AI Prime 16, the greatest light in the history of meltable lights

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we know the best light ever, the ai prime 16, is designed to meet the demands of the modern reefer, such as top of the line melting abilities not found in all of their competition. Previous AI primes, such as the HD, could only melt holes in it's own lense, but the ai prime 16 pushes boundaries like we have never seen before. Check out this sweet light! Not to mention the constancy across them. I've used 5 of these lights and all of them melted. This is by far the best performer! Once again I can't state just how much I love these fantastic pieces of technology

20220530_185932.jpg 20220530_185945.jpg 20220530_185935.jpg
Yeah what percentage were you pushing i have 3x 16hd's with no issue , this usually comes from people buying the cheapest light they can then overdriving the light to get the most light they can out of this tiny thin light, its not a 500$ light for a reason, should it melt no, but after you saw the first and second one melt, when does it become insanity? Guaranteed these lights that are melting are over pushed and maxed out.

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
should've got the anti-melt edition
I'm sure Neptune will be along shortly with a multi-hundred dollar probe that detects the melting plastic.

PS, all three of my AI primes had melted lenses as well and they're less than a year old.
AI primes will do that if you overdrive the UV diode. Always happens when you start pushing the UV past 90%.
Then, IMO, they shouldn't go that high. It seems like an odd choice for them to allow people to turn them up high enough to self destruct.
Maybe they need better cooling system. The fans they use sound like jet engines and clearly aren't working very well.

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but after you saw the first and second one melt, when does it become insanity?
Maybe they all melted at once. If they're running the same schedule, that could be the case.
I had three melt. I just happened to notice something wrong with one of them and then I checked the other two. All melted in identical patterns.

bstodds15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have an original Prime that never melted and still runs with no issue. I have it on a GSP only tank so doesn’t need to be super high but have the violet/blue/Royal up at 90%.

I just set the new one up and I’m going to keep everything below 80 and see if it overheats. Curious to use it as a Guinea Pig

Theulli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AI primes will do that if you overdrive the UV diode. Always happens when you start pushing the UV past 90%.

Ah, this explains it. I have three of them and clean the fans regularly, with nothing set over 100%, and I've never even seen them get hot much less melt

Maybe this is the cost of the BRS video recommending you wildly overdrive several of the light settings on this device.

OP
OP
Spare time

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah what percentage were you pushing i have 3x 16hd's with no issue , this usually comes from people buying the cheapest light they can then overdriving the light to get the most light they can out of this tiny thin light, its not a 500$ light for a reason, should it melt no, but after you saw the first and second one melt, when does it become insanity? Guaranteed these lights that are melting are over pushed and maxed out.

No other major brand had their light melt from being run at 100% for 7 hours a day. Even cheap cruddy lights don't do this. Its amazing how AI can't seem to figure this out.

OP
OP
Spare time

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

These also aren't my lights/ I just take care of the tank.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AI addressed this and the newer units have different lens. I have 8 units with no issue.
5 of them run UV-V at 140% and RB-B at 125%.
I also have extra lens if I need them. I have only replaced one as I purchased it used and it was an older unit.

The replacement lens are all of $4.

Trickman2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Umm, no the light should be able to handle whatever they set the limits to. If they can’t prevent heat issues then AI needs to upgrade heat sinks or even turn down max settings.

Trickman2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AI addressed this and the newer units have different lens. I have 8 units with no issue.
5 of them run UV-V at 140% and RB-B at 125%.
I also have extra lens if I need them. I have only replaced one as I purchased it used and it was an older unit.

The replacement lens are all of $4.
Well I guess that is good to hear but I am moving on to Redsea ReefLed 50s for my kids 25 gallons
image.jpg
image.jpg

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be so easy for AI to restrict the power to a level that will not melt itself, but I'm sure they use the max power capabilities as a selling point instead. A bit shameful.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be so easy for AI to restrict the power to a level that will not melt itself, but I'm sure they use the max power capabilities as a selling point instead. A bit shameful.
Not really as the problem has been fixed.
Getting water splashed on them will cause a similar melting looking issue.
Even with the fan these light run hot to the touch. I made the mistake of setting one on my leg and fired it up. It instantly burned a 16 hole pattern in my pants. Glad I had them on, lol.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really as the problem has been fixed.
Getting water splashed on them will cause a similar melting looking issue.
Even with the fan these light run hot to the touch. I made the mistake of setting one on my leg and fired it up. It instantly burned a 16 hole pattern in my pants. Glad I had them on, lol.
I'll one up you. I set it on the arm of a leather couch and walked away while it was initializing. I had no idea it would turn on at 100% after initializing. Burned a hole in my couch...

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll one up you. I set it on the arm of a leather couch and walked away while it was initializing. I had no idea it would turn on at 100% after initializing. Burned a hole in my couch...
Same way it burned the coffee table. They should start putting warnings lol.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A warning at the very least, but I don't think it should default to on at 100% after a random length of initialization time for the app.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back