AI prime 16hd vs ai prime 16 fuge

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my prime hd is dying (less than 2 years old) and it is my refugium light. I do practically no water changes and run no skimmer so having my light die is not good.

Anyways, I was debating between the prime 16hd or the fuge one. Basically the difference is one has more blue and one has more red. I am torn between them because the regular prime style is nice in that it lights up the area under my sump. However, if the growth is significantly better under the fuge I would get that. I was hoping someone might have experience with both on macro algae.

One thing that I don't understand is why the refugium light has such high amounts of red given that chlorophyll is more excited by violets/blues and that the red peak is rather narrow for chlorophyll A (I use A as a reference as it is in all macroalgaes).

PS I am not considering one of those cheap lights on amazon. I want something I can control and that is built to last (that isn't a fire hazard either).

PS

Last edited:

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So my prime hd is dying (less than 2 years old) and it is my refugium light. I do practically no water changes and run no skimmer so having my light die is not good.

Anyways, I was debating between the prime 16hd or the fuge one. Basically the difference is one has more blue and one has more red. I am torn between them because the regular prime style is nice in that it lights up the area under my sump. However, if the growth is significantly better under the fuge I would get that. I was hoping someone might have experience with both on macro algae.

One thing that I don't understand is why the refugium light has such high amounts of red given that chlorophyll is more excited by violets/blues and that the red peak is rather narrow for chlorophyll A (I use A as a reference as it is in all macroalgaes).

PS I am not considering one of those cheap lights on amazon. I want something I can control and that is built to last (that isn't a fire hazard either).

PS
We sell the AI FUGE and it is personally what I use. With the FUGE light it has the same controllability with the app so you can use whichever spectrum you like. ~Shaun K.

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

PS
Good to hear someone had success with the regular Prime 16. I’m in the situation in a tank upgrade where I’ll have an extra Prime to repurpose. What did you decide and have you noticed any difference? I think people get caught up on “the best” fuge light which is in part marketing. I’ve grown plants under all kinds of lights and people have used CFL’s and similar for years. Don’t see the need to spend a million dollars on a light to grow some algae.

Also, what settings were you running? I found one thread where the consensus was just make everything equal at the intensity needed.

Back