AI Nero 3 clicking

iceman14555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received my Nero 3 that I ordered new from BRS, 2 days ago. From the second I turned it on, there is a noticable clicking/ticking coming from it. I thought maybe the impeller might be hitting a piece of plastic flash or something from manufacturing. I let it go for one night to see if it would break in and stop clicking; it did not. I then took the pump apart and cleaned it, and inspected the impeller. Everything seems fine, but there is a noticable bump when manually spinning the impeller around. However, I do not see it hitting anything on the guard.

Is there something I'm missing, or should I start a warranty exchange?

The manufacturing date on the box is 10/21. My Nero 5 is buttery smooth and silent, I can't imagine the Nero 3 being much different.

reefstarterpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did AI send you a replacement that doesn’t make that sound? My manufacture date on mine is 10/15 and is making this sound as well. Not too noticeable at 25% but anything higher and it’s much louder than my return pump. I just want a good replacement. I really like the controls on this Powerhead as it it’s the same app as my lighting.

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm having the same issue with the nero 5 I just purchased. I contacted AI. They will advise you to use a q tip to clean around the 4 holes in the impeller shaft... after that a 50/50 vinegar / rodi soak for 1 hour. After that they will advise you to run it in constant mode for up to a week. I did all that, it didn't work. They sent me a replacement motor in the mail last week for a $1 charge. It is louder than the first. I also contacted BRS and they're willing to take the pump and test it out. If they can reproduce the issue, they will send a new one. I live down the road from BRS so it wouldn't even be a huge inconvenience for me but still, I have not done it. Think I'm just gonna say screw it and live with the ticking Nero. (I have another Nero i purchased last year and it's dead silent.) Frustrating to say the least

reefstarterpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just put in a RMA to ship it back to AI to see if they can either repair or replace it. I’ve tried soaking it in vinegar and rodi water for over 3 hours with no change. I see what looks like black pieces of plastic on one of the blades. I could assume this is enough to throw off the balance and cause the clicking sound.

Attachments

• D141A895-8DA8-4EB6-B121-9A0C0476DF44.jpeg
    D141A895-8DA8-4EB6-B121-9A0C0476DF44.jpeg
    147.8 KB · Views: 34
OP
OP
iceman14555

iceman14555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did AI send you a replacement that doesn’t make that sound? My manufacture date on mine is 10/15 and is making this sound as well. Not too noticeable at 25% but anything higher and it’s much louder than my return pump. I just want a good replacement. I really like the controls on this Powerhead as it it’s the same app as my lighting.

I'm having the same issue with the nero 5 I just purchased. I contacted AI. They will advise you to use a q tip to clean around the 4 holes in the impeller shaft... after that a 50/50 vinegar / rodi soak for 1 hour. After that they will advise you to run it in constant mode for up to a week. I did all that, it didn't work. They sent me a replacement motor in the mail last week for a $1 charge. It is louder than the first. I also contacted BRS and they're willing to take the pump and test it out. If they can reproduce the issue, they will send a new one. I live down the road from BRS so it wouldn't even be a huge inconvenience for me but still, I have not done it. Think I'm just gonna say screw it and live with the ticking Nero. (I have another Nero i purchased last year and it's dead silent.) Frustrating to say the least
Sorry for the late reply folks, I have been on business in Japan for the past month. I did get a quick replacement from AI. The new one did click as well when I first got it, but not a bad, and after about 3 days of running it stopped all together.

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just thought I'd update this post. I havet paid much attention lately but I just checked today (ear up against the glass test) and the nero 5 i was having issues with is now dead silent. It took probably a couple months to break in properly. Yay for AI !

Galeas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine did this when I first bought it. I was ticked, started the exchange process through AI, they told me to run it for 2 weeks. It worked. 2 weeks later, silent and smooth.

I was very irritated with their response and that something that cost twice as much as my Sicce needing a break in period, but I’ll give it to em, it worked.

OP
OP
iceman14555

iceman14555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just thought I'd update this post. I havet paid much attention lately but I just checked today (ear up against the glass test) and the nero 5 i was having issues with is now dead silent. It took probably a couple months to break in properly. Yay for AI !
Klyle,

I've also had an issue with my Nero 5 in the past, where after cleaning it, and assembling it back together, it will click really bad. I've found that if air bubbles get trapped under the prop when putting it back in the tank, it'll do the clicking. As soon as I get the bubbles to work out of the holes, dead silence. Something to keep in mind.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 71 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back