AIO Reef Tanks: Which one gets your vote?

Have you ever owned an AIO Reef Tank?

• Yes I am running one now

Votes: 452 50.6%
  • YES in the past

Votes: 136 15.2%
  • NO

Votes: 188 21.1%
  • No but want to in the future

Votes: 109 12.2%
  • Other

Votes: 8 0.9%

• Total voters

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running a Red Sea C-130 for 4 years. My only complaint, not enough room in the sump. I have been tastefully hanging things on the outside of the stand.

DSEKULA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just started my aio pico. I built it, it probably doesn't look like an aio but the rock is homemade/fake and hollow 2" ID the air pump inside is used for recirculation, there is media in the center, a sponge filter and I could potentially place a small bag of carbon or other chemical filtration. It's 1.75 true gallons.

IMG_20200802_114421.jpg

damselindistress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first tank was the Evo 13, after about ten months I moved up to a 60 gallon AIO because it was the biggest tank I could find with no sump lol. I'm going on 3 years in reefing and am still intimidated by the idea of plumbing a tank.

I think most new reefers are drawn to the idea of an aio because they are generally plug and play and you don't have to make a lot of decisions about equipment. But, like myself, when you start gaining knowledge you quickly realize there are better equipment options out there and you are limited to what your chambers will accommodate.

My tank is not running with any of the equipment that came with it - I started making upgrades right out of the box and have gone through many trial runs that didn't work out. At the moment I am finally happy with all of my upgrades but will admit I am still always on the lookout for equipment configurations that will further improve my tank.

20200725_135135.jpg

1Clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd get a custom AIO made, I would want around 15cm depth for resr chamber and at least 50cm depth for the display. I hate AIO with tiny display depths and small rear chambers.

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Nuvo 40 AIO and I cannot wait to finally get rid of it. I have a Red Sea 170 waiting for a G5 XR15...

Change a filter pad.. AIO kicks on

Move the slightest thing inside the display.. ATO kicks on.

**** gets stuck in the back chambers... in the corners. I hate it. Pain in the absolute butt to clean the rear chambers

Turn on feed mode on both pumps.. ATO kicks on

Move the skimmer the lightest bit... ATO kicks on

Work inside the tank.. ATO sometimes kicks on

I hate this stupid tank and this stupid AIO. I cannot wait til finally get my light so I can transition everything to the red sea and have an actual sump to work with.

FinnyGyrrl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first tank was/is a Clear for Life Uniquarium, I think about 55g, purchased used!
I actually am embarrassed to admit, I love it so much...
Acrylic, with beautiful beveled front edges, so it's very light. The custom cabinet is very spacious and neatly stores about 80% of my fish schtuff.
The acrylic itself seems like a very nice grade, and for it's mileage doesn't show scratches as much as other acrylics we've seen. The back is a delicious 36 X 5 inches of great compartments... which could hold all kinds of gadgets... but it's been such a clean tank, I never got any. Just layers of Petco filter pads. I keep an edible caulerpa for the veggivores in the display, which probably helps!
Somewhere in it's life, someone built The Sweetest custom canopy for it, with rounded front edges. A dual T5 in the canopy provides enough light for lps and anemones.

I really like the dimensions of the tank, also! It gives the appearance of a much larger tank, because of the canopy and balanced aesthetic. I have often thought the the Clear for Life company makes some "Good looking" tanks! The height allows for coral growth and very fun rock building!
However, because the back compartment width is very generous for an aio, the display area can feel "narrow", and takes some effort to convey a sense of depth in the rock work! The rocks have to be more carefully chosen for character, stability and coral mounting areas. Less is more!

Have had it in constant service for 6+ years and it was probably "very old" when we purchased it. So, I think that speaks for how well and thoughtfully it was made!
The fact that it "doesn't leak" makes it a candidate for areas in which I wouldn't try to take a tank/sump combination

So, my experience has been, a generous AIO opens wide possibilities, where sump driven tanks dare not tread!! Clear for Life made a great tank.

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started Reefing in 99. Have had a whole bunch of tanks big and small. Currently have two Nuvo40s and a Nuvo10.

The idea that a sump is an 'upgrade' is silly at this point - its a ton of extra risk and maintenance, for - IMO, very little gain. Equipment is so much better nowadays that all the extra sump space just isn't needed - people are turning off skimmers/getting rid of phosban/etc because nutrients are too low. (And I'm hitting that issue in the SPS heavy Nuvo40).

I think a lot of people run sumps not because they need the space - but because they like equipment.(And there's nothing wrong with that)

My one issue is that the return chamber of the NUVO40 is terribly shaped - I assume its to add additional water volume to keep the pump from running dry - but it just ends up being a maintenance issue. I wish they'd just assume people were using an ATO and make the other compartments go to the bottom.

SofishticatedREEFER

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I chose to do a AIO due to space constraints I chose a waterbox 50.3 i had to have my controller ato and the rest of my fish stuff contained to within the stand but as far as equipment goes I run the same equipment that I would normal have put into a sumped system with the exception of my protein skimmer I was limited to only a few that were appropriate for my stock list and goals

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started Reefing in 99. Have had a whole bunch of tanks big and small. Currently have two Nuvo40s and a Nuvo10.

The idea that a sump is an 'upgrade' is silly at this point - its a ton of extra risk and maintenance, for - IMO, very little gain. Equipment is so much better nowadays that all the extra sump space just isn't needed - people are turning off skimmers/getting rid of phosban/etc because nutrients are too low. (And I'm hitting that issue in the SPS heavy Nuvo40).

I think a lot of people run sumps not because they need the space - but because they like equipment.(And there's nothing wrong with that)

My one issue is that the return chamber of the NUVO40 is terribly shaped - I assume its to add additional water volume to keep the pump from running dry - but it just ends up being a maintenance issue. I wish they'd just assume people were using an ATO and make the other compartments go to the bottom.
I wouldn’t totally disagree with any of that. Just adding sumps add water volume/stability esp for smaller tanks. And really AIO’s are really a matter of geometry: the sump is somewhere, just not below.
And I agree that the skimmers are going offline anymore, but thing is you can’t always totally get rid of it; more like off/on off/on et

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t totally disagree with any of that. Just adding sumps add water volume/stability esp for smaller tanks. And really AIO’s are really a matter of geometry: the sump is somewhere, just not below.
And I agree that the skimmers are going offline anymore, but thing is you can’t always totally get rid of it; more like off/on off/on et

One of the advantages of a sump is you can run a bigger skimmer - but what I'm finding is that because pumps (and thus circulation) are so much better now , my tanks are much cleaner in general, and I don't need to run a huge skimmer anymore.

When I was running my 58 back in 2005 , I had an 8" bodied recirculating needlewheel skimmer running on it. In the Nuvo 40 I'm running a crappy IM skimmer that probably moves 5% of the air of the old one - but my nutrient levels are much lower.

Cheap, readily available stream pumps have made a lot of equipment unnecessary.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always had an aio. My first one was a jbj 24 gallon nano cube. My current aio is a Jbj 45. It’s fantastic if you have a smaller area but if you have room, I prefer a sump. Where my Jbj is, I don’t have room for an equipment cabinet next to the tank so it’s an aio. That being said, I still love the tank even though the chambers can be a pain to clean.

EF5C63D6-ECC7-481F-871A-8ACF9157F477.jpeg CFB4405B-7BAA-425B-9E88-5DB6E4CE527B.jpeg 098C3A39-93BC-4C67-ABB3-1E6CECDA2401.jpeg

Nhjmc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently running an RSM 130D. Other than the stock skimmer being LOUD as heck (but skims like a champ) it's a pretty good all around "AIO" set up. I have done every upgrade to this tank out there most recently upgraded from the stock T5 lighting to one AI Hydra 26 HD and LOVE IT I really can't talk AI lights up enough they are well worth the price. I did have to go back to the stock skimmer the Tunze 9001 and in tank media basket didn't go so well for me, i.e. couldn't get the skimmer to skim properly after a month, I just don't like the 9001 skimmer, water level wayyy too sensitive (and yes I do have an ato) just feel it sits too low in water and collection cup fills up with water way too fast. Although can say it's nearly silent. I wanted it too work out trust me I spend $117 on skimmer and $50 on intank media basket that are now both sitting in my tank supplies/storage cabinet.

omar jawad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve recently ordered a Fluval M60 for my office. I chose it because the white cabinet with dark wood doors match my office furniture very well. I’ll be starting a build thread once it arrives.

JReef85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. If you were buying an AIO reef tank today which brand would you choose and why?

My first saltwater tank was a 28 gallon JBJ AIO. If I were to buy one today I would get the IM dropoff tank. I love the dropoff look and can't afford a large custom built one. I've been going back and forth for a while on getting a AIO Dropoff.

2. What do you like and dislike most about "all in one" reef tanks?

I like how its easy to setup and get running. With the IM dropoff I could place it right on table and its ready to go.

-XENOMORPH-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So. What AIO had the most room in back? Biggest chambers please? Less than 100 gallons more than 35. Multiple Opinions plz? Thnx

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends. Larger tanks have larger chambers in the back. 35 gallon aio is completely different than a 100 gallon aio. I wouldn’t get an aio larger than 45 gallons. For 45 gallons and under, I recommend Jbj and innovative marine. If you want a nicer tank, reef savvy. If you want a larger tank with a sump, SCA, Waterbox, or reef savvy ;)
So. What AIO had the most room in back? Biggest chambers please? Less than 100 gallons more than 35. Multiple Opinions plz? Thnx

-XENOMORPH-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends. Larger tanks have larger chambers in the back. 35 gallon aio is completely different than a 100 gallon aio. I wouldn’t get an aio larger than 45 gallons. For 45 gallons and under, I recommend Jbj and innovative marine. If you want a nicer tank, reef savvy. If you want a larger tank with a sump, SCA, Waterbox, or reef savvy ;)
I was running a 60 gallon cube with sump for 4 years. Glass seal blew out. Anyways . I saw the sca 50/60 gallon cube with sump. I am not looking to go back to a cube because they are too deep for me. (4 yrs) I like water box . Or IM. I have not looked into reef savvy? I'll Google it. Thnx

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 9.4%
Back