AIO or tank with sump

PeterC2904

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
May 27, 2023
Messages
43
Reaction score
13
Location
weymouth
What state or country do you live in
Massachusetts
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this February I plan on buying a new 50 gallon tank. I am kinda on a budget so I don’t want to go too crazy if I don’t need to. I was wondering if buying an all in one tank with the filtration on the side would work the same as buying a tank with a sump. Also what would you recommend on stocking capacity for each option.
 
A year ago I bought my first tank, RedSea Max E-260 AIO. I am happy with my purchase, especially as the complete, AIO package was easier to digest in the beginning. I don't think I would buy an AIO again, and may convert my existing AIO to use a sump if I don't upgrade it to a new tank a year from now.

Regarding stocking, not much difference save the sump might give you better filtration (and thus slightly larger population) in the long run. For 50 gallon, I like clownfish, firefish, blenny, small wrasse, royal gramma, maybe a dwarf angel, mandarin goby, peaceful damsels like a springer, plus tons of other options others may suggest.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 3 5.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 4 6.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 23.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 14 23.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 13.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 5 8.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new