jacolandoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are the ai prime 16 hd’s? I’m considering getting two for my 65 g jbj aio. I heard they have some issues with longevity. Can these issues be avoided? Are these easy fixes with cheap replacement parts online or do these things just have a short life span?

Any advice is appreciated, thank you!

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are the ai prime 16 hd’s? I’m considering getting two for my 65 g jbj aio. I heard they have some issues with longevity. Can these issues be avoided? Are these easy fixes with cheap replacement parts online or do these things just have a short life span?

They are good lights, however I'd have a look at Kessils A160 in stead. It is not app controlled, much more simple to use and gives (in my opinion!) a much, much more pleasing light.

That will avoid all the "issues" that you have heard about the Primes. I have used Primes before on several different tanks and I have one running now. I have not had any significant issues and it's well over four years old now though.

OP
OP
J

jacolandoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are good lights, however I'd have a look at Kessils A160 in stead. It is not app controlled, much more simple to use and gives (in my opinion!) a much, much more pleasing light.

That will avoid all the "issues" that you have heard about the Primes. I have used Primes before on several different tanks and I have one running now. I have not had any significant issues and it's well over four years old now though.
Thank you for the response! How many Kessil A160’s do you think I’d need for the 65 gallon?

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the response! How many Kessil A160’s do you think I’d need for the 65 gallon?
That depends on the layout of your 65 gallons ;) You can't quantify your lights based on a volume but rather an area.

Here's what google says about coverage:

The Kessil® A160WE Tuna Blue LED for saltwater aquariums is a powerful and penetrating light source with wide coverage (24" to 30" / 60-75 cm for most reefs).

What are your dimensions?

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquarium display area (not including filtration) is 36” l x 15” w x 20” h

Thank you for your help!
You're were welcome! 2 light would do you good! Remember that there's plenty good lights out there and that it's like religion for some. I believe in Kessils over Primes.

OP
OP
J

jacolandoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're were welcome! 2 light would do you good! Remember that there's plenty good lights out there and that it's like religion for some. I believe in Kessils over Primes.
And are there replacement parts available online if any parts to it break over time? Or are they just so reliable that it’s not much of a concern. Is there anything I should know to avoid issues down the road?

OP
OP
J

jacolandoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that the ai prime has replacement fans, fuses, lenses etc available online in case any of these parts break

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that the ai prime has replacement fans, fuses, lenses etc available online in case any of these parts break
I have never checked because I have never had the need! :) I reckon you can have what you need through your local distributor.

Had one 160 tuna flora (refugium) that broke after two years, Kessil send me a new light from Germany.

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the Ai Primes you can set each individual spectral components to suit your needs and preferences, and there are downloadable signature settings that you can choose. People run lots of different settings with these lights. Tinkering and researching is a bit of a mission, but IMHO worth it. I have 2 primes on my 30 gallon 36" mixed reef running at under 70%

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running 2x AI Prime 16 HD LEDs on a 40 gallon tank for just under 2 years.
Never had any issue (hardware or app) whatsoever in that time but only run them at 55% of their max intensity.
(((mentioned intensity since some of the complaints I've heard relate to melting lenses or fan issues which might just be less likely for me since I never max them out)))

jerricolaboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ai primes are fine as long as you don’t over run the intensity. I run mine at 50% max and they seem to last forever. If you feel you’ll need to run more than 75% intensity you probably need another light fixture. But I feel like that should be rule of thumb for any light.

Hats_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been running primes for about 4 years now, I love them to bits, the overheating/lens melting issue is usually due to people not cleaning the dust filter on top. I run mine at higher intensities without issue and have never had problems with controlling them (other than a Nero that was intermittent and changing the date for some reason, which also affected my lights) I run the regular HD variant since I wanted Wi-Fi control to be able to intervene wherever I am. Currently have 5 and would recommend them to anyone!

AustinBabler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m running 2 16hd’s on a 40 breeder. I run the BRS AB+ preset with a little less white channel because it’s mainly LPS corals. Wilsoni, micromussa, and Favia. I’ve since bumped it up to UV, V channels around 75%. Just did the two finger and drug up to increase them all at the same time. White doesn’t have that step anymore. It’s 19% from start to finish. I’ve burned my lenses before back when I had them on a reefer 250. Since I’ve dinked with the spectrum I’m always worried I’m not providing the right kind of light. And I’ve been thinking about adding either a 3rd light right in the middle so I can back the intensity down a little since I’ve burned lenses before…..or I’ll throw a T5 on the tank and dump the primes. Lighting always stresses me out. It’s my least favorite part of the hobby. IMG_0395.png

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own 6 HD and 2 Sol ….
generally pleased BUT

Like @EricR said
lense melting issues on 2, power brick dead on another…
so 3 outta 8 went bad in 2 yrs…
whereas all 4 of my Kessils were going strong until I replaced them….Kessils were 10yrs plus

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have had 4 on my 75 gallons for 2 years. I was aware of the melting problem early on so I made sure UV and Violet setting were never above 85%.

In any case, if leds burn you can get some new ones from AI at a very low cost. I think it’s below 10$ a puck. So if you’re in the States, cost will be very low.

So if you like those lights I wouldn’t be afraid to buy them.

OP
OP
J

jacolandoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which one would you say is more resistant to accidental splashes? (Which would be more water resistant?) the Ai prime or the Kessil? Or are both about even?

Hats_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to say, i try not to get the primes wet (hot tip btw) haven't had a prime die thanks to water damage yet... But I don't think either of them have a IP certificate

Captain_Pugwash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Run 3 over a 36"x 20". Great lights but had one power supply fail causing one channel to flicker causing the lens to burn. Simple and cheap to replace the lens. Decided to replace all 3 power supplies with 1 MeanWell power supply (saves on plugs and cable mess). Had a couple of nano tanks so had 2 lights already. If I was starting again wouldn't use them, there are better options available.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My prime has a lens that melted and cooled and now has two drips under the center diodes. I figured I can live with it. Few months later the fan starts buzzing and is incredibly annoying. I can replace the lens. I can replace the fan. But I shouldn’t have to. No channel was ever run over 80%

I think it’s a decent light when it works but in my experience it’s not reliable long term. I’m replacing the light for that tank, and not with a prime

I have reef breeders leds that have lasted 6 years with no issues, I only replaced them because I wanted the newer model

By the way, that reminds me, check out the reefbreeders photon 32. Instead of a puck style light this is an matrix, and would have less shadowing. I own a photon 32, photon 48, and photon 48 v2. It’s an excellent light fixture

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back