AI Prime 16HD Initial Impressions

Puff Daddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an initial impression review. I have a full review on my YouTube channel, Puff Daddy Reef. I took some initial PAR readings and sound tests with a decibel meter.

Pros:
-Proven spectrum enhanced with 3 more LEDs
-Powerful! PAR output directly under light is on par (lol) with the Kessil A360X. Some caveats though, see my YouTube review for numbers and full details.
-Moonlight in a unique yellow color (this a con if you don't like yellow moon lights)
-Minimal light separation but still more than Kessil. Color separation shows up more on camera than with your eyes.
-Built in Bluetooth works flawlessly for adjusting settings.
-Light has the same great looks.
-Removable dust screen so you can clean off the ugly dust buildup on the old versions. Also enables you to clean the fan.
-Price, this light will grow coral and has plenty of power. All for only $210 + mounting hardware.

Cons:
-No more wifi which means you can only configure settings from the phone. No more offsite or desktop control of your lights.
-User interface on the phone app could be improved, especially in the manual demo mode.
-The fan is pretty loud at 100% output. I measured the decibel output of it on my YouTube review
-Zero mounting hardware included, not even a screw. Don't forget to buy a mounting kit!

Summary: Better LED cluster with improved but not perfect blending. Plenty of power and stylish looks. Wifi replaced with Bluetooth. Still a little loud at 100% but for most small nano tanks you probably won't need to run it that hot. Very good light for the price.

Happy Reefing, Puff Daddy Reef.

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got mine set up. I upgraded from the HD’s and even though I don’t think it was nessary the lights have a better blending and I get way less shadows so the new lens works better. Brighter than the HD’s for sure. I am happy so far(it’s only been a week)

AC743C1C-6826-4E5E-9D0D-9849572B507E.jpeg

OP
OP
Puff Daddy

Puff Daddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I love your tank. Looks like an alien planet. The nice thing about these is you can really get whatever color out of them that you want.

I just got mine set up. I upgraded from the HD’s and even though I don’t think it was nessary the lights have a better blending and I get way less shadows so the new lens works better. Brighter than the HD’s for sure. I am happy so far(it’s only been a week)

AC743C1C-6826-4E5E-9D0D-9849572B507E.jpeg

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I love your tank. Looks like an alien planet. The nice thing about these is you can really get whatever color out of them that you want.
Thanks man that means a lot. For the money you can not beat these lights. I know a lot of people say they are only good for displaying corals at shows and you cant grow SPS but I disagree big time. I only have a RSR 250 and 3 primes are perfect and they look very low profile and I am liking the recessed lenses. they did good! lights don't have to be super expensive to work well

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great review! But no more WiFi?
Does it not utilize the AI app like the old lights? AI website says it does
Yes, that is a bummer that the new AI 16hd do not have wifi. Word is that AI is working to have wifi for the new AI 16hd in the "future." The AI app only works thru bluetooth. Not really much of an issue for me, but the new lights offer less flexibility.

Triple.T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too have this light and watched your review on it. I love the light so far, tuning took a couple days to get just right but during my photo period my 2 corals ( bought same time as light ) come out fully.
20191216_193813.jpg
20191222_133109.jpg

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Straight arm kit and its extremely sleek if you ask me. I thought the flex arm looked funny.

Totally agree. Like I said, if I had my choice, i would have gone with the straight arm kit. I may end up going ahead and purchasing it, but i'm concentrating on corals and fish now.

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had nothing but problems with my new 16reef lights I wish I would have kept my old hds at this point

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that. I'm really liking mine. What problems ru having?
Can’t seem to get my t5 Lights to work with them when the t5s turn on they start flickering weird . I have tried everything with no luck . I also have both ai prime reef paired together and one seems to always have a different colour when ramping down . I really love the lights and the light spread.

jazzfisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the flex arms, I’m okay with them. What I would appreciate is more info on using the (new) app. The info on the AI site only refers to the Wi-Fi app. I get how to use some else’s preset but have no idea where to begin to create my own/ or how to adjust. Some buttons do absolutely nothing when you touch them ie: schedule or feed..
Anyone know where there is any info/ directions on usage?

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the flex arms, I’m okay with them. What I would appreciate is more info on using the (new) app. The info on the AI site only refers to the Wi-Fi app. I get how to use some else’s preset but have no idea where to begin to create my own/ or how to adjust. Some buttons do absolutely nothing when you touch them ie: schedule or feed..
Anyone know where there is any info/ directions on usage?

I get where you are coming from and agree. Probably the best way to set up a schedule is to hit the "easy setup" tab on the app. Once you get there, you can schedule what time you would like your lights to come on and off, plus how much ramp up/down time you would like. And enter the itensity you would like your lights at during those hours. I am probably not getting near as much out of these lights as they offer because there is such a lack of information on how to use them.

Last edited:

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t seem to get my t5 Lights to work with them when the t5s turn on they start flickering weird . I have tried everything with no luck . I also have both ai prime reef paired together and one seems to always have a different colour when ramping down . I really love the lights and the light spread.

Sorry, i can't help you out with that. Pairing the ai prime with t5s is something i haven]t dealt with. Hopefully, someone will chime in that has.

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

The T5s flicker or the primes? May be getting interference. Try plugging into a different outlet or better yet, to test, plug in extension cord into another outlet in another room (different circuit) and see if it eliminates flicker. Basically, put T5s on one circuit and primes on another.

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The T5s flicker or the primes? May be getting interference. Try plugging into a different outlet or better yet, to test, plug in extension cord into another outlet in another room (different circuit) and see if it eliminates flicker. Basically, put T5s on one circuit and primes on another.
The ai reef flicker from the t5 lights I have tried everything with them moving ballast / running a cord to a different outlet and everything

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back