hydra in the mail today only to have the chain suspending it break and the lights go plop into the tank. I was infront of the tank so the moment it fell in i picked it up in less than 3 seconds tbh. I opened it and dried it up, plugged it in, it had all the right start up colour blinking and stuff but then it statted blinking red which means its dead. So i cried then tried again and the same thing happened only this time there was no red blinking just green which is kinda a good sign i guess in this situation lol. But then i never could get it to connect and a few mins later all the lights went dead. Even the reset button lights went dead(not sure if its supposed to happen cause this is my first time owning a hydra). Well now it wont even startup with the green blinking. Im guessing its dead? Any help please. Anyhing i can do to try to save it? My seller told me he had to pay 90 bucks to fix his prime when it fell into his tank so im guessing mine should be around there as well if not more? Im honestly devastated as i paid 1.6 thousand for it which is around 400usd. And it was only hanging for 10 mins before the chain broke.. oh man im gonna cry ahah

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well guys, i just received my hydra in the mail today only to have the chain suspending it break and the lights go plop into the tank. I was infront of the tank so the moment it fell in i picked it up in less than 3 seconds tbh. I opened it and dried it up, plugged it in, it had all the right start up colour blinking and stuff but then it statted blinking red which means its dead. So i cried then tried again and the same thing happened only this time there was no red blinking just green which is kinda a good sign i guess in this situation lol. But then i never could get it to connect and a few mins later all the lights went dead. Even the reset button lights went dead(not sure if its supposed to happen cause this is my first time owning a hydra). Well now it wont even startup with the green blinking. Im guessing its dead? Any help please. Anyhing i can do to try to save it? My seller told me he had to pay 90 bucks to fix his prime when it fell into his tank so im guessing mine should be around there as well if not more? Im honestly devastated as i paid 1.6 thousand for it which is around 400usd. And it was only hanging for 10 mins before the chain broke.. oh man im gonna cry ahah
The main thing with electronics is when they get wet do not turn them on, even if you think you have it completely dry. Water gets under the little micro chips and in little nooks and crevices that we cannot see. Best bet is to immediately unplug it and let it dry out for 24 hours before even attempting to turn it on. But most likely it's going to need to replace the whole unit or have the circuit boards replaced. Sorry that happened to you :( but good luck! :)

FredsNJReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so sorry, that is a nightmare!
Was it plugged in when this happened? And if so no product is worth our lives, so obviously kill the power strip first before putting your hands in. You're still with us so I am assuming you did that.

Try opening the light with the Torx bit tool and let it dry, lightly blotting it with a cloth. Maybe quick dry with a blow dryer from a foot away.

Good luck, I hope it works!

OP
OP
J

Jonathan lee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main thing with electronics is when they get wet do not turn them on, even if you think you have it completely dry. Water gets under the little micro ships and in little nooks and crevices that we cannot see. Best bet is to immediately unplug it and let it dry out for 24 hours before even attempting to turn it on. But most likely it's going to need to replace the whole unit or have the circuit boards replaced. Sorry that happened to you :( but good luck! :)
Oh snap i thought since i opeend it and wiped it dry then it should be good. Oh well im gonna cry myself to sleep now lol

OP
OP
J

Jonathan lee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so sorry, that is a nightmare!
Was it plugged in when this happened? And if so no product is worth our lives, so obviously kill the power strip first before putting your hands in. You're still with us so I am assuming you did that.

Try opening the light with the Torx bit tool and let it dry, lightly blotting it with a cloth. Maybe quick dry with a blow dryer from a foot away.

Good luck, I hope it works!
I did open it up and wiped it dry with kitchen towels and let it sit infront of a fan to let it dry even more but yea guess it didnt work out. Man oh man what luck i have ahaha

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh snap i thought since i opeend it and wiped it dry then it should be good. Oh well im gonna cry myself to sleep now lol
Let it dry out for 24 hours and try again..Never know :)

OP
OP
J

Jonathan lee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let it dry out for 24 hours and try again..Never know :)
I plugged it in the first time after wiping it dry and heard a sizzling sound so i immediately turned it off and let it dry and tried again and the sound was gone so i thought i was good from then on but nah i think i fried it. Still find it weird that it still tried to connect to the wifi even tho it was “fried” lolol

corey01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
put it in a gallon bag filled with dry rice. or dessicant.
leave it there overnight, it can be helpful. brought quite a few cell phones back like that.
Edit: yeah sizzling pretty much means your done.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plugged it in the first time after wiping it dry and heard a sizzling sound so i immediately turned it off and let it dry and tried again and the sound was gone so i thought i was good from then on but nah i think i fried it. Still find it weird that it still tried to connect to the wifi even tho it was “fried” lolol

leave it there overnight, it can be helpful. brought quite a few cell phones back like that.
Yeah sizzling is pretty much a done deal :(

OP
OP
J

Jonathan lee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just yeaterday i was reading a thread about how sensitive hydras are to water. And today it happened to me. Could i have jinxed myself haha. Im blowing it dry with a hair dryer now. Will test again tomorrow and update. My friend told me that i may have to send it to singapore to fix. He had to send his there. They fix radions there in under 20 minutes. Apparently the guys at the shop are pros lol. But i dint see myself sending my light to singapore ahah

OP
OP
J

Jonathan lee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I have no clue.
Its alright. I made a dumb mistake and used hobby chains to hang the hydra. Didnt know they would snap cause they cost me 55 bucks for 3 meters of it.. i may need to find a better way of suspending the hydra after its fixed. Cant have this happening again

OP
OP
J

Jonathan lee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hold up i have to ask, when i heard the sizzling it wasnt coming from the light itself but it was coming from the hole where i plug the wire into the light only. Does this mean there was still water residue inside the place where i plug it in or does it mean the whole board is dead? Cause the lights were still blinking green when i dried out the hole where i put in the plug. Im trying to look on the bright side of things HAHAHA

CWR24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how much do you think it would cost to fix?

Sorry to hear of your problem brother. :(

Not sure where you are located, but shipping charges back and forth to Singapore might be just as expensive as getting the light repaired.

Try the rice trick as the other member stated above......you have nothing to lose......and it has worked for other people in different situations.

Good luck!!

OP
OP
J

Jonathan lee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear of your problem brother. :(

Not sure where you are located, but shipping charges back and forth to Singapore might be just as expensive as getting the light repaired.

Try the rice trick as the other member stated above......you have nothing to lose......and it has worked for other people in different situations.

Good luck!!
I actually live in malaysia so im right beside singapore HAHA but i dont want to ship it there then have to pay fir the fix then pay for the shipping again to get it back to me lol

CWR24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually live in malaysia so im right beside singapore HAHA but i dont want to ship it there then have to pay fir the fix then pay for the shipping again to get it back to me lol

I hear ya......but I didn't know you were that close so that's your best option unless you want to cough up another $400 and go new again with piece of mind vs a product that went for a swim and was fixed.

Not being a wise *** but make sure you get a more beefed up hanging kit.

OP
OP
J

Jonathan lee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear ya......but I didn't know you were that close so that's your best option unless you want to cough up another $400 and go new again with piece of mind vs a product that went for a swim and was fixed.

Not being a wise *** but make sure you get a more beefed up hanging kit.
Haha for sure im getting a better hanging kit. Gonna buy 1/2 inch thick steel cable now

corey01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds like the power input itself may have shorted out. if thats the case there may be hope yet. as you could how have a faulty power brick causing you issues instead of the unit.
or another option is the DC jack itself if sizzling from a short could have even just damaged the power jack. is there any discoloration around the power input? many EC have built in surge or short protection (to a degree)
do you have a multimeter. you can see if your power brick is still outputting power. or a second light you could try the power off of that?

OP
OP
J

Jonathan lee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds like the power input itself may have shorted out. if thats the case there may be hope yet. as you could how have a faulty power brick causing you issues instead of the unit.
or another option is the DC jack itself if sizzling from a short could have even just damaged the power jack. is there any discoloration around the power input? many EC have built in surge or short protection (to a degree)
do you have a multimeter. you can see if your power brick is still outputting power. or a second light you could try the power off of that?
Will have to try again tomorrow as its 1am here now and im in bed watching YouTube sobbing myself to sleep LOL. And nah i dont have a second light as it cost 400usd here and i dont have that kind of money. I saved up for a good time to get these hydras only to have them fall in the tank 10 mins after hanging. The light wasnt even plugged in yet before the chain broke LOL. I literally just hung the fixture then it snapped. I used a hair dryer to dry it for about 5 mins after wiping it dry. Dont want to test it again tho as i saw in previous replies that i should let it sit for a day before trying. Gonna wait till i get home from work tomorrow before i give it another try. If it doesnt work them im gonna have to send it to my local lfs and see if they can fix it for me since they are kinda like the distributor or something . Thanks

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back